• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

48" VS 60" Hi-Lift Jack

Rocket689

NAXJA Forum User
I have a good lead on a brand new Hi-Lift X-Treme jack. I can get either the 48" or the 60" for the same price. I have a 98' XJ with a RE 4.5 lift and 33" MTZs. I'm not sure which one to get. Anybody else have either size? I don't know if the 60" is excessively too long. I'm hoping to mount it to the side of my custom safari rack i'm building. Any help would be appreciated.

hate to high jack, but how hard is it to winch with a high lift?

I'm thinking of getting a high lift to winch and lift if I need it instead of a winch right away.

i have the 48 in extreme jack and i really wish i had the 60. not for my cherokee but fot my friends that have fullsize chevys and fords on 37's and larger.....but thhe 48in is more then enough for my 33's

What the hells the winch for then?:rolleyes:

48 for me.5.5+33's

I had to use my 48" on the trail exactly once.

It got the front of the jeep just high enough to get the flat off, but I actually had to dig a friggin hole under the rig to get the inflated tire back on.

That said, lifting the bumper up 48" made it about as tippy as I felt comfortable with. Much higher and I wouldn't want to be wrestling a 35" mudder on and off...

So now I carry a bottle jack.

Robert

I have 3 48's and a 60.

I carry a bottle jack most of the time and MAYBE a 60" hi-lift. I won't waste my time with a 48" again.

hi-lifts are one of the most dangerouse tools you will ever use. buy a 60, use it as ABSOLUTE LAST RESORT.

cal said:
I have 3 48's and a 60.

I carry a bottle jack most of the time and MAYBE a 60" hi-lift. I won't waste my time with a 48" again.

hi-lifts are one of the most dangerouse tools you will ever use. buy a 60, use it as ABSOLUTE LAST RESORT.

Thankfully I've never used my highlift with the jeep ever, except to break a bead, I've had flats and always use my bottle jack and block, I found a hard piece of wood to knock upon!

saying that I used it plenty as a kid with an old f100, scared the shit out of myself a few times! Its pretty hard to lift it back up after the bumper it flat on the ground after it spits it out!

Before I bought my hilift xtreme 48" I watched alot of videos of it being used lol. I saw some people doing some really stupid stuff risking their life. I then saw people who knew what they were doing and it looked useful and safe. Just go on youtube to see people winching with it and decide how hard it looks. I dont think its going to be easy or fun if your really stuck. I think the 60" looks like it would be better for winching. It might come down to slaving away for hours to winch it out or leave the jeep behind and walk for help...

It just seems to have alot of uses to me, its not a end all replacement for a good bottle jack nor is it meant to be. In spots were a bottle wont work the hilift steps in and can save you.

Ill carry mine when I go wheelin and hope I never use it in the same way I hope to never use my spare tire ha. It was pretty cheap, american made, very well built and rebuildable to last a long time. I see it as a good investment in my wheelin future ha.

All imho of course.

Put a ratchet strap around your suspension to keep it from drooping so you won't need to lift it so high. A bottle jack is prefered and safer.

48s probably more than enough for you, but when you get in a situation where a 48 is not enough youll really wish u had a 60".

My 48" high lifts wont even get my XJ off the ground any more.

3XJFamily said:
Put a ratchet strap around your suspension to keep it from drooping so you won't need to lift it so high. A bottle jack is prefered and safer.

X2 on the ratchet strap around the axle...you wont have to jack as high and it is alot safer!!!
99XJ4X4:How much lift/tire do you have that makes a 48" hi-lift useless?

I've got the 48", which is nice, because it fits inside the XJ, but with 36s....the 48" is kinda small. It does the trick though. I do carry a bottle jack too, but if I'm too lazy to dig it out I can rachet strap the axle up to get the tire off the ground.

They're only dangerous if you don't realize that they can be dangerous!! I've used mine A LOT, and had no bad luck with it yet (knock on wood).

They work great for winching. You'll need a regular tow strap, and a big thick rachet strap to get around a tree. Pull the jeep (or other stuck vehicle) 40" or so, then tighten the rachet strap up and hi-lift winch again. Repeat until un-stuck. Oh, you'll need some shackles to get the straps attached to the hi-lift.

I don't have a high lift and don't have the bumpers or sliders to use one if I did, but after I 'parked' the almost stocker on the rear skid in wet sand with mud underlining I went to the junk yard and picked up a heavy duty SCISSORS JACK that collapses down to about 4 inches. I welded on a lug nut, carry about 6 feet of cheep ratchet extensions and can slide it and a piece of wood under almost anything. Lift axle, throw rocks in hole, continue, repeat if necessary.

outlander said:
99XJ4X4:How much lift/tire do you have that makes a 48" hi-lift useless?

Doesn't take much, really. I run 35s on 5", and like I said, I had to dig a hole to get my tire on.

Robert

iwannadie said:
(A hi-lift) just seems to have alot of uses to me...

That's funny shiite right there. "I think it's a great tool," says the guy with the death wish...

Robert

Don't mean to flame ya but if you got a 4WD cherokee man you wouldn't have that problem as much. But dont take it the wrong way just messing with ya. It still says Jeep and thats all that matters. But owning a 2wd Jeep is like owning a 6cyl sports car.:roflmao: :moon:

PhotographerMike said:
I don't have a high lift and don't have the bumpers or sliders to use one if I did, but after I 'parked' the almost stocker on the rear skid in wet sand with mud underlining I went to the junk yard and picked up a heavy duty SCISSORS JACK that collapses down to about 4 inches. I welded on a lug nut, carry about 6 feet of cheep ratchet extensions and can slide it and a piece of wood under almost anything. Lift axle, throw rocks in hole, continue, repeat if necessary.

Back