• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1996 XJ Fuel Pressure/Pump Issue?

Quadratec is a dead end as well. I was issued another refund due to their inability to get the sending unit. It appears that it is, in fact, completely out of stock everywhere. Time to just get a pump and attempt to repair the existing one. Good luck.

Here's an idea. The WJ used an external filter with a built-in FPR and return. It might be possible to use a 95 XJ pump/sender assembly to the WJ filter, then plumb the return.

GF836_Primary.jpg

I read somewhere that the built-in FPR was 50 PSI but I haven't been able to confirm. Might be worth looking into.

Last edited:
That's an interesting idea.

Sad that qtec and others can't get it... I'll have to bug my Crown contact and find out what's up.

edit: alright, bugged him and it turns out they were on backorder, but were delivered in the last few days.

Last edited:
Anak said the Crown regulator he got was rated for 39 psi, but produced 49 at the fuel rail. I might just get a 95 and down regulator locally and not connect the vacuum (because it isn't there) and see if I can reproduce his results. I have a day off coming up and spent all week trying to order full assemblies from various companies with no luck, so I might just roll the dice with a Bosch pump from the local box store and whatever 95 down regulator they have that is a good brand and see what pressure I can get. My XJ is not driven much, just around town occasionally to keep it from sitting too much and for trails, so a non-Crown regulator will be fine by me for my application. Thanks everyone.

If you go that route please post your results. I would like to know either way.

Finally got the parts, good weather, and a day off, and the pressure gauge I rented ended up being broken out of the box. So, I bought one. I tried using a new Bosch fuel pump and both the factory regulator and an Advance Auto one, and it would not hold proper pressure either way. Would not even get close. During this whole process, I got a tracking information email out of the blue from Quadratec for the whole assembly I ordered. I had previously gotten one saying they were out of stock. So, a whole assembly arrived, I put it in, and everything worked as it should. So, I was unable to get the correct pressure or hold it by simply replacing the pump and regulator from local suppliers. For me, it took replacing the whole assembly. The plus side is now I have a working fuel level gauge because my stock one had stopped working. So for those who are looking, I can verify that Quadratec can get the entire fuel sender assembly. It was around $230 and free shipping. It took nearly a month, but it was well worth it to me. It even came with the gasket for between it and the tank. Good luck.

I am glad you found a solution.

I am curious as to what made the difference between my own experience and yours. Do you still have available to you the part numbers for the parts you were unsuccessfully trying to use?

Sorry for the delayed response. Fuel pump Bosch 69544 and regulator BWD 23020. That is what the local Advance Auto had listed for a 96 so I took a chance to see if I could get the parts locally and not have to wait for parts by mail. So, I am out the cost of those parts, but now we know they did not work. My suspicion is the Bosch pump is fine, but the regulator is not. I would have ordered the correct regulator, but I got the confirmation email that the sending unit was shipping so just waited on it. So, Quadratec can get the full Carter fuel sending unit for anyone who needs one and is willing to wait for it. Only around $235 shipped too. Direct plug and play and everything worked as it should.

Josh, do you have a part number for the entire 96
Carter pump assembly from Quadratec?

Can't seem to find it on their website.

Thanks.

Sorry for the delayed response. Fuel pump Bosch 69544 and regulator BWD 23020. That is what the local Advance Auto had listed for a 96 so I took a chance to see if I could get the parts locally and not have to wait for parts by mail. So, I am out the cost of those parts, but now we know they did not work. My suspicion is the Bosch pump is fine, but the regulator is not. I would have ordered the correct regulator, but I got the confirmation email that the sending unit was shipping so just waited on it. So, Quadratec can get the full Carter fuel sending unit for anyone who needs one and is willing to wait for it. Only around $235 shipped too. Direct plug and play and everything worked as it should.

Thank you for the follow-up.

I will add your experience to my write-up thread.

Quadratec Part No: 51306.0147
Manufacturer Part No: 5003869AA

Direct link: http://www.quadratec.com/products/5...oglemerchant&gclid=CI_6hIa_-cQCFQiqaQodPqMAWw

That is what I ordered and it was an exact match to the factory unit in my 96. Comes with the gasket for the tank. Took maybe 10 minutes to install it. It does not come with any new hoses to the fuel filter, and I recommend getting that. I do not remember the size, but it is the reinforced hose made for pressurized fuel systems. It took around 2-3 weeks for me to get notified that it was shipped, and 2-3 days to receive it after that. Good luck!

Many thanks for the link!
I just placed my order. Thought this part was
unobtainable until your posting.

Good tip on replacing the hoses. Mine are less than
a year old; it's best to use SAE 30R9 for outside-the-
tank hose, 30R10 for hoses submerged in fuel.

Back