• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 Electrical Problems, ASD / Elec Fan Pulse

smoman said:
Anyone think it may be an igniton switch?

Smo
Might be something to look at. The force, and poweder of the discharging airbag may have messed it up. Have you tried to run a wire from the PCM to the relay. Eliminating the possable bad wire. A few other things I would look at is the block to body ground. Just replace it they sometimes get enough internal restence to cause problems, and it's hard to tell by just checking continunity with a meter.
A bad TPS can cause it not to start, but I would think your grounding the ASD relay would have done nothing if it was bad.
I read though the passave restraint systems in my FSM, and couldn't find anything idicating a nostart condition from a deployed airbag. Keep in mind though your're going to have to replace the clock spring in the steering column even if you planning on just making it a trail rig, and not replacing the airbags.

Not really familiar with the jeep theft deterent system, but I have a hunch that's what you are fighting.
Maybe you are trying to start the car with the wrong key, and you need the factory "immobilizer" style key that is correctly programmed to the vehicle. I don't yet own a FSM for my 99 cherokee, but will be getting one soon.
Check and see if you have that option, are using the right key, and that it's programmed properly.
Factory theft deterrent systems disable the fuel injection system typically. The pcm just wont open the injectors. GM theft deterrent systems will start/stall. sounds like yours is doing something very similar. you say that there are no codes, but I bet you're using a generic OBDII type scanner. What you might need is the factory DRB-II scanner that can get into the body diagnostic controller and pull theft system codes.

There, a tree for you to bark up.

ScoobyXJ, look in your manual under theft deterrent system, and look at the diagnostic aids/info. See how the system works, what does it do to the vehicle, how to see if it is immobilizing the vehicle, and the factory procedure for programming a key. Maybe you wont need a factory scan tool, just need to leave the key in the on position for 10 minutes after a failed start attempt.
(GM sequence)

Last edited:
We helped a fella out a while back that was having problems with the SKIS. If the Jeep has the system the module will be located in the seering column right at the lock cylinder. If you have a gray key then you definitly have the option, and also the Theft light will come on on the dash during the bulb check. There is no way to repair the system you have to replace it. On that note it has to be done, or taken to a dealer to program the system with a DBRIII skan tool, and software. You also can't just unplug it, 'cause the PCM is programed to only operate with the module. Basicly there is a PCM for the SKIS, and a PCM for those not equipped with it.

EDIT: There are several splices in the wiring harness on that side. I would pull open the harness, and check them. Most are located up in the corner of the fender, and firewall. I don't think there is anything in that area on the CCD buss, but there could be a short somewhere in one of the wires. I would look very carefully at the wiring in the airbag vacinity as there is CCD buss wiring there. Also the Passave restraint system comunicates to the PCM, and dash by the CCD buss. If your wondering the impact sensor is located in the air bag control module under the center console.

Last edited:
Great Ideas guys, I am going to check all that tuesday night.

I did run a wire from the PCM to the ASD and still no good.

I replaced the grounds to the block and added 2 more.

Why do you have to replace the clock spring if everything works, inc the horn. Isnt the clock spring only the means to get wire connections between your column and the streering wheel?

I have black keys and I also called the Jeep garage run my VIN and he said not chip key stuff. Good idea...

Thanks guys...I appreciate all your help !!!!

Steve

smoman said:
Great Ideas guys, I am going to check all that tuesday night.

I did run a wire from the PCM to the ASD and still no good.

I replaced the grounds to the block and added 2 more.

Why do you have to replace the clock spring if everything works, inc the horn. Isnt the clock spring only the means to get wire connections between your column and the streering wheel?

I have black keys and I also called the Jeep garage run my VIN and he said not chip key stuff. Good idea...

Thanks guys...I appreciate all your help !!!!

Steve
Acording to the FSM it will more than likely be damaged even if you can't see any damage.

In the articel I found on another jeep post...the guy emailed me back and said it was the high pressure swtich that did the same things as mine is.

does this make sense at all?

Steve

the only fix I coudl do was to ground the ASD relay out so it is faked out that the PCM is sending the proper "GO" ground.

Anyone have any updates

yes. in my case it was my PCM. Hope it is not in your case. Are your relays good?

Checked the relays, swapped them all out...even got another computer exaclt same model...and tried it. I re grounded everything and still persists.

the asd relay pulses, the fan clutch, and elec fan....it is driving me nuts. I grounded the asd relay to bypass it all, but it still needs fixed and I cant take it...haahahahahaha

thanks all

where is the DRK BLU/Yellow wire you spliced into and grounded, is it in the harness to the main PCM (pcm means Power Control Module??or ECU correct?). you said you had a diagram and that would be great as i think i am in same boat as you. my 2000 was recently rearended and it pretty much has the same problems you have minus showing "no buss" ( tho i haven't left the keys in it for that long if it wouldn't start. i will have to check out the ASD tomorrow and see if i can figure it out. My dealership had the car for the past two weeks , threw a CPS and IAC at it and claim it works fine though i'm sure they don't wait for the car to warm up, then try to restart it (even tho i told them to). It will sorta start (weakly) from a cold start but if you try to restart it when its warm its cranking but not firing.When it does restart from a warm start i have to feather the gas pedal to keep the motor running for a while until it will idle right again. but as with yours, when the motor is running, its completely normal.

Last edited:
i just got in from the cold ( a little snow coming across with the wind). i grounded that terminal on the ASD relay and it stopped the asd from freaking out and the car started like normal. I AM SO HAPPY... altho i would love to know whats causing the problem. i will try and check connections tomorrow. i don't have my fsm yet, only a Haynes manual and it is useless on this subject. Is there any adverse effect from the relay being jumpered long term? I know its "macguyvered" by leaving it that way so thats not an option.

For anyone who finds this thread in search of the final answer.... Both Smoman's 2000 XJ and mine both had blown #22 fuses in the pdc (the fuel pump relay fuse). Replacing the fuse fixed the ASD pulsing and Alternator issues.(at idle the alt put out 15.8 volts in mine and the gauge in the cluster would drop down to 0 volts intermittently... new fuse and is normal)

Back