• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

35's and 4.10's, How bad am I gonna hate it?!

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I just got a great deal on some 35's that I can't pass up. I never planned on going above 33's.

Right now I'm on a D-30/8.25 combo, 4.10's, locked/locked and alloy shafts. I'm running 32's and its just right on the road and not bad in the rock.

I build my own axles and was planning a rear 8.25 (trussed and welded tubes) geared to 4.88, full Detroit and disc brakes and a front disco HP D-30 4.88's (trussed and welded tubes, 1 piece shaft) and a Aussie but money is tight right now.

Those of you who have run 35's and 4.10's:
How bad am I gonna hate it on road and off?

4.0/AW4/NP231

on road with a hill at highway speed sucks. offroad no problems. i run 4.88 with an auto and 35's BFG'S it is still not enough gear for hills flat land it is ok

Id say your going to hate it! Both my rigs(both 4.0's and AW-4's) have 4:1 T-cases,and run 33's.One with 4.10's and one with 4.56's,No Comparison!

You'll hate it....BUT....If you are running 32's and 4.10s and think it's "OK" you may not think it's that bad.
I ran 33's, 4.10's, AW4 with a stock Tcase and I absolutly hated it.
I can't imagine 35's......

I was running 33's with 4.88 gears and had no freeway speed. Off road they were OK. Just went to 35's and like it much better. The speedometer is now correct and the RPM's have come down. Now if I can just solve my long standing overheating problem all would be well.

Try it. If you don't like it you can always gear later.

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." - Douglas Adams

i have an ax-15 4.0 ho and 4.10s on 35s. does 55-60 mph @ 19-2100 rpm ,15 mpg.

highway its fine
off road its ok but id like to go a little deeper

I am runnin 4:10's AW4 and 35's. Any slight hill it will down shift on the highway, and head winds, you will be in third gear to stay at 65. I have a 4:1 t case so offroad is great, but without it would really suck!!

someone posted about 4.88s for the eight and a q. not too long ago, I'm looking for some for my heep. I've seen them advertised. I had the misfortune of having a set of tires cut, Go Vandals!! So I ended up finding a great deal on a set of 35" bfg a/t. Am in the process of building axle/ locker combo. So I got stuck runnin stock gears and 35s. It sucks, so be glad and build on.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I will give it a shot and see how bad it is but most likely I'll be regearing in the spring. I can run my 32's till then and I have the other axles to build in my shop so there's no hurry there.

I plan on the tera-low/2-low kit in the near future as well but obviously if I can't afford gears, I can't afford that right now either.

Not trying to clutter up your thread, but how are the 4.10's with the 32's on the highway? I'm running 32's right now and am trying to decide between 4.10 and 4.56. Searching here, I found that 4.10's are better for gas mileage but 4.56's are better for power, so I'm not too sure what to do since it's my daily driver.

Not trying to clutter up your thread, but how are the 4.10's with the 32's on the highway? I'm running 32's right now and am trying to decide between 4.10 and 4.56. Searching here, I found that 4.10's are better for gas mileage but 4.56's are better for power, so I'm not too sure what to do since it's my daily driver.

If you EVER plan on going bigger than 32's go deeper, as deep as you can!

4.10's and 32's feel stock here in the mountains and if you have ever been in the Blue Ridge Mtns you know how steep the roads are in them. I have no issues with this combo on or off road. My mileage is same as a stock XJ, power has the stock feel.

I run 33's w/ 4.56s and I'm not sure it was such a good idea. Offroad it rocks but the on road manners.... Well let's just say that I am less than pleased. At 70 mph the engine is at 25to 27k RPMs and the steering has a lot of play (I have just equated it to being in the power band) and on long drives can make the trip real fun. I am actually considering going down to 4.10s just to get some highway manuverability back.

Now I am told that w/ 4.56 and 35's it will be much better but I won't know the answer to that for another couple of years when I go to them (gota wear out the ones I have right now). Maybe I am the only one who thinks this but it's just my opinion.

Ray

I run 33's w/ 4.56s and I'm not sure it was such a good idea. Offroad it rocks but the on road manners.... Well let's just say that I am less than pleased. At 70 mph the engine is at 25to 27k RPMs and the steering has a lot of play (I have just equated it to being in the power band) and on long drives can make the trip real fun. I am actually considering going down to 4.10s just to get some highway manuverability back.

Now I am told that w/ 4.56 and 35's it will be much better but I won't know the answer to that for another couple of years when I go to them (gota wear out the ones I have right now). Maybe I am the only one who thinks this but it's just my opinion.

Ray

you need to fix your steering and make sure its aligned proporly, caster or toe may be off.

with a manual trans in my 89 with 31's and 4.10 gearing and 4.5" of lift, im turning exactly 2500rpms at 65 mph(in 5th gear) and around 2700rpms at 70mph and i like it that way. i have no problems with the steering. having it this way i dont need to downshift on the highway if passing or if i hit a steep incline.

Update!

I'm running the 35's on 4.10s for now and I see no difference than when I had the 32's on. My 4.0 has 200k on it but runs strong. My mileage is unchanged right now. I haven't driven above 60 in it so we will see how it does on the interstate later this week. I'm using my GPS for a speedo right now, no need buying a correction gear until I re-gear.

I'm still building my axles, its just not going to have to happen asap now. I should be re-geared by mid Jan.

to go against the grain...
i run the 4.0/aw4 with 37x12.50's and 4.10's.
i think it does ok on the highway, it downshifts at a hill but will maintain 70mph on the cruise. the motor only has 78k on it though, so maybe that makes a difference?
it does need a regear for highway driving IMO, but with a 4:1 klune ready to go infront of the 231, i definately wont need it offroad!
my last rig (very built yj) had a bored 4.3 chevy/700r4, with 4.88's and 37x14.50's. to be honest, the xj doesnt feel too much worse than that did on the same stretch of road.
maybe i will get the jk axles regeared next year who knows....
martin

Back