• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

32's and 3.55's

anybody running these how much of a power loss compared to 31's right now I have 31's and I can still pull on the punks in there honda's off the line. So I don't see how another inch would make that big of a deal I can see 33's would be a dog. This would be a temporary thing , I just can't afford to regear yet.

my daughter runs 31's on 3.55 gears. I put 32's to do Pritchett Canyon and there really wasn't any difference particularly. Last time we did Pritchett I left the 31" ATs on as it was too much trouble changing to the 32" BFG MTs.
Is it ideal, NO. But it works.

I live in the fairly flat south so my 0.02 may not be worth much.. BUT im running 33's on 3.55's until I get the time to set up some 4.56's. I dont notice too much lost power but the crawl ratio isnt to good but still managable.

You guys might think this is dumb, but I actually swapped in axles from an auto jeep into my manual jeep (3.55 from 3.07). I run 32's. It only cost $200 and if you do the math, to get the same as stock ratio one would need 3.40s for 32's if you have a manual. I still get 16 mpg in town on a completely stock 98 4.0. One of the reasons I like this ratio is because a hx-35 turbo is going on early next year. Dont anyone tell me why I shouldnt boost this thing. This is only my second hobby. My real interest is turbododges (12.8 spirit R/T), I have the skills to do this, and I cant wait to see what this thing is like boosted. I can say from experience that mine drives fine right now. I just got my 32's a few days ago (from 31's). The accelleration is slightly less, but gas mileage is the same, and I still took a modded 5 cyl chevy colorado the other day :). The gas mileage staying the same though getting bigger tires might be related to going from cheap ass mud terrains to BFG AT's. Hope this helps
-Jerry

I already have the auto rearend in it. I think I might go for it, I know I will need to regear but I don't have the money now. I am not that hard core of a wheeler yet. My main use will be camping so I am not worried about the crawl factor yet. I did notice the loss of crawling with my last jeep that was a 5spd, I stalled at least every 15 minutes on the trail

BRADFORDXJ said:
you ever try running it in 3rd instead of overdrive ??? seems to work for me now
EXACTLY! Thank you! Everyone seems to look over this. I run 32x11.50 BFG MTs on 3.55s in 3rd only and, yes, there is a loss of immediate power, but not much. I cruise 65 on the interstate in 3rd at 2500 RPMs and get 20 MPG. Hills aren't a problem since I stay in that powerband all the time. Am I saying don't regear? No, I'll be doing mine eventually, but it really isn't necessary right now.

running 32 mtrs and 3.55 for the time being. i plan to but with a new baby it may be a while. i cant say i love this combo as long trips (anything over 5 miles) sucks IMHO.

im running 32x11.50x15 with 4.11 now and i find a perfect combo, i had 3.55 originally and they just werent cutting it. the 4.11's work great for on road and off road use, its a great balance

stewie said:
running 32 mtrs and 3.55 for the time being. i plan to but with a new baby it may be a while. i cant say i love this combo as long trips (anything over 5 miles) sucks IMHO.

See I am in the same boat except I have 3 kids and a wife that does not work. I am not sure when I will be able to regear so I am a little concerned but seeing as this jeep is the fastest car I have ever had, I don't think I will miss the power too much

well then, there's your way out! Put the wife to work and go for 4.56s!:laugh3: :laugh3:
Just joking! after being married to the same lady for 33 years, I know that won't work any better for you than it did for me!:roll:

Whats your mpg's?

xjchappyxj said:
im running 32x11.50x15 with 4.11 now and i find a perfect combo, i had 3.55 originally and they just werent cutting it. the 4.11's work great for on road and off road use, its a great balance

BRADFORDXJ said:
See I am in the same boat except I have 3 kids and a wife that does not work. I am not sure when I will be able to regear so I am a little concerned but seeing as this jeep is the fastest car I have ever had, I don't think I will miss the power too much
It's funny how that works out....I've got a 3 year old, 10 month old, wife not working, and just had to replace nearly the entire AC system....THAT was my gear/locker money...Gone...but AC is important, and as has been said, the 32's and 3.55's aren't awful, just not ideal. I'll be running this way, likely into late next year....maybe I'll have the AC paid off by then:eek:

I hear you, I was supposed to have like $3600 budget for my xj.... open the mail box open a few envelopes and so far it turned into $385 for the lift .... been sitting in the garage for 3 weeks now...... $600 for tires ordered yesterday.... wait a couple more weeks and $150 for shocks and maybe if I am lucky $200 for some rims. I love my kids but dang they really need to start pulling their own weight : P

I ran 31's and 3.55 for years, now I've got 32in. Mud Rovers with the stock gears. Not bad at all. We don't have that many hills around here, so I can cruise fine in 4th gear. Acceleration isn't bad, but it is slower, but mainly because of the many miles I have. Gas milage went down slightly, but I wouldn't be scared to run that combo.

Back