• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3rd row seat.

Thanks
561063453_downer1_answer_2_xlarge.jpg

Child Safety. How mature of you!

With a 3rd row added or not there will still be that chance of an accident so are you saying the more than a 2 feet of an axle will become the crumple zone? not likely and "IF" that happens I would think just about everyone in both cars will have some if not major problems!

A7 -

Congrats on the family. I have #4 due in October, so I'm in a similar situation (8, 7, 3yrs + baby). I wouldn't consider the boat seat option...just doesn't seem safe; lap belts only, not designed for vehicle speed impacts.

Everytime i walk past a Volvo wagon inthe wrecking yard, I think about how one of their seats might fit into the cargo area...

m83o93la5Y25O15Z0b5e3b1cab309f011c2c.jpg

A Range Rover (admitedly less popular in most yards :) )...

9480.JPG

From a '98 Audi...
images

From TrailVoy...

images

Older Durango 3rd rows seem pretty simple/flat for a possible mod...

140.jpg

Looks like I am in the same boat.

These pics are giving me ideas for a tailgunner...

Last edited:
an expedition or tahoe both have 3rd row seating and are more trail worthy than a burban.

Go full size!! When you put kids and adults together in small spaces for long periods of time nobody's happy. You'll have to go bigger sometime anyway. Soon there will be bikes and sports equipment and kids friends and and and. Been there, done that. Had 3 kids and a 3/4t 4x4 Suburban, it was always full . Now we're down to 1 kid and drive XJs

did you sell the other two? if so, what prices did they bring? looking to sell the neighbor's kids but unsure where to start.

an expedition or tahoe both have 3rd row seating and are more trail worthy than a burban.
I don't think Tahoes got third row seating until the 07 model year. I could be wrong, it might have been present in the previous gen as well...

I don't think Tahoes got third row seating until the 07 model year. I could be wrong, it might have been present in the previous gen as well...
i've seen the earlier ones with it, likely an optional thing. possibly aftermarket, but either way, should be plenty of room. expeditions pull it off and they're about the same size. i'd probably take an early expedition over a tahoe, the twin i beam is probably a little better for wheeling than a arms, based on my wheeling days with rangers. decent articulation.

eh, guess you're right. i though they hung with the i beams for a little longer. i'm out of the loop, i dont buy newer trucks.

expeditions are solid trucks. here's a link to a russian expedition with,..well...expeditions:http://www.moscow-chukotka.com/eng/?page_id=3

We had a 2003, and it was rock solid and very comfy offroad. I like the 1997-2001's due to their solid rear axles and simpler overall setup, but we never had an issue with the IRS of our 2003. (shrug)

I have 3 kids, and our XJ seems a bit small at times. I tend to look around for bigger rigs, too.

Oh, and to the OP's question, I'd just get a bigger rig, bro, as tough as it would be to sell. (Maybe you could keep the Jeep and get a bigger rig)

Last edited:
OP: I'm in the same situation with four kids. I've already got a Suburban and it's a great truck, but not an XJ replacement. The XJ is getting a cage and a rear Wrangler seat in back. Mostly so we can all squeeze in on the 'family runs' together.

If it were me I'd build a bracket that goes from fender well to fender well for seat brackets and install 2 sandrail seats side by side. Depending on seat height I'd find something for neck support IE headrest in case of an accident., but I say go for it! Don't let these guys discourage you! Its only because they are the type of people who buy everything they put on their jeeps and they are jealous of a mod you have to build yourself. I know it wouldn't be that hard to build. Kids not need seat height , this just gives em reason to not kick the back of your seat :) plus they will have a front row seat to the rear speakers... Be super fun to ge into the jeep from the hatch, the kids will be fighting for the new seats :)

You may want to consider some kind of grab handle in the back, so the kids can shut the hatch themselves. Either a loop of old seatbelt, or check volvos for the strap on the rear hatch.

May also want to rig up a way to open the hatch from the inside. I was thinking of adding one of those glow in the dark handles off a later passenger car, but a full on handle would be sweet.

Don't let these guys discourage you! Its only because they are the type of people who buy everything they put on their jeeps and they are jealous of a mod you have to build yourself.

Yep that's it...:dunce:

I'm waiting to see an actual post with pictures (with kids) of an actual sucessful and safe setup. This post is now 8 months old and so far, all I see are pictures of factory setups in vehicles with floor pans and roof lines that are nothing like that of an XJ.

This setup isn't bad as long as it wasn't driven on the street. Little heads are still right by the rear glass. Helmets would help.

img0928b.jpg

I think the install and support on this setup is sketch, but the video shows the headroom. It's not bad actually given the size of the boy.
1310926046476.png

Last edited:
Back