• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4low and neutral not engaging

dick.breakey

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having linkage issues. Confirmed 4hi works. But can't get neutral or 4low to engage. Anyone got a diagram on what the linkage should be like to work correctly?

Sent from your subconscious without you knowing.....

Sounds like whoever sold it to you, ripped you off. I think you should call the PO and demand he come to your house an repair it. I would also consider filing a law suit against him or maybe some hillbilly justice.

haha as fun as that sounds! i was made aware 4wd didnt work when I bought it. so by changing the axle, i half fixed it cause now i at least got something haha.

Loosen it at all the adjustment points and then its trial and error with somenone up top shifting and you watching. once its all working tighten back up and bam!

Well then someone come by and help me figure this out!

as for adjusting, a while back in my 96 the manual said loosen linkage, put handle in 4lo with a 1/8 spacer i believe, then manually put the tcase in 4 low and tighten linkage. it was somethhing like that.

last night i put in a sye and 2 low in my 98 np231, as per terraflex direction they had me put the handle in 2hi, and the tcase in 2hi then tighten linkage. seemed to shift fine while sitting, picking up my driveshaft from advanced drivelines tomorrow, then ill know for sure.

It has been a long time since I have had to adjust this linkage but I remember putting both linkages at one extreme and tightening it.

There is no reason you couldn't manually put it in the middle also and try that so there is less "slop" on either end.

However, all of the linkage aside. I am not convined this is your issue.
Will it go into 4 low or neutral manually?

Or does it go into the right detent but seems like the trans just doesn't operate in it?
Have you tried this when it is both cold and when it is warm?

Michael

check the teeth on the gears or the 4lo fork. my linkages were good but the flat piece of metal that conects the linkage to the case and has that litle rectangle cut out was wore out and almost rounded out. so id check that to see if thats sliping.

I havent done the manual shifting yet cause I don't exactly know where to grab. And my drag around light broke and just got one today so I'll check tomorrow. And I got a heater for the garage so I'll be happier to work on it tomorrow haha. I'll let you know what I find.

might be able to help out tomorrow

I'll be home most of the day. Hit me up if you can swing by

dick, this doesnt sound like a linkage issue if you dont have neutral and 4 low. eliminate the TCase out of the equation by unhooking the linkage at the case and shifting it manually.

But my guess is thats where your issue lies- inside the case.

X2 on shifting the case manually. It would be the quickest way to tell if it's the linage or if there's an issue inside the case.

Follow the linkage to where it bolts to the case, and undo the retaining nut (9/16?). You then should be able to put a wrench on it and turn it to the position you want.

I also have to agree with Moneypit. If I remember right both neutral and low range are controlled by a gear on the main shaft. It slides on the main shaft to engage the planetaries for low range, or allows the input shaft to spin free. Sounds like there could be an issue in that area.

Hopefully it's an easy fix with the linkage though. If not the 231's are stupidly simple to work on. However, they're also cheap, and 23 spline units aren't that hard to find.

Ok. Figured out n and 4low work. Now just to figure out how to adjust the linkage.

There's something I'm missing. I've got it in 4 low. Set it to the tightest setting and then try and shift it through the t-case gears and all I get now(which is a little better) is 2hi 4hi and n. manually it goes into 4low. So it has to be a linkage issue that I can't seem to get my head around. Maybe cause its old it's just too loose in the bushings so with a little slop in each one, by time it gets to 4low there's just enough play to keep it from going in? What else can I adjust to make this work or give it enough leverage to get the case in 4 low?

sounds like your on the right track.. try to adjust it again.. I don't think you're getting enough throw in the linkage to make it fully engage 4lo extend the longer bar by just a hair and try it again

Back