• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

00' XJ no start

With key in "RUN" position, the ASD relay will energize the pump to prime the fuel system prior to cranking. You should hear the pump run when cycling from "OFF" to "RUN".

Otherwise, we have had mulitple cases where an aftermarket crank sensor did not function out of the box. For that reason, we only use OE crank sensors. If the sensor is no good, the ASD won't provide voltage to the pump, ignition coil, or injectors during cranking.

Good luck

With key in "RUN" position, the ASD relay will energize the pump to prime the fuel system prior to cranking. You should hear the pump run when cycling from "OFF" to "RUN".

Otherwise, we have had mulitple cases where an aftermarket crank sensor did not function out of the box. For that reason, we only use OE crank sensors. If the sensor is no good, the ASD won't provide voltage to the pump, ignition coil, or injectors during cranking.

Good luck

The ASD relay energized as did the fuel pump relay.

I have the schematics and figured at least something out. I now have 12V from the relay to the pump, but no ground. The PCM closes a common ground. I ran my own ground to bypass the PCM and it runs like a champ. I'm not sure why the ground isn't being closed.

What's the possibility of damaging something by running my own ground to bypass the PCM?

Your fuel pump should always be grounded... It is grounded at G302 ...a body ground post inside the left rear quarter panel...behind the spare tire mount, behind the interior molding.

I posted that verbatim from my 2000 FSM. I think u stated in an earlier post that one seemed to be more magnetized thatn the other you had, and since it works off magnetization, i put that up there. If you want anything looked up in the 2000 FSM, just hit me up homey

Your fuel pump should always be grounded... It is grounded at G302 ...a body ground post inside the left rear quarter panel...behind the spare tire mount, behind the interior molding.

That's where the ground USED to be, but you're right, I didn't think of that. I guess when I looked at the schematic I didn't look close enough and thought it terminated in the PCM, completely forgot about how that was grounded. That common ground was solid on clean metal with .02 ohms from there to the fuel pump, so I'm not sure what the deal was, I'm just glad it's fixed. Have a lot more work to do to get it back to trail worthy.

Thanks for all the help guys. NAXJA is still the only place I can depend on for solid info for XJ specific things.

I posted that verbatim from my 2000 FSM. I think u stated in an earlier post that one seemed to be more magnetized thatn the other you had, and since it works off magnetization, i put that up there. If you want anything looked up in the 2000 FSM, just hit me up homey

I'll keep that in mind, thanks bro.

Back