• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

$30 posi lock have you tried this

yes i know its 3 not 30 but it said like 25 for parts so i figures like 30 i was just wondering if anyone has tried this yet Thanks

search the forums, the plans are available for free.

it's just a bike cable, one spring, a cable fitting thinger (the piece that you use to adjust the cable on a bike), a handle type deal, and cracking open the vac. cannister so you can remove the rubber membrane.

my vacuum actuator worked just fine, so I got a early xj cherokee selec-trac vacuum switch, and plumbed new vacuum hose. now it's manual control run from engine vacuum.

jeepcomj said:
...my vacuum actuator worked just fine, so I got a early xj cherokee selec-trac vacuum switch, and plumbed new vacuum hose. now it's manual control run from engine vacuum.

You can also use an air cylinder switch for manual control. 2low on the fly is awesome, esp on slickrock. Granted it still uses the vulnerable vac motor.

you don't have 2low on the fly...you can't shift when in motion at speeds.

yes, you can GET 2 low...but you have to stop then shift and chances are you'd have to go into neutral too.

as for the vulnerable vac motor...my dad works at a company that builds semis, and they have air selectors roughly the same size with a shift fork on the PTO drives of the water trucks that he's building...and they've scrapped 3 junk PTO drives. so, he's been told he can have the air shifters and I will try to adapt them to the dana 30...plumb it up and use a semi air switch to control it. I've got OBA though which makes it not an issue...

jeepcomj said:
you don't have 2low on the fly...you can't shift when in motion at speeds...yes, you can GET 2 low...but you have to stop then shift and chances are you'd have to go into neutral too...

I should rephrase: It allows you to switch between 4low and 2low on the fly. In Moab I'd do 95% of the trails (moderate trails) in 2lo. When approaching an obstacle I'd flip the switch engaging the front axel. Mult. times I'd traverse an obstacle only to realize I'd done it in 2lo...

I can't do that now with my later model D30.

Jeep on

yeah. i noticed, though, that you need to be going fairly slow or you tend to grind a bit when actuating...there's no syncro so moving it from 2 to 4 on the fly means mating up two shafts which could wreck things....

jeepcomj said:
yeah. i noticed, though, that you need to be going fairly slow or you tend to grind a bit when actuating...there's no syncro so moving it from 2 to 4 on the fly means mating up two shafts which could wreck things....

its really no different than when 4hi is engaged when driving on the flat. The t-case and therefor front DS are engaged with the lever pull, this actuates the vac switch at the case then the axel shift fork is engaged. And its common knowledge that this can be done at moderate speeds.

As long as all four wheels are turning at the same speed the speed is irrelevant... from my experience.

ymmv

:cheers: We put a 91 disco with a Posi-Loc in my sons 95 5spd rig, It's like locking hubs only better. [$200 for the kit,traded a chev 305 engine for the D30] & now he can run a locker in the front without the $800 to$1100 for hubs. All YJs came with one & most still run them, and you can shift on the fly ,at trail speeds. If you can build a cable accuator for $30 go for it, just don't give that nimrod any money for somone elses idea.

cherokee chuck said:
We put a 91 disco with a Posi-Loc in my sons 95 5spd rig, It's like locking hubs only better... now he can run a locker in the front without... hubs. All YJs came with one & most still run them, and you can shift on the fly ,at trail speeds...

I imagine a benefit of a cable actuated system is the feedback you get through the cable. ie you feel it slide easily... or not. Is that the case?
I've been a little tempted to do something similar, but am wary due to the lack of aftermarket shafts for disco housings. That is, without deleting the disco.

I put an early XJ D30 in mine for the 4.10 gears it had. Running a posi lok now, can't wait to go back to one piece shafts.

One of the downsides is that you can only really get the disco shafts in the weak 260x u joints.

IslanderOffRoad said:
I put an early XJ D30 in mine for the 4.10 gears it had. Running a posi lok now, can't wait to go back to one piece shafts.

One of the downsides is that you can only really get the disco shafts in the weak 260x u joints.

not true. 94 and 95 YJ's could come equipped with 297 joints and disconnect.

I've got a set of those shafts at home, waiting for new joints.

law 7.4...I HAVE this done on my comanche, and NO you cannot shift at "moderate speeds" without grinding. my wheels spin at the same speed, and the only time i can shift is below 10mph.

this is because my assembly is running off of engine vacuum. the engine produces more vacuum than the t-case, and so it wants to force the actuator over...whereas the t-case actually slowly pushes the actuator.

jeepcomj said:
not true. 94 and 95 YJ's could come equipped with 297 joints and disconnect.

I've got a set of those shafts at home, waiting for new joints.

Hence why I said REALLY

We're talking 2 years of shafts with one specific option.

Not many of those shafts out there compared to 260x ones. And if you've priced them new, its not worth it.

true enough. i found two more sets of them today, for $50 a set so i guess i should go pick them up then if they're so rare.

Back