• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

30x9.5 and BB's

ny_busboy

NAXJA Forum User
I have 1.5 bb's and 30x9.5 MT/R on a stock wheel on a 2001 xj sport.

i would like to know what will be the effect if i replace my stock wheel (15x7 / steel / 5.25 backspace) with a 15x8 with 4.75 backspace?

should be fine, 15x8 seems a little wide for a 9.50 but i don't have much experience in the matter

btw sorry to get off topics but do you have pics of your rig? i'm thinking of doing the same thing to my dd. you can pm me if you don't feel like postin them here

A 9.5" wide tire on a 7" wide rim will work just fine. A 8" wide rim would make it much easier to pop the bead on a 9.5" wide tire.

I would just stick with the 15x7/5.25BS.

Holy CRAP! Yet another ny_busboy thread about backspacing...I would have thought you'd understand BS by now (pun intended).

What would the effect be from changing 7"/5.25"BS to an 8"/4.75"BS? The outer edge of the tire would be roughly 1.5" farther out, and the inner edge of the wheel would be 0.5" farther from the inner side of the wheelwell. Why do I say "roughly?" Because the wider rim will change the section width of that tire - might I recommend you introduce yourself to 'Search' to find out what that means?

Would I recommend 8" rims with 9.50" tires? No...but then again :shrug:

Yucca-Man said:
Holy CRAP! Yet another ny_busboy thread about backspacing...I would have thought you'd understand BS by now (pun intended).

What would the effect be from changing 7"/5.25"BS to an 8"/4.75"BS? The outer edge of the tire would be roughly 1.5" farther out, and the inner edge of the wheel would be 0.5" farther from the inner side of the wheelwell. Why do I say "roughly?" Because the wider rim will change the section width of that tire - might I recommend you introduce yourself to 'Search' to find out what that means?

Would I recommend 8" rims with 9.50" tires? No...but then again :shrug:

Yucca-man - thanks for answering but that is not the effect i am asking for. i know it will stick out farther and that is what i want my jeep to look like (with tires sticking a little farther). what i want to know is, will it rub? to those who have done this set-up (BB's with 30x9.5 and an after market wheel), i want to hear if the tires rubbed the fender. my apology if my question is not clear.

i just bought a 30x9.5 for my 2001 xj sport and placed it on my stock steel wheel. i will be installing 1.5 BB's soon. after installing the BB's, i would like to purchase an after market wheels (black steelies) but they are only available in 15x7 4.5 bs or 15x8 4.75 bs.

my rear is not sagging. TJ's stock wheels and tries are 15x8 with 30x9.5.

i did a SEARCH but did not find an answer from somebody who has BB's 30x9.5 and an "AFTER MARKET WHEEL".

and also, you are not obliged to view and reply threads that i started i you are pissed with my questions... it just so happens that i have not got any straight answer!

thanks for the other replies. i will stick with 7. would a 15x7 with 4.5 bs rub even if i have 1.5 bb's?

Rubbing fenders is like, well, it's like finger prints. It's unique to every cherokee unless you're talking 33" tires on a BB with no trimming at all or something obvious. Try it out, and if it does rub, take the sawzall to wherever it rubs. No major hacking is needed, just in areas of rubbage. This is what i have done. With that setup, you *MAY* need to trim the bumper end caps a little and the back side of the fender flair. I had to do this because before i leveled it out, the front rubbed while turning even a little bit. Let me tell you something, the sound of big lugs trying to rip off your bumper is not a pleasant sound.

cherokee xj said:
Rubbing fenders is like, well, it's like finger prints. It's unique to every cherokee unless you're talking 33" tires on a BB with no trimming at all or something obvious. Try it out, and if it does rub, take the sawzall to wherever it rubs. No major hacking is needed, just in areas of rubbage. This is what i have done. With that setup, you *MAY* need to trim the bumper end caps a little and the back side of the fender flair. I had to do this because before i leveled it out, the front rubbed while turning even a little bit. Let me tell you something, the sound of big lugs trying to rip off your bumper is not a pleasant sound.

right now, i do rub my 30's on a stock wheel and suspension on the rear end caps of the bumper. and yes you are right, the sound is not pleasant that is why i already ordered my bb's... did you have a 15x7 wih 4.5 backspace in your xj with bb's? what year is your xj?

thanks for the answer.

I have a 2" BB and the same tire/rim combo you are thinking of. It rubs occationally during off-roading, but its no big deal. Its only the tire rubbing on plastic for a second or two. Nothing gets damaged, you just have to get used to the noise. It does look great though. The tires come almost perfectly even with the fender flares.

Back