• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

23 spline to 27 spline coupler? Instead of an SYE

JeepCherokeeGuy99

NAXJA Forum User
What keeps us from using a coupler on the output shafts of our tcases that converts the spline count to 27. Thus allowing us to choose from a 3" to 8" barrel length slip yoke just like the following transmissions use:

• Brinn
  • GM T-350
  • GM TH-350
  • GM T-56
  • Saginaw 3 Speed
  • Saginaw 4 Speed
  • Muncie 4 Speed
  • 700R
  • 700R4
  • 4L60
  • 4L60E
  • 200 Metric
  • Bert
  • Powerglide
  • Falcon
  • Borg Warner T-4
  • Borg Warner T-5

It seems that if we can extend the slip yoke as well as making it stronger, That should eliminate the use of an SYE because it will give us the length we need and the angle necessary to eliminate drive line vibes. no?
Let me know what you guys think.

The output spline count on the transfer case already is 27... the output of the transmission is the 23 spline one. Increasing the length of the slip spline section will indeed strengthen it but will increase the angle of the driveshaft U-joints which will make vibration issues more likely.

that is, unless I'm completely mis-thinking this. Someone correct me if so.

So many things you're not thinking of.

If you extend the mainshaft, you introduce more leverage on the rear output bearing.

If you extend the length of the slip yoke, you better make sure it's not long enough to bottom out against the t-case.

What do you mean by coupler shaft? Don't really understand you there. Most coupler shafts I've heard of "couple" two things together?

Give some more details.

So many things you're not thinking of.

If you extend the mainshaft, you introduce more leverage on the rear output bearing.

If you extend the length of the slip yoke, you better make sure it's not long enough to bottom out against the t-case.

What do you mean by coupler shaft? Don't really understand you there. Most coupler shafts I've heard of "couple" two things together?

Give some more details.
coupler2.jpg

coupler.jpg

I figured there was things that would need to be taken into account if doing something like this. I was just trying to see if we could work with it and find a very cheap alternative to an SYE

I think you'd have to make one with a socket for 23 splines, with 27 splines on the outside of the other end... but I think this is probably solving a nonexistent problem, or rather solving it in completely the wrong way. Sorry :(

I think you'd have to make one with a socket for 23 splines, with 27 splines on the outside of the other end... but I think this is probably solving a nonexistent problem, or rather solving it in completely the wrong way. Sorry :(

gotcha. Ya I wasn't sure if it was even feasible. I just wish chrysler produced our XJ's with factory SYE's! ha.

Honestly, I don't think the "Powers that be" at Jeep even considered 5 percent of what we do to the XJs as ever happening. Maybe the old school, hard corp Jeeps guys, but certainly not the suits.

Yea...I don't see how your "coupler" solves the issue of taking off the rear DS without loosing all the TC fluid. This is one advantage of the SYE...fixed output means you can remove the rear DS without loosing the TC fluid. the other advantage (which your coupler doesn't solve) is that the SYE lengthens the drive shaft...lessening driveline angles...a good thing.

Let me know if I'm off base.

Yea...I don't see how your "coupler" solves the issue of taking off the rear DS without loosing all the TC fluid. This is one advantage of the SYE...fixed output means you can remove the rear DS without loosing the TC fluid. the other advantage (which your coupler doesn't solve) is that the SYE lengthens the drive shaft...lessening driveline angles...a good thing.

Ya I must have been drunk when I started this thread. Ha

This only affects 95 and earlier but is indeed a good point.

Back