• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3-speed transfer cases??

Safari Ary

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I know these exist, but what I'm wondering is if any of them are worth swapping ratio wise and if any of them are even considered feasible with a driver's drop front axle and a centered rear diff. So let me have it guys, what's out there?? The reason I'm asking is because I wheel a lot on the east coast where wheel speed can be much more important than crawl ratio, but with "2 weeks paid vacation" becoming more of a reality and less wishful thinking, I think I will be heading west over the summer. I want to get rid of the 231, so I'm looking for different alternatives besides an Atlas or D300. Thanks

Ary

Keep the 231 and add a Klune? That would get you quite a few speeds and mixture of ratios that would be good on just about everything.

If you want to gain the control of the front axle you can toss a flipped D300 in and twin stick it. With the D300 behind the Klune you'll have a very nice solid setup.

-Scott

sintax said:
Keep the 231 and add a Klune? That would get you quite a few speeds and mixture of ratios that would be good on just about everything.

If you want to gain the control of the front axle you can toss a flipped D300 in and twin stick it. With the D300 behind the Klune you'll have a very nice solid setup.

-Scott

Have you ever priced out a klune my guess is he is trying to save money by not doing a atlas not trying to spend more.

azxjman said:
Have you ever priced out a klune my guess is he is trying to save money by not doing a atlas not trying to spend more.

Honestly, I can afford an atlas(amazing what you can afford when you have a real job and not a starving college kid), but it doesn't give me EVERYTHING(I'm a pick SOB ain't I? :D) I desire in that I think Lo, would be tooo Lo. I do want to have control of the front axle, if only 'cause it's something I'll grow into and I'm tired of building things over and over again. The thought of a 3:1 Atlas + a crawler box of some sort(203?) could be a good combo, but I don't know how much longer that would be and how short my rear DS would have to be. Also don't know what it would end up costing or how strong it would be. I thought I remembered hearing something about a Toyota land cruiser t-case being 3-speed but I'm pretty sure those are passenger diff and the rear diff is offset which negates even thinking about flipping the thing.

I'm just thinking out loud as usual. Thanks

Ary

Try this one.
http://www.high-impact.net/transmission_and_gear/Klune-V_Bronco_D20_combo.htm

It has 4 speeds, but I doubt the average XJ axle will survive the 10:1 low range. Maybe for someone with 1 ton axles it would be allright.

I e-mailed the company for a price quote early in 2003:

Overall system length appx 18", shorter than stock NP231.
Klune-V Extreme Underdrive $1,725.00
1 Klune->Bronco D20 Adapter $334.43 $334.43
1 Bronco D20 Tcase, full HD rebuild $737.00 $737.00
Optional: The system as supplied above can be set up to shift the Dana 20 2Hi-4Hi-N-4Lo simply by running a link rod from the stock Wrangler tcase shift lever. The system can also be supplied with a Tcase ready to for twin stick operation, The Atlas twin stick shifter lends itself to this operation. The twin stick levers will come out where the stock Wrangler Tcase shifter was. The twin stick system will allow front wheel drive, rear wheel drive or 4WD in any gear range. It is not a completely bolt in set up: You will need to fabricate a bracket to bolt the Atlas twin stick assembly to, off the body or off the tranny tailhousing. You then can use all thread to make up a pair of shift rails to shift the Bronco Dana 20. Some modification to the shift rails is necessary to do this, Instructions supplied.
Atlas Twin Stick $123.50
Optional: The stock Bronco 10 spline output shaft will hold up for reasonable use with up to a stock small block or 35" Tires. Extreme abuse or larger engine/tires should consider upgrading the output shaft to 32 spl. Note: This conversion will also accept stock jeep speedo gear/sender.
32 Spline output upgrade $360.00
Optional: Parts to adapt Jeep speedometer to Bronco 20 Tcase. Jeeps with mechanical speedometer (up to 91) will only need the adapter cable. Jeeps with an electronic speedo sender (wires coming out instead of a speedo cable) will need the new Vehicle Speed Sender (VSS)
10" Speedo Adapter cable $43.75
Vehicle Speed Sensor $115.00
Optional:
Rear CV slip joint driveshaft $275.00

I too was looking for options for a new t-case without being too low of gearing. I thought this was a good alternative, a bit on the pricey side though.

Bryan

JeepFreak21 said:

Don't fret, I'll be back to being a starving college student within a year, and you'll probably graduate before I do. ;)

Bryan, good info, I will research that combo some more. Thanks

Ary

want more wheel speed? Give it more gas :twak:

You're overthinking this bro!

Back