• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

.357 Sig or .40 S&W

Which Caliber for my new CCW Weapon

• .40 S&W

Votes: 20 66.7%
  • .357 Sig

Votes: 10 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Cz75 Compacts are nice...a little heavy due to all steel.

That, plus they just don't feel comfortable to me. We are issued Glock 23's for work, and while I can shoot one well, they just don't have a natural point of aim to me, and overall just don't feel right. I have nothing bad to say about Glock durability, they are great Weapons, just not for me.

Fair enough. That's pretty much how I feel about compacts in general.

Well I carry a .40 S&W at work and I love it...great gun comes with 3 different grips to choose from. Its easy to take apart and clean and Ive never had any malfunctions with it.

I carry a Glock 22. Its the full sized glock in .40 cal. Its a little big for concealed carry in the summer time but in the winter it no problem with a jacket or longer shirts. I like the Glocks and not sure why they get bad mouthed so much. I voted for 357 sig though because thats what I want but not always easy to find rounds for it. Just dont carry anything smaller than that, I see a lot of guys with holes in them and none of them tell me they have been shot with a .40 or larger, all of them are dead. Its always 9mm or .22's and a few shotguns. The shotguns aint perty but they live to tell about it, well some of them.

Everyone can say .40 is the best or .45 is the best. It all depends on what feels comfortable to you. Personally I carry an XD compact .45, and I would not trade it for the world. My buddy has a .40 Glock that he thought he loved, then I took him out shooting and after firing a few rounds with my XD he is now getting rid of his .40 to get a .45 because he was more accurate and more comfortable with mine. Thats why you need to get out try a few different guns in a few different calibers and then make your choice. Both the calibers you are looking at are good in there own way, Just figure out which one fits you best. Sorry for the long post just my .02 cents.

That, plus they just don't feel comfortable to me. We are issued Glock 23's for work, and while I can shoot one well, they just don't have a natural point of aim to me, and overall just don't feel right. I have nothing bad to say about Glock durability, they are great Weapons, just not for me.

That's pretty much the same for me. Just can't stand the feel of the gun, I don't care for the operation, I like having the ability to know for certain if my gun is in single or double action - and have the choice of which it's in. The Glock grip angle is what I couldn't get used to - I always shoot high with a glock.

Everyone can say .40 is the best or .45 is the best. It all depends on what feels comfortable to you. Personally I carry an XD compact .45, and I would not trade it for the world. My buddy has a .40 Glock that he thought he loved, then I took him out shooting and after firing a few rounds with my XD he is now getting rid of his .40 to get a .45 because he was more accurate and more comfortable with mine. Thats why you need to get out try a few different guns in a few different calibers and then make your choice. Both the calibers you are looking at are good in there own way, Just figure out which one fits you best. Sorry for the long post just my .02 cents.

Not at all, thanks for the post. XD .45 Compact is my carry weapon right now, and I LOVE that Pistol. However there are times when I would like something lighter and smaller, and the .45 just doesn't fit that bill.

The main difference was in quality and feel I have yet to shoot a Glock I would own. athe XD on the otherhand feels and shoots great. I believe J&G online has used police XD's for sale right now. Good guy to deal with.

I had both, sold the 40 and have the 357Sig still. The 357 for me is more accurate. Recoil is more snappy but less push then the 40. Ballistics are pretty good imo and better then the 40 but that's subjective of course. Ammo is osrta more expensive but while everyone else ran out of 40 cal there was still plenty of 357 on the shelf.

Reloading gets you some super hot and fun rounds.

I think the SW has a higher bore line so that should help with the snap of the round.

Oh and it's a cannon, ie loud. You don't have to hit the guy your shooting at the blast and sound will scare the crap out of him.

I had both, sold the 40 and have the 357Sig still. The 357 for me is more accurate. Recoil is more snappy but less push then the 40. Ballistics are pretty good imo and better then the 40 but that's subjective of course. Ammo is osrta more expensive but while everyone else ran out of 40 cal there was still plenty of 357 on the shelf.

Reloading gets you some super hot and fun rounds.

I think the SW has a higher bore line so that should help with the snap of the round.

Oh and it's a cannon, ie loud. You don't have to hit the guy your shooting at the blast and sound will scare the crap out of him.

Thanks for your reply, thats the type of info i'm looking for. I've read the .357 is supposed to be a very accurate round (as long as you do your part), and I am looking for more opinions on that. There is definitely always .357 on the shelves, even at Wally World.

yeah it's accurate but more a function of the gun, barrel, shooter I would think. You can get reloads that shoot very tight groups or ones that are not so accurate.

As for what gun is best, go some where and shoot a few different models. What feels best in one persons hand and shoots well for them can suck for the next guy. Personally the XD does not shoot well for me. I have always been an average shooting and finding a gun that fit me has drastically improved my shooting. The only gun I will carry is Glock just because of this.

The Glock grip angle is what I couldn't get used to - I always shoot high with a glock.

Weird, that's one of the things I like about em.
If you wanna spend a little more, check out some HKs... those are my absolute favorite. The USP compact (.40) might suit ya well.

I'm not a Glock fan, but that's all we have that is .357Sig, and it does well. We also have a .40 cal Glock and it does ok too, but that .357 is so much more fun to shoot.

If you are a fan of Glocks, I understand you can take a Glock 20 (10mm version) and change the barrels out and you can shoot both the .40 and .357 our of it. I believe you can even use the same clip but don't quote me on that part, even though it makes complete sense.

Most .40 and .357SIG pistols are identical except for the barrel. Buy the barrel for the other caliber and you have a gun that can shoot two different calibers by swapping the barrel. It works in Glocks and SIGs, if I remember right, SIG used to offer the extra barrel as a package deal.
The Glock 20 can be converted to .40 and .357SIG with aftermarket barrels only. I know that Jarvis makes a G20 .40S&W barrel.
You say that you have a .40 Glock, buy the same length Glock barrel in 357SIG and you are in business. A genuine Glock barrel goes for $150 at Long Wolf.

Well I ended up getting the pistol in .40S&W, it turns out the .357Sig is harder to find than I thought. I found a replacement .357 barrel for $113, so I will be getting that at some point, then i'll have 2 guns in one. Hopefully i'll get to shoot it today. Here are a couple crappy cell phone pics:

MP1.jpg

MP2.jpg

Back