• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

13 volts, sometimes tick on start or just nothing. Solenoid trip works though?

Plays For Jeeps

NAXJA Forum User
I have no idea what is going on. Battery, cables, coil, starter, and clamps new last winter. Sometimes when I go to crank her over I get a click, other times no click but all other power works, the terminals/ clamps are clean and Im getin 13 volts on the cable clamps. I tried switching the AC and starter relays and it didnt make a diff.

She runs normally when I jump the solenoid with a screw driver, fires right up.

Any ideas? Ignition?

Thanks guys!

make sure you're getting power to the starter relay (if not, may be ignition switch) and then verify power out of relay (if not, bad relay electromagnet). Lastly, verify power to the NSS (if not, bad wire from relay to NSS)-- If all the above test fine, you've got a NSS in need of cleaning or replacement.

If the starter clicks its probably not the NSS. Check the voltage drop from the positive battery post to the starter post when someone is trying to crank. Do the same to the signal wire on the starter solenoid.

agree completely, if it's the starter clicking. Other relays can also click pretty loud on the older Renix models.

What about your starter relay? I have had two go out on my rigs. They usually start out intertmittent like that then randomly work. What is it to bypass? I think if you can get a jumper wire on +12 with the ignition on stick the jumper into the green wire since its the sensor wire for the solenoid. If it starts then look at the starter relay. if no click make sure you have the right wire IIRC there are two greens side by side one from ignition sw(maybe +12) and one to solenoid. If all is hooked up correctly and no start but click its your starter (maybe the bendix gear is stuck you can whack it with a hammer to get going but you need to replace the starter), if you get no click then its the solenoid and might as well do the starter while your at it. Up here it only costs 10 dollars more for a rebuilt starter than it does for a rebuild kit, thats a no brainer for me since the core is like 15. Good luck

Well new ground strap from the block to the firewall and grounding the starter directly to the battery does the same thing. A loud click.

I wacked the 1 year old start with a hammer and same thing. A loud click. I hate this jeep.

Back