• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

36" iroks on a 2 door.....how much lift is necessary?

olivedrabcj7 said:
think 6.5" on adjustable shorties will work decent? this jeep will be 75% trail and 25% street (to and from trails if not trailered to the trailhead) ??? i sure hope so....im not gonna have enough moolah for long arms...plus they have lots of drawbacks....

however i may go with the drop brackets with my stock control arms. whichever ends up being cheaper. if i can find some adjustable uppers and lowers for cheaper than DB's and braces then thats the route....if not then drop brackets it is!

Most people that have DB's have aftermarket CA's. I have DB's w/braces, RE fixed SF lowers and SF ADJ uppers. People get the DB's t get rid of the crappy angles the lift gives, not so they can use their stock arms............ :wierd:

oh well....with 6.5" of lift and 36's.....its not exactly going to have 30" of wheel travel available...... :/

olivedrabcj7 said:
however i may go with the drop brackets with my stock control arms. whichever ends up being cheaper.

Usually whenever people talk about 36s, "cheap" usually isn't in the same sentence. What are you doing for axles and gears?

8.8 rear lock right, stock d30 front open, 4.56's all around

i thought 4.56 was the tallest you could go with a 30...maybe i will go with 4.88's then....i want to leave the front open for ease of turning on tight trails and that axle isnt exactly beef either. ill swap in somethin better when i get sick of breaking it. lol

I see that you are a member on jeepforum, shoot an email to redrock4x4 and see what you can get a set of RE drop brackets for, you will probably be pleasantly suprised!

SONOFAB**CH!!!!!!! the guys wife just called me to inform me that he had to turn around and come back at like 2am this morning because the transmission was messing up. i guess this means i wont be getting my jeep this morning.....(throw cup of coffe in frustration).......she said he is going to call me when he wakes up. hopefully he will get the tranny fixed and still sell it to me. daaaammmiiiittttttt!!!!!!!!!

I just got off the phone with him and he said they ran codes on it this morning and it has a bad o2 sensor....Apparently the guy delivering it said it was "hesitating" and acting like it was between 3rd and 4th gear. So he freaked out and went back. He also said it was doing fine at 70+ mph and at 60 and below but right around 65 is when it would do that. He said the transmission has new fluid in it and its full. My guess (or hope) is that its the bad o2 sensor and the computer didnt like the readings so it was trying to adjust for it and making it run crappy. any other thoughts?

got the jeep this morning....drove like crap....had to shift it manually.......replaced the TPS and it drives like a brand new jeep. im so proud of myself its unbelievable.......doesnt knock, leak or burn oil, shifts all nice and smooth, starts right up every time, all the guages and lights and everything works........the motor looks like its brand new....no grease or oil anywhere on it. i know i know i kick @$$........stay tuned for the build ;)

woody431 said:
Usually whenever people talk about 36s, "cheap" usually isn't in the same sentence. What are you doing for axles and gears?

After 32's or 33's, you step beyond cheap. 31's and a 3" lift of 2" bb is the definition of cheap and very versatile. How do I know? I was there, now I'm going with hp44/9" with all the goodies, 241 Rock Trac Rubicon T-case and 37" mtrs. 7-8" lift

olivedrabcj7 said:
got the jeep this morning....drove like crap....had to shift it manually.......replaced the TPS and it drives like a brand new jeep. im so proud of myself its unbelievable.......doesnt knock, leak or burn oil, shifts all nice and smooth, starts right up every time, all the guages and lights and everything works........the motor looks like its brand new....no grease or oil anywhere on it. i know i know i kick @$$........stay tuned for the build ;)

Good deal on that 97' XJ. Wow. Have fun with it and wheel it like you stole it, because you did. :laugh3:

got a few items piling up now

1997 XJ
48c210ec.jpg

CV front driveshaft (going to use in the rear with SYE)
97XJ007.jpg

rustys 4.5" kit with full leaf packs (no pics yet.....you know what it looks like)

2" BB to go on top of the 4.5" kit
97XJ019.jpg

RE drop brackets (braces are still in the mail)
97XJ014.jpg

cragar soft 8's
97XJ013.jpg

36x12.50 swamper TSL's
97XJ008.jpg

wheels and tires mounted
97XJ017.jpg

thats all for now...ill get more pics as more stuff comes in!!! i cant WAIT to tear into this thing!!!

Here it is about 9 moths ago at 7" and 36" Iroks, home built LA's
picture.JPG

picture.JPG

Here it is in Moab about 6 months ago in moab same height
picture.JPG

picture.JPG

THATS FRIGGIN SWEET!!!! you say its 7" of lift...what brand of lift is that? almost looks like skyjaker 8" coils. got any pictures of how you did the trimming??

Yes they are 8" skyjacker coils. It has settled down about an inch all around. The rear is 6" Bigoffroad leafs and an RE 1.25 shackle.The Long arms are made by me and my buddy. 1.5" tube with .25 wall and Aurora Rod ends everywhere exept the ftrame mounts for LA's which are johnnys. Front end is a waggy D44 with tacked 760's and an Aussie, the rear is a D44 from a ScoutII,trussed with a full spool. 4.88's, OBA (old AC) , AW4 with switch for 1-2 gear, exo cage awaitong interior cage, steel half doors,TJ flares Ramsey 8.5, homemade rear bumper, Rigidco front bumper, boat vents on hood, homemade rock sliders, belly skid from DPG,Camaro rear disc's, warn,15X8" steelies,hubs.some other crap.
Heres some pics of the buildup
HEEP BUILD UP

Heep said:
Yes they are 8" skyjacker coils. It has settled down about an inch all around. The rear is 6" Bigoffroad leafs and an RE 1.25 shackle.The Long arms are made by me and my buddy. 1.5" tube with .25 wall and Aurora Rod ends everywhere exept the ftrame mounts for LA's which are johnnys. Front end is a waggy D44 with tacked 760's and an Aussie, the rear is a D44 from a ScoutII,trussed with a full spool. 4.88's, OBA (old AC) , AW4 with switch for 1-2 gear, exo cage awaitong interior cage, steel half doors,TJ flares Ramsey 8.5, homemade rear bumper, Rigidco front bumper, boat vents on hood, homemade rock sliders, belly skid from DPG,Camaro rear disc's, warn,15X8" steelies,hubs.some other crap.
Heres some pics of the buildup
HEEP BUILD UP

Thanks

you dont need the BB... 4.5" will do it..
check out my homepage.. I only have 34's, (they measure 33.5) and I am sure I could stuff 36's in there. I have about 4" of lift. the rear you will need to make a couple cuts and beat everything back with a BFH.. especially the rear lower. The front, just cut it way back, and beat the pinch seam over.
If its for the trails you wont care what it looks like.. but make sure its Inspected first (if you need that for tags)... but look at CheapXj's posts.. he has done alot with a little...

heres the 4.5" rustys kit (minus control arms) sitting in the back of the jeep
97XJ024.jpg

Back