• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1st hand experience with front driveshaft used in rear with SYE?

Anyone know the minimum amount of lift you need? I was thinking of going this way, but right now my rear only sits 3" above stock. Eventually I'll make it bigger though.

Thanks.

I bet you could do it with no lift.

Take a look at these pics....

http://community.webshots.com/photo/69003822/69004819TMzPsI

CV shafts are from an auto XJ so they are the longer versions...the front shafts from a manual XJ will be about 2" shorter.

The rear shaft is from a manual XJ so it's the loner version.

Since the SYE shortens the t-case output and those shafts in the pic are about the same length as the rear shaft with their slip about halfway out you could probably fit them on a stock XJ with no lift.

Somebody mentioned that a front WJ shaft will wokr for about 6 inches of lift, so that would be about the right size for putting it into the back of an AX-15 with a SYE @ 4.5 inches of lift? I also have an 8.8, so I not sure how much longer/shorter the pinion is, just trying to get ideas.

St3mpy said:
Somebody mentioned that a front WJ shaft will wokr for about 6 inches of lift, so that would be about the right size for putting it into the back of an AX-15 with a SYE @ 4.5 inches of lift? I also have an 8.8, so I not sure how much longer/shorter the pinion is, just trying to get ideas.

An XJ front shaft should work for you. Do you have the hack and tap?

I just installed an 8.8 into a buddy's XJ at 5" of lift and a RE H+T and the front shaft fits perfectly.

Edit: i'm an idiot. I didn't see you had the AX-15. If thats the case than the WJ shaft should work if it's ~2" longer than the 4.0/aw4 combo.

i have 4" and am using a zj front shaft. my shocks are a bit short in the rear so i'm not overextending it. once i get longer shocks that let me rear droop more it might be a problem. gonna find out the strength of it this weekend in hot springs hopefully

Roodki said:
Anyone know the minimum amount of lift you need? I was thinking of going this way, but right now my rear only sits 3" above stock. Eventually I'll make it bigger though.

Thanks.

I'm running it at 3".

Ressurecting an old thread but I'm gathering the parts to give this a try. I read that the front shaft will be too short with an SYE and a AX-15 but is that a H&T or a "full" SYE?

I've got:

95 XJ
AX-15
D44

and I'm gong to H&T with a Currie t-case flange and RE seal.

I've read that the longest front driveshaft comes from the 4.0/AW4/231 combo. Is this true? Will this be too short?

Any first hand knowledge? Theories? Opinions? etc?

TIA

Yes it will be a little too short.

However you can leave your t-case output slightly longer but not cutting as much off when you install the hack and tap SYE.

From a longevity standpoint this is not ideal as it puts more stress on the t-case output bearing the longer the output shaft is. However it will still last a long time so it's up to you.

Bender said:
Yes it will be a little too short.

However you can leave your t-case output slightly longer but not cutting as much off when you install the hack and tap SYE.

From a longevity standpoint this is not ideal as it puts more stress on the t-case output bearing the longer the output shaft is. However it will still last a long time so it's up to you.

Have you run this combo? I was hoping the D44 would help me out some. How short is too short?

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm running that right now..

AX-15 Tranny, NP231 t-case, Dana 44 rear and I've run this setup from 5" of lift to my current 6.5" of lift.

I left the t-case output about 1" or so longer than I was supposed to and the slip of the shaft is extended about 75% at static ride height. Fully flexed out, compressed, or fully drooped my shaft never comes apart or extends excessively.

After about 3 years of hard wheeling and 50k miles my t-case output bearing is getting a little sloppy but the t-case is also 7 years old

HOWEVER!! I am using a newer style sealed t-case and the output is longer than the older pre 1996 style so you may have to tailor the output length for your setup depending on the t-case you use.

Bender said:
Yeah, I'm running that right now..

AX-15 Tranny, NP231 t-case, Dana 44 rear and I've run this setup from 5" of lift to my current 6.5" of lift.

I left the t-case output about 1" or so longer than I was supposed to and the slip of the shaft is extended about 75% at static ride height. Fully flexed out, compressed, or fully drooped my shaft never comes apart or extends excessively.

After about 3 years of hard wheeling and 50k miles my t-case output bearing is getting a little sloppy but the t-case is also 7 years old

HOWEVER!! I am using a newer style sealed t-case and the output is longer than the older pre 1996 style so you may have to tailor the output length for your setup depending on the t-case you use.

That's not the answer I wanted d*mn it! :)

Maybe I just need to do a Tap without the Hack, hehe.

Or use really long bolts on the flange to yoke adaper and space it out with washers!!! Just kidding.

Thanks for the info.

ipkyss said:
I have an ax-15. With 10" lift and 37s and a 4:1. I use a stock front shaft that i lenthend with a piece of tube that was a little thicker. I have thrashed it pretty good now. and no breaks yet. And FYI At 8" lift with a ax-15 and a 8.25 rear axle. The front driveshaft out of a 95 grand cherokee is perfect lenth.

I know this is kind of an old thread, but are you saying an unmoddified front driveshaft out of 95 ZJ is the correct length for a AX15 combo? Do you know what engine/tranny combo?

willyb said:
I did this with my '97 XJ [4.0/AW4/242] with the RE H&T... Worked out perfectly for my 5.5in lift... I have had no complaints, and the price was right... Had it on for close to 5 months now with no problems. Been on plenty of trails to test it out, and it is my daily driver...

Will.

This is my exact combo. Good to hear its working for you. Time to get mine ordered.

I have the same issue Ramsey does. My rear shocks only allow 2" of droop. So I'm looking at th Bilstein 5100s for the rear. Soon, I plan to go to a coil rear end and get some crazy flexible springs for that project. Hopefully I won't be shooting myself in the foot financially though! ;)

Back