• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

200,000 0n April 25, 2005

XJ Dreamin'

NAXJA Forum User
Before:

After:

OK, I should have done a bit of dusting before I snapped the pictures, but who cares about a little dash-dust?!

My $45 two-year new membership is in the pipeline. Look for XJ Dreamin' to go red-name soon.

As it turns out, the pending year of upgrades and mods (http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=45201) have been superceded by a leaking L/R wheel cylinder. Perhaps I should just start the year with a disc conversion? We'll see. Priority is to get the brakes working ASAP.

A buddy informed me just the other day that he has aquired a 110amp plug-in stick welder. I'm going to pull the passenger seat today and see how much stick and plate it takes to fix those bastards. I'll drive around without a passenger seat while I use it to figure out the best fix for the drivers seat. Also, there is some rust-through near the toekick of the passenger floor pan.

My buddy works TDCJ, 4-on/4-off, so it'll be easy to schedule work days. OTOH, he and his wife just adopted three kids at once, so his time isn't going to be as free as he's been used to. :rattle: x3! Crazy!

Question: What alloy stick would you use for those tube seat frames and the seat pan? I haven't seen the welder yet but he's sayin' it's 110 amp. I grew up using my Dad's old Lincoln. I suppose it'll take a bit of practice to work with limited juice. Anyway, I'll take lots of pictures.

Here's looking forward to not having to type my signature every frikkin' time I want to talk to you guys.

XJ Dreamin'
stock 2WD '93 XJ, 4.0L HO, AW4, ChryCo 8.25 (which I only just realized yesterday (I've been thinking it was a d35 :wierd: )), LT 235/75R15 A/T's

Nice job! I'd say you're a candidate for a gauge cluster swap, but I haven't seen any in the yard that have that many miles. Plus, I'm sure that odometer has sentimantal value for you now. :)

Steve

For the seat frames, you'll want something easy to start an arc with on short, irregular pieces, some of which may be hard to prepare well. I'd vote for good old 7014. You'll want the amperage pretty low, and pretty small rod, because at least some of the cracking will be in sheet metal that isn't much thicker than body panels. If you weld up all the cracks and faults well, you shouldn't need a lot of extra plating. Once it's opened up you'll probably be able to guess where a couple of braces would help.

SteveT said:
Nice job! I'd say you're a candidate for a gauge cluster swap, but I haven't seen any in the yard that have that many miles. Plus,

Thanks. Yes, the cluster leaves alot to the imagination. Mostly, as I drive happily along, I imagine that the bulbs behind the oil pressure and engine temp tags burned out 50 miles ago and the engine will start knocking any minute now. It makes the commute to work everyday sooo relaxing.

I hadn't though of it, but cluster swap is a good addition to the upgrade list. A tach isn't that interesting with an automatic, but gauges would really help.

SteveT said:
I'm sure that odometer has sentimantal value for you now. :)
Steve

Not really. I doesn't say 200000.0 any more. It's more like 200048.3 now. It keeps changing all the time.

Thanks for the swap reminder, though.
XJ Dreamin'

Matthew Currie said:
For the seat frames, you'll want something easy to start an arc with on short, irregular pieces, some of which may be hard to prepare well. I'd vote for good old 7014. You'll want the amperage pretty low, and pretty small rod, because at least some of the cracking will be in sheet metal that isn't much thicker than body panels. If you weld up all the cracks and faults well, you shouldn't need a lot of extra plating. Once it's opened up you'll probably be able to guess where a couple of braces would help.

Thanks, Matthew. I didn't think the seat metal would be anything unusual. The old Ram Charger had the same seat construction, and the same failure. After a couple of broken welds we welded in an 1/8" flat stock gusset from the base of the seat back to the edge of the seat pan. It never failed again, although you had to be careful getting in. Settin' your butt crack down on that gusset would make you think twice. I'm hoping for something a bit more elegant for the XJ seats.

XJ Dreamin'

my wife told me to tell you to to be sure and oscillate the arc while welding those thin brackets....

XJ Dreamin' said:
Before:

After:

OK, I should have done a bit of dusting before I snapped the pictures, but who cares about a little dash-dust?!

My $45 two-year new membership is in the pipeline. Look for XJ Dreamin' to go red-name soon.

As it turns out, the pending year of upgrades and mods (http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=45201) have been superceded by a leaking L/R wheel cylinder. Perhaps I should just start the year with a disc conversion? We'll see. Priority is to get the brakes working ASAP.

A buddy informed me just the other day that he has aquired a 110amp plug-in stick welder. I'm going to pull the passenger seat today and see how much stick and plate it takes to fix those bastards. I'll drive around without a passenger seat while I use it to figure out the best fix for the drivers seat. Also, there is some rust-through near the toekick of the passenger floor pan.

My buddy works TDCJ, 4-on/4-off, so it'll be easy to schedule work days. OTOH, he and his wife just adopted three kids at once, so his time isn't going to be as free as he's been used to. :rattle: x3! Crazy!

Question: What alloy stick would you use for those tube seat frames and the seat pan? I haven't seen the welder yet but he's sayin' it's 110 amp. I grew up using my Dad's old Lincoln. I suppose it'll take a bit of practice to work with limited juice. Anyway, I'll take lots of pictures.

Here's looking forward to not having to type my signature every frikkin' time I want to talk to you guys.

XJ Dreamin'
stock 2WD '93 XJ, 4.0L HO, AW4, ChryCo 8.25 (which I only just realized yesterday (I've been thinking it was a d35 :wierd: )), LT 235/75R15 A/T's

everyone needs a jeep like yours... the more miles you put on it the more gas you got in the tank....lol (i know it's probably how the jeep is sitting but thaught it was funny) and congrats on the mileage and good luck with the upgrades

pbandj said:
my wife told me to tell you to to be sure and oscillate the arc while welding those thin brackets....

I'm going to need some practice. It's been a few years since I've done any welding, at all. But then, it'll be under the seat so, as long as it's strong I'm not going to be much concerned about apperances. It'll be fun. I'll take some pictures.

Thanks,
XJ Dreamin'

jeepinandy said:
everyone needs a jeep like yours... the more miles you put on it the more gas you got in the tank....lol (i know it's probably how the jeep is sitting but thaught it was funny) and congrats on the mileage and good luck with the upgrades

WOW! That took me a Good While to figure out what you were talking about - Now I see it! The 199999.9 was taken on the fly (25mph - and you thought talking on the cell phone while driving was dangerous!). The gas gauge can vary by 3 or 4 marks depending on whether your accelerating, coasting, breaking, or just sitting. The 200000.0 shot was taken parked along the side of the road.

I was on my way home from work. The wife was also on the way home from her work. She pulled up behind me and walked up to my window. I'm sitting there pointing a camera at the dashboard and she's like, "What the hell are doing?" I'm taking a picture." "I thought you'd broken down!" "It hit 200,000. Look! 200,000 point 0!" "Your crazy."

What can I say. I'm easy to please.

XJ Dreamin'

XJ Dreamin' said:
WOW! That took me a Good While to figure out what you were talking about - Now I see it! The 199999.9 was taken on the fly (25mph - and you thought talking on the cell phone while driving was dangerous!). The gas gauge can vary by 3 or 4 marks depending on whether your accelerating, coasting, breaking, or just sitting. The 200000.0 shot was taken parked along the side of the road.

I was on my way home from work. The wife was also on the way home from her work. She pulled up behind me and walked up to my window. I'm sitting there pointing a camera at the dashboard and she's like, "What the hell are doing?" I'm taking a picture." "I thought you'd broken down!" "It hit 200,000. Look! 200,000 point 0!" "Your crazy."

What can I say. I'm easy to please.

XJ Dreamin'

lmao.. it's a guy thing women dont understand.....

My 87 Waggy cracked 500,000km on a long distance tripin early April and I missed it by half a km. I was so mad for days, still am a little upset, but the wife still doesn't get it either.

Here's a shot of mine from last June...

PICT0009.jpg

I did the same thing, pulled over and took the pic. The wife knew it was coming so she wasn't too shocked at the sudden stop!

No doubt XJ is one of the highest mileage vehicles with least BS I've ever owned in 30+ years of driving. Huge amounts of info/parts thanks to forums like this too! I sometimes feel concern that by the time I finally need to buy a new Jeep, will the company still be around and/or will they be as good? 'Hard to say but if they make 'em too good, when do you replace the old one? 'Good problem to have but the oil companies certainly make a good profit regardless. For my 265k+ miles I estimate total fuel cost exceeds the original MSRP. Ouch...

Its good to see other xjs with such high milage. I've got 328000 miles on my 89, and it's still runing strong. seeing others with 400k+ makes me not worry so much about how long mine will last.

223,000 + and going strong in Indy

WOW! I feel like I've joined a club (I hope I'm not being presumptuous). I've decided to use the paper entry form by snail-mail so it'll be a couple of weeks before my name changes color.

Lets see - 400,000.1 kilometers. That's 2.45cm/in at 63,120in/mi and, what, 100,000cm/km...?? Well, I'm in America but that sounds like a long ways :laugh3: Actually, I think thats about 248,548.5 miles.

At the rate I'm driving I'll hit 300,000 miles in just over 4 years.

XJ Dreamin'

[font=&quot]I was lucky to get a picture of mine. We were on our way to Pleasant Lake, and I knew I was going to pass it on the way up, so I left my camera in the front of the truck so I could snap a shot when it came. I didn’t want to pull over, so I just took it while I was going 65 mph on the highway.:wierd:

99636018_l.jpg

[/font]

Back