• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.5" lifted XJ clunks now...

well I got the elignment and they said balljoints are good.. so it could be u joints in the axle.... or... I dont know.. i checked everything. tonight I will check the brake caliper bolts... I hope its them. if not anyone think it could be the yoke on my front DS worn out... clunking? and I dont have a front skid plate so it couldnt be that.... runing out of ideas. thanks with all the help so far guys

My xj isnt lifted but it had the same problem..replace the straps that hold the u-joint to the yoke at the diff....mine were worn out and allowing the u-joint to move side to side. and its only like 3$ for them, might as well try

shot in the dark...
I got the 4.5 lift with The RE extreme duty track bar...
did the same thing when i got it. I found it to be where the track bar mounts to the axle, the sleeve on the TB was about 1/8" bigger than the bolt that monuts it. so when it's tight it does not moove unless there is alot of pressure on it... say cranking the wheel in reverse. the axle then moves to the left or right that small amount. but when you check it it looks tight because it doesn't move...
I had two of my friends push side to side on the thing to figure it out.
worked for me to replace the bolt with one that fit the inside of the trackbar, and drill out the axle bigger..
But i can't hear the sound so i can't say if its the same. but somthing to check...
good luck

2 Cents
-Mark

Back