• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.10's with 33's

Haleyes, I would much rather go to 4.56's. I just don't have the money at the moment to buy the new carrier for the 30, master install kits, and both sets of gears. Also, with me having to pay for school coming up, this will be really my only chance at getting to regear both my axles for around $200. I know that 4.10's are not ideal for 33's but it HAS to be better than what I am currently running. Plus if 4.10's are going to put me back to a "stock" feel, that is good enough for me. Plus, if later on down the road if i really want 4.56's I can just buy the R&P and install them. not that big of a deal. By that time, I will probably be swapping axles anyways.

You'll still need a new carrier for the D30 to run 4.10s.

I understand the money thing trust me. I went with 4.10's the first time because I could do it cheap.

One thing people are not mentioning is even though 4.10/33s is almost exactly equal to stock as far as final drive ratio goes...it doesn't account for the much heavier tire/wheel combo needing to be turned.

I have 4.10s right now and until Friday I'm on 30s. It's awesome! Going to 33s and may end up dropping down to 32s because of the low-end torque...I'll see how I like it and then decide if I'm going down to 32s. I'm not re-gearing right now so I'll fit the tire size (choosing between 32s and 33s) to the gears I have. 32s and 33s are not going to make a difference on where I can go with my setup (locked F&R, skids). HaleYes is right...33s and 4.10s will be fine unless you've driven 33s and 4.56! It's just like people saying no need to re-gear going to 31s. HA! Drive 31s on 4.10s and then tell me that!!!

I think 31/32 is good on 4.10s. 33s need to be stepped up to 4.56 for optimal performance on AND off road.

Last edited:
Those free gears will cost you more in the end than replacing them.

Sell the 4.10's for $100 on ebay, and buy 4.56 or 4.88 gears. You'll thank yourself when its done.

One thing people are not mentioning is even though 4.10/33s is almost exactly equal to stock as far as final drive ratio goes...it doesn't account for the much heavier tire/wheel combo needing to be turned.

Correct! The numbers on paper don't always agree with real world experience.

Correct! The numbers on paper don't always agree with real world experience.
I hate my 4:10 ,33" combo for towing, mountain passes ,and mud. For offroading, goat trails and krawling its good
I will not regear until I hit 35's

Last edited:
Those free gears will cost you more in the end than replacing them.

Sell the 4.10's for $100 on ebay, and buy 4.56 or 4.88 gears. You'll thank yourself when its done.

Best suggestion so far......

Best suggestion so far......

Here is the thing.........The guy that I am getting the gears from for free is also going to essentially install them for me while I help. He paid for the gears, carrier, and master install kit and is GIVING it all to me. So to me, it wouldn't be right for me to take the stuff and sell it and then buy something else and then bring it back to him and expect him to install it all without question....Just doesn't seem right for me to do.

I'll settle this, sell me the gears, install kit and carrier and I won't tell your friend. I'm out of work so you will be helping me out! You can even give him some of the money!

I'm not kidding. Pm me if you decide to sell them!!

it doesn't account for the much heavier tire/wheel combo needing to be turned.
Yes!!!
Not just the extra weight, but the rotating mass.

You guys that keep saying that 4.10's and 33's is a good combo. I'd venture to be that you've never ran anything else to compare it to! You obviously don't know what you're missing out on if you think 4.10's are the shiznit.

This is actually my third xj and third gear and sixth tire&gearing setup. I have a 2000 auto 2wd 3.55 and 235/75s. I had a 1998 4wd 5spd with 33s and 4.88s. And on the jeep I spoke of earlier it started out stock 5spd and then went to 31s, then i reaxled to 410s with 31s and while yes it was very quick i spent more time shifting than accelerating. Now i'm at 33s with 4.10s 5spd. I find that I 99% of the time can run in fifth through my entire commute on the highway and never downshift. And did i mention I carry alot of extra weight and wind drag with me everywhere. If you want the deepest gears just to have the numbers then do that. This is a daily driver and I don't want to spin 3000 all day on the highway. (just for refference i spin 2200 aproximately at 65).

Not as high as you would think.

55 mph : 2050 RPM
70 mph : 2609 RPM
80 mph : 2981 RPM

If your talking 5spd 33s with 410s than you should check your numbers
55 = 2100
65 = 2500
75 = 2950
80 = 3100

I know its not alot bud when those few hundred rpms make a big diff when you only running a cat and a turndown. :wow:

The OP is discussing an AUTOMATIC / 4.10's and 33" tires. . . It seems like every other thread lately turns into an off-topic pissing match.

To the OP: $200 to get 4.10's under your Jeep makes it a "good enough" upgrade - puts it into the same price range as "a junk yard axle upgrade" - not the ideal ratio for 33's but "good enough" is what we gotta settle for sometimes. Maybe your friend would be willing to install deeper gears that you supply and sell the 4.10's himself. . . for a little more $, it would be worth it to go deeper. . . you know him better than any of us, and know if it's an option.

Remember everyone offering opinions at one point thought Santa Claus was real and girls were "yucky." Deeper is better. For more info and less opinions read this:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101355

Must have been a little loopy last night at 2 in the morning. :confused1 I apologize, I could have sworn up and down he said 5sp. 3xjfamily is correct in his assesment. 410s are better than 3.55 but with an auto go as deep as you can and don't look back.

This is actually my third xj and third gear and sixth tire&gearing setup. I have a 2000 auto 2wd 3.55 and 235/75s. I had a 1998 4wd 5spd with 33s and 4.88s. And on the jeep I spoke of earlier it started out stock 5spd and then went to 31s, then i reaxled to 410s with 31s and while yes it was very quick i spent more time shifting than accelerating. Now i'm at 33s with 4.10s 5spd. I find that I 99% of the time can run in fifth through my entire commute on the highway and never downshift. And did i mention I carry alot of extra weight and wind drag with me everywhere. If you want the deepest gears just to have the numbers then do that. This is a daily driver and I don't want to spin 3000 all day on the highway. (just for refference i spin 2200 aproximately at 65).

But you SHOULD be spinning at 3,000 RPM's all day. The 4.0 wants to be at 2500+ for best economy.

FWIW, on my recent trip to Winterfest, I averaged almost 17 mpg. That's pretty good IMHO. 4.0, AW4, 33's & 4.88's Mostly Interstate driving.

Back