• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

136 Amp alternator upgrade for a 2000 XJ

with the 160amp I've run my subwoofers,winch,a/c and headlights one time just to see how it would do and it handled it nicely. Someday I'll have rack lights front and back and mebbe a search light . AlsoI just picked up a modified stock skid with cages to put my stock fog lamps in which I lost when I did my front after mkt. Bumper.

so I kinda intend to use alot of power.. Oh yea I have on board air now so that's more power whenever it kicks on

Someday I'd like to have a deep cycle battery where the airbox is and run a dual batt. Setup to power the campsite without fear of no start the next morn.

B.t.w. normally radios off the minute I leave pavement so I can enjoy being in the woods more.

better to be back on the road you can allways wait until you feel you need it upgraded.. mines a DD and it needs to run so I understand that .

Last edited:
I too turn the radio off when I leave the pavement to be more aware of the nature around me.

The guy at Autozone said when this one goes out I can turn it in, add the difference of the 160 amp, because it has a life time guarantee. Its like getting the upgrade for $50.

Next JCR transfer case skid.

with the 160amp I've run my subwoofers,winch,a/c and headlights one time just to see how it would do and it handled it nicely. Someday I'll have rack lights front and back and mebbe a search light . AlsoI just picked up a modified stock skid with cages to put my stock fog lamps in which I lost when I did my front after mkt. Bumper.

so I kinda intend to use alot of power.. Oh yea I have on board air now so that's more power whenever it kicks on

Someday I'd like to have a deep cycle battery where the airbox is and run a dual batt. Setup to power the campsite without fear of no start the next morn.

B.t.w. normally radios off the minute I leave pavement so I can enjoy being in the woods more.

better to be back on the road you can allways wait until you feel you need it upgraded.. mines a DD and it needs to run so I understand that .

what have you done with your main cables?

This is the bracket modifications to make the 98 ZJ 136a alternator fit the stock brackets on my 91.

Modified_Alt_Brackets.sized.jpg

Basically I used a flap disk to cut the main (rear) bracket enough for the alternator body to bolt onto it, then used a cutoff wheel to chop the small (front) bracket enough to bolt flush.

This is the bracket modifications to make the 98 ZJ 136a alternator fit the stock brackets on my 91.

Modified_Alt_Brackets.sized.jpg

Basically I used a flap disk to cut the main (rear) bracket enough for the alternator body to bolt onto it, then used a cutoff wheel to chop the small (front) bracket enough to bolt flush.

2K has a different alternator bracket. I wish I had taken a picture of it when the alternator was off it. :idea: To take it out you would have to remove the water pump. Also it has a steel bracket in front of the molded one.

I am wondering if it is possible on my XJ to up grade to a bigger alternator and it explains why I was having some difficulty figuring out what you guys were talking about.

I didn't really take pics, this one was to ask what I could do about connectors (they swapped over no problem).

img0332do.jpg

And this is the front bracket ground down.

imageoap.jpg

The two studs in ehall's pic mount through the holes on the motor. See how he ground down the top of those on the bracket? The part they go through on the motor used to be the same size as those. So they have to be ground down too.

Btw, ehall, I'm not sure if I ever thanked you in my thread, but thanks for the info about swapping the connectors!!

I did 2 gauge wires on all my mains...

and no pics of the bracket it's pretty self explanitory grind bracket to fit alt. .. Attatch bracket and you will see the bit that needs trimmed.. I used flap disk on an angle grinder.

on the later models with the externally regulated alt. Like my 01 the 'rango plug plugs right in as well..

Last edited:
2K has a different alternator bracket. I wish I had taken a picture of it when the alternator was off it. :idea: To take it out you would have to remove the water pump. Also it has a steel bracket in front of the molded one.

I am wondering if it is possible on my XJ to up grade to a bigger alternator and it explains why I was having some difficulty figuring out what you guys were talking about.

remove the water pump?? :huh:

it is possible to install a larger alternator... unless the PO swapped in a 99+ WJ (or 01-06 TJ) 4.0, your brackets are the same... alternator is on passenger side, bottom of the motor right?

those pics looked different to me than mine at first but after looking closer that's the same and I'm pretty shure theyre all the same mount wise.

the only difference by year is that older models are internally regulated and those can actually be rewound for higher output I believe.

remove the water pump?? :huh:

it is possible to install a larger alternator... unless the PO swapped in a 99+ WJ (or 01-06 TJ) 4.0, your brackets are the same... alternator is on passenger side, bottom of the motor right?

Yes it's on the passenger side but it looked like it wrapped around from the side to the front where it fit under the water pump and it was held it by two more bolts. :eyes:

So I have the steel bracket in the front and the aluminum one behind that one and it attached to the side of the motor (passenger side) and to the front of the motor too with the water pump sitting in front/on top/means working from the front back its water pump, alternator brackets, motor.

This is a Calif State Department of Insurance vehicle and they were the PO.

Don't think they would do much to it but it does have holes where you could see they had computers and radios installed.

This weekend I will rake the battery out and see if I can get a good picture and put it up.

I think he was thinking about the timing cover, which the front bracket does go through. It's the same for 91-01 afaik.

Well that could be. It is so close to the water pump I just thought it was part of it. Thank you. I was trying to figure out other issues and did not pay proper attention I guess. :dunno:

Just found this post, I'm planning on putting a 136 amp alternator in my 99 Cherokee and was going to upgrade the wires to 4 gauge.

I see a lot of people used a 4 gauge welding wire-I have a bunch of car audio 4 gauge, fine stranded power/ground wires that I wanted to put to use. Does anybody know if there is a difference or if it would be an issue?

I just got my 160 amp alternator and when I opened the box I realized it is the plug style like the 99+ XJ (part # 12329 autozone) and I have a '97 with the post style. I was wondering if there is a way to change my jeeps wiring to work with the 2 wire plug style since I'm upgrading the wiring anyway. I've searched and searched but no info on that, just keep finding links to the alternator upgrade, nothing on re-wiring that part.

2K has a different alternator bracket.
No it doesn't.

Stop mucking around with grand cherokee stuff if you don't want to mess with your wiring harness. ZJs all have have the studs for the field control and WJs don't fit. Get one from a durango as stated earlier and grind the mount and possibly some of the block and timing cover.

I just got my 160 amp alternator and when I opened the box I realized it is the plug style like the 99+ XJ (part # 12329 autozone) and I have a '97 with the post style. I was wondering if there is a way to change my jeeps wiring to work with the 2 wire plug style since I'm upgrading the wiring anyway. I've searched and searched but no info on that, just keep finding links to the alternator upgrade, nothing on re-wiring that part.

Here some info.

Converting pre-1999 alternator to fit 00 & 01 Cherokee XJ

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/converting-pre-1999-alternator-fit-00-01-cherokee-xj-828918/

Rebuilding Nippon Denso Alternator 00-01 56041822AA

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/rebuilding-nippon-denso-alternator-00-01-56041822aa-835511/

You should be able to swap parts between alternators or splice in the correct plugin.

Denso's use three basic types of plugins.

Last edited:
I understand that amps matter more than volts and I understand the difference between the two. That being said, will running a higher amp alternator keep my voltmeter closer to 12 volts when running all of my accessories OR does the voltage regulator inside the pcm just makes sure it stays above 9.5 or 10. I have the same issue that every other XJ owner has. Sitting at idle, turn everything on and I watch the voltmeter plummet to around 10 volts.

I understand that amps matter more than volts and I understand the difference between the two.
Judging from below you really don't.
That being said, will running a higher amp alternator keep my voltmeter closer to 12 volts when running all of my accessories OR does the voltage regulator inside the pcm just makes sure it stays above 9.5 or 10. I have the same issue that every other XJ owner has. Sitting at idle, turn everything on and I watch the voltmeter plummet to around 10 volts.

The PCM will try to attain 14 volts or close to that depending on battery temp, load and other factors. When the engine is off the battery should rest at ~12 volts. When the engine is running the voltage should be ~14 volts. When the accessories are pulling more amps than the alternator can provide the accessory starts pulling juice off the battery. For example. You have a 90 amp alt. You then add a bunch of accessories, lights, audio, compressor, etc. When combined they total out to 130 amps. Now, that is quite a bit higher than the alternator can provide so it will go to the battery for the extra power needed.

Back