• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM+ (or "Super Stock") XJ build questions

PICTURES!

Hmmmmm--donuts!

My 90 Sport, OEM donut.

Tough call, but if you're going to be doing a re-gear/disc upgrade/differential swap on a 8.25(could obviously save money and find a 4.10 8.25, but,...)You might want to consider a ford explorer 8.8 swap instead. I know it's not factory parts, but, a little searching(not much) can turn up an explorer rear axle with 4.10 gears, disc brakes, and a limited slip(clutch type) that's a pretty easy swap. You could finish the rest of the build, and then swap in a rear tru-trac at your leisure. It would save the cost of rear gears and rear discs.

X2

I´ll throw in a "real" Detroit Locker in the rear, my not so old lady got used to it as well. On a LWB vehicle it´s not a big hassle and gives you more traction.

I´d truss both axles, even if it´s not necessary it gives some peace of mind.

Tires - 265/70R16 are a nice size to fit a 2" lift, /75 would be great for 3-3.5". Gearing: 4.10 is a good idea.

You like "OEM style"? Get a full set of factory skid plates, tow hooks and a tire carrier.

You like "OEM style" in the interior as well? You´ve already got a rear bench with three headrest, don´t you?

Here is my super stock 1990 XJ, I call it "resto-modded". Its been in my family since brand new, it belonged to my dad who was an avid Jeeper all of his life. He died in 2003 and after it being sold by my stepmother, I was able to find it and buy it back and rebuild it. I found it in the back of a vacant car lot with a blown headgasket, two melted pistons and a homeless man living in it.

The original 4.0 was bored/decked/milled, Ford 5.0 injectors, dual electric 96 XJ fans. All original AW4. Rebuilt NP231 w/PORC SYE and Tom Woods rear shaft. 2" budget boost, 2" RE spacers front/XJ bastard pack rear(using Quadratec HD XJ springs) 30x9.5 BFG AT's. 8.25 29 spline rear shaved w/4.10 gearing and Detroit TT, non-disconnect front D-30 w/4.10's and late model axle shafts/welded caps. Factory skids, RuffStuff covers front and rear. 96 XJ brake booster/MC. PPG paint using 1996 XJ Country paint and trim codes. Greg Smith door lock mod, Uniden CB, Pioneer system w/subs (I like my Bluegrass to have some bump) iPod hook-up, Viper remote start/alarm and more stuff i can't remember. I drive it or my Hemi Commander every day to work and I prefer to travel in the this XJ, its very comfortable and can cruise all day long at 75 and still get 20+ mileage.

I'm still working on it, some of the mods have been done since the picture was taken. I obviously do not wheel this one. I have 2 trail rigs for that stuff.
P1010509.jpg

P1010506.jpg

Back