• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

48" VS 60" Hi-Lift Jack

Robert 771 said:
That's funny shiite right there. "I think it's a great tool," says the guy with the death wish...

Robert

Sorry my name isnt as creative as Robert771 lol. Im actually extremely saftey conscious. Besides plenty other people agree they are safe when your not an idiot doing stupid things with them. A floor jack can cause problems too when misused but Im sure noone here has a problem here with them.

iwannadie said:
Sorry my name isnt as creative as Robert771 lol. Im actually extremely saftey conscious. Besides plenty other people agree they are safe when your not an idiot doing stupid things with them. A floor jack can cause problems too when misused but Im sure noone here has a problem here with them.

I know, just funnin' with ya...

Robert (no-alias-needed) 771.

Robert 771 said:
I know, just funnin' with ya...

Robert (no-alias-needed) 771.

I do see the irony in 'iwannadie supports the hi-death-lift!'. Just hard to read when someone is joking so I got a lil defensive ; p

Winching with hi lift is easy. Setting up your rigging and keeping things functionally clean can be a pain if you're stuck in the mud. Rerigging your setup every four feet could also get to be a bit of a pain during a long pull. You might consider having a Jackmate and a long (25 feet) chain (with just one hook) on hand to make things easier.

What about the Xtreme hilift thats mentioned here. Isnt that more geared toward winching with the attachment on the end. They also sell the winch kit which seemed like long pulls werent too bad with the rerigging.

iwannadie said:
What about the Xtreme hilift thats mentioned here. Isnt that more geared toward winching with the attachment on the end. They also sell the winch kit which seemed like long pulls werent too bad with the rerigging.

You're right, rerigging is not bad with that kit, but its a bit easier and safer with a Jackmate. You can also use the Jackmate as a base when lifting if you don't have a flat surface. Not that I'm a Jackmate salesman. Just my 2 cents.

Me, I'm an older XJer not getting younger, so an electric winch just keeps looking better, just like a camping trailer looks better than a tent.

Hi-Lifts just get bad rap. They are usefull under certain circumstances...

I can only remember using mine like 2-3 times on the trail. First time I used a combo Hi-Lift and Bottle Jack to stabilize the Jeep. (bent my steering and had to sleeve it) See, there is another use for a Hi-Lift, the handle comes off and can be used to sleeve bent parts.

ReiterMomorialDay08018internet.jpg

ReiterMomorialDay08024internet.jpg

ReiterMomorialDay08025internet.jpg

ReiterMomorialDay08026internet.jpg

Just be smart and before you climb under the Jeep, try to push the Jeep with your hands to make sure its not going anywhere...

Keil

Chad29860 said:
Don't mean to flame ya but if you got a 4WD cherokee man you wouldn't have that problem as much.
Got on my flame suit. I'm an old guy and mine does what I want.
As we used to say' "4 W.D. just lets you get back further in before you get stuck." My sugestion was that; "a heavy duty SCISSORS JACK that collapses down to about 4 inches." can slide in where the factory bottle jack will not fit while still fitting under the back seat. A High Lift is great for recovery (I have one) if you have the time and travel alone, but for lifting the Jeep you need rock sliders and/or after market bumpers. If a person just needs to lift a tire off the ground a scissors jack might be a good solution.

Chad29860 said:
It still says Jeep and thats all that matters.
If it does what you want and keeps you happy . . .
IMHO, YMMV, we own 2 Cherokees, etc.

Chad29860 said:
But owning a 2wd Jeep is like owning a 6cyl sports car.
Like you we have a 4 w.d. 1989 also and once I get the 8.25 and locker installed we'll head off road. As for sports cars, give me small, light & agile any time. Look here; http://dpcars.net way more than I could ever handle.

Thanks for all of the input. I ended up getting the 60". Surf2Snow brought up a good point; if I don't like it, I'll cut it to what ever length I need. :jester:

Back