• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2nd Quarter M&G, May 17th

It must be my imagination, those little cars look nervous. "Back to the wall, stare-em down, and DON'T BLINK!" :D

temporary_zps573aa5f6.jpg

Some ramp shots.......

IMG_20140517_142835066_HDR_zpsudc2dpki.jpg

O-Gauge Dave....

IMG_20140517_142624505_HDR_zpsh5xdortm.jpg

Zith Brian...... Best flexing rig of the group.

IMG_20140517_142107052_HDR_zpsh6q1rn6b.jpg

It was partly a financial decision to move away from the TrXus. They're still pushing $300/tire, which doesn't make sense since side by side they can't keep up with KM2s. I last bought them at $150/tire! They're currently much more than the KM2 and the MTRs, which were about $250 at the time and a bit less right now. The Bighorn was about $200, and came with a strong recommendation from Derek (jmaxj) in terms of performance on Moab sandstone. Coupled with my dislike for the asymmetric tread on the MTR and concerns on KM2 sidewalls, I decided to try the Bighorns.

To be fair, aside from a kinda snowy china wall run I haven't had them out on the trail. I can say that I'm loving having tires that actually balance, even with the beadlocks! It's been a long time since it drove so well on the road.

I will say, the Bighorns suck in the snow both on and off trail, at least compared to the TrXus, but if they perform well in Moab, and reasonably well everywhere else without snow, I'll be happy.

And the beadlock/bighorn combo will look killer at the mall.

O guage, did I use your highlift at rainbow falls about a month ago with my wj?
I messed out. Stupid important interview tomorrow

It was partly a financial decision to move away from the TrXus. They're still pushing $300/tire, which doesn't make sense since side by side they can't keep up with KM2s. I last bought them at $150/tire! They're currently much more than the KM2 and the MTRs, which were about $250 at the time and a bit less right now. The Bighorn was about $200, and came with a strong recommendation from Derek (jmaxj) in terms of performance on Moab sandstone. Coupled with my dislike for the asymmetric tread on the MTR and concerns on KM2 sidewalls, I decided to try the Bighorns.

To be fair, aside from a kinda snowy china wall run I haven't had them out on the trail. I can say that I'm loving having tires that actually balance, even with the beadlocks! It's been a long time since it drove so well on the road.

I will say, the Bighorns suck in the snow both on and off trail, at least compared to the TrXus, but if they perform well in Moab, and reasonably well everywhere else without snow, I'll be happy.

And the beadlock/bighorn combo will look killer at the mall.
I don't see you hitting the mall much either :roflmao:
As you know I thought thise truxxs tires were legit. Noisy and great carcass. The bighorns surprised me. My buddy ran them and he liked them a lot. They took a good beating as well. His snow driving is very, spirited, so the bad snow performance makes sense. Have to let me know what you think of em in moab.

O guage, did I use your highlift at rainbow falls about a month ago with my wj?
I messed out. Stupid important interview tomorrow

Sorry, no. I have not been in the dirt for over 6 years now. With everything that is happening, most likely I will never be in the dirt again. Until it is time for the dirt nap of course. That one, I will make...

I don't see you hitting the mall much either :roflmao:
As you know I thought thise truxxs tires were legit. Noisy and great carcass. The bighorns surprised me. My buddy ran them and he liked them a lot. They took a good beating as well. His snow driving is very, spirited, so the bad snow performance makes sense. Have to let me know what you think of em in moab.

I consider the TrXus legit, and roughly equivalent to KM2s or Kevlars. Anyone who considers them just an AT tire is fooling themselves. Noisy on road and hard to balance, but otherwise excellent performance. Off road traction (in Moab) seemed to be slightly worse than the KM2s, but still quite good and they'd withstand much more abuse. My old tires have some slices that I think would have taken out a KM2 sidewall. I still highly recommend them, especially if you can get a good deal on them. As with any of these tires there are trade-offs.

I suspect the BigHorns are a step down in terms of durability, but I'm hopeful that otherwise they'll be a little better than the TrXus. I'll let you know what I think of the Bighorns in Moab, but I don't foresee making it out there until Fall Fling in October.

Back