• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

36" iroks on a 2 door.....how much lift is necessary?

olivedrabcj7

NAXJA Member #1384
alright alright alright....just scored me a hella deal on a 97 2 door XJ. it will be here in the morning. i want to run 36x13.50 iroks. ive had several 4 door XJ's on 33's. i plan to swap axles and regear but thats another thread.......anyway.......on a 2 door XJ, assuming im handy with the milwaukee fender slammer (the reciprocating saw....not the beer)......how much lift do i really need? im thinking either the RE 5.5 or rustys 6.5 and trimming should be good. are there any good pictures of XJ's with this setup? or pictures of trimming the rear of a 2 door XJ? thanks in advance!

post up a pic if you can

Be creative with the sheet metal and you could get away with 5-5.5" of lift.

The benefit is a lower center of gravity AND room for large tires!

Here's one with 38's on 3". He had to trim a bit :D

crazymofo.2.jpg

and away goes cheapxj's throne of low lift big tires

thats ridiculous.....it would look better and do just as good at 3" with 35's......

I had the RE 5.5" kit with 37" MT/R's. Just a little fender trimming and proper bumpstops will take you a long way. I did not have to rebuild/reweld the rear wheel wells either, on a 4 door. I just did the cut and fold method, like Jason did on his Bushwacker install article on his site, www.jeepin.com

jeeppowermj said:
I'd imagine that thing is for strictly mud. You need big tires in mud around here. Does anybody have info on this(engine, axles, etc...)
All stock.... he posted the specs on jeep forum, or lack-there-of

It was from another forum. this is an exerpt of what the owner had to say about it:

"1995 XJ 4.0 2 Door 3 Inch Skyjacker Lift. 38.5 x 11x15 Swamper Boggers. Homemade-gas, tran, motor & T/C skid plates,front bumper and sidebars." (from his sig)

"no special axles. a lot of cutting. right now i i have evrything cut and i just need to fix metal. on the fire wall there was a wiring harness thing but that is no longer there. i moved my winshiled wiper fluid tank inside the jeep, my battery inside, elimintated the coolant resevoir. i use this thing for mudding so i have my bump stops extended. the front rubs when i turn all the way. also on the front i had to make a support or stabalizer or whatever you want to call it since the old wheel well actually held the pressure front the coil spring pushing up on it. as for the wheels they are normal rock crawlers...." (from post)

ok guess ryan still ahs the lowest lift biggest tire that is most functional

well in the mud he might be able to get by with that

HELLS YEAH!! my jeep will be here in the morning....just talked to the guy delivering it....1700 bucks for a 97 2 door XJ....i stole that thing...anyway, i just bought a rustys 4.5" kit with full leafs in the rear, all brand new....without any control arms....i gave 450 bucks for it and it is local so no shipping!....comes with an adjustable trackbar, shocks, full packs, brakelines, coils, and a cool lookin sticker. im now in the market for some adjustable control arms upper and lower, and a BB to put on top of this kit to make it about 6-6.5" then ill be looking for some used 36" swamper TSL's, or IROKS!!!!!! ;) i just took out my sawzall a minute ago, put a new blade in it, plugged her in and made sure shes in good working order.... im gettin real excited!!! ( evil grin ) somebody hook me up on these parts!!! pics with the buildup will follow. in the mean time somebody post up pics and info on how you trimmed the rear of your 2 door XJ. :)

I hope your kidding about 6.5" of lift on stock control arms! Id spend yer money on a longarm kit before you get 36s. That thing is gonna ride like sh*t on stock control arms.

not stock control arms....adjustable uppers and lowers...dont want longarms...id rather have drop brackets but i cant find any.

olivedrabcj7 said:
not stock control arms....adjustable uppers and lowers...dont want longarms...id rather have drop brackets but i cant find any.

i guess i could always buy new ones for like 250 though....thats cheapeer than adjustable arms.....matter of fact i may do that!!

oh sorry, I didnt realize that you were talkin about gettin adjustable short arms. I guess its the beer!!!

think 6.5" on adjustable shorties will work decent? this jeep will be 75% trail and 25% street (to and from trails if not trailered to the trailhead) ??? i sure hope so....im not gonna have enough moolah for long arms...plus they have lots of drawbacks....

however i may go with the drop brackets with my stock control arms. whichever ends up being cheaper. if i can find some adjustable uppers and lowers for cheaper than DB's and braces then thats the route....if not then drop brackets it is!

Back