• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spring Creek May 17th, The smaller; earlier group

Skully

NAXJA Forum User
First off; no offense to navyblue123 and his organized group. It was a last minute thing and CAGED94XJ made a call and wanted some company on a trail to part de-virginise his new setup on his Heep.

Spring Creek is a very popular trail and usually REALLY busy on the weekends. If you don't get out early enough you have to wait for every other group hitting the obstacles. As navy can attest there was 3 groups between us and him, and maybe an hour apart.

It was Cage94XJ, kstutz, and myself and we hit the trail at 9:15 or so thinking we could possibly get to the meadow and head down Ute/Cascade to head home before 1:00 but didn't happen that way.

At 11:30 we had made it all the way to the Rock Garden (4th obstacle) and you could see where a rig attempted to push through the snow, but gave up. I walked 100ft up through the Rock Garden and 2-3 ft of snow blocking our way and all the rocks hidden underneath;

Picture068.jpg

So it sucks I was hoping to check this one off my list for the year, but now I hate unfinished business and might have to go up there to complete it...........

I got to test out some of my new mods to the Heep in the last 6 months, mainly my new Ballistic Fab LCA's and my Aussie Locker which both worked flawlessly!

I made the first 3 obstacles without any hitches,

(Myself coming up the obstacle #1)
Picture015.jpg

However coming back down the 3rd obstacle I slipped on the now wet and muddy rocks and got hung up on front and rear diffs, had to winch myself forward to get off of them. At this time we ran into the other four groups like some cosmic happening we could not escape, 18+ rigs. We ended up waiting for an hour at the 3rd obstacle mainly for a group of 5 over pretty mall crawlers who where not too realistically equipped ie; no lockers or way TOO TALL!

Again thanks to the other NAXJA brothers for letting us slip by.

I did get some damage but it was not due to the obstacles, in fact it was the stupidest thing. Driving over basic rocky terrain I put my front driver wheel on a big loose rock and as I went over it (I was watching out the window) it spun it directly in front of my crossmember and knocked a nice dent in it;

Picture029.jpg

I also can verify MARK's are wild and do pee in the woods;
Picture069.jpg

Here is a couple random pics.

Look at the little people, "I CRUSH YOUR LITTLE HEAD!"
Picture044.jpg

kstutz at Obstacle #3;

Picture064.jpg

Us stopped to bask in the glory of our perfect climbs up Obstacle #1
Picture021.jpg

What CAGED94XJ's other half does while riding shotgun;
Picture046.jpg

All my pics our here!

Videos will be here in the next couple days. (Huge files,tired, later man, later!)

Last edited:
Re: Spring Creek May 17th, The smaller,earlier group

How'd you like that group that demonstrated what NOT to do with an XJ?

Demolished my exhaust piping today...what fun. (ironically enough, not sarcasm. It was a pretty darn good day.)

sounds like my little brother travis talked to you yesterday morning before you guys headed up we had the two black xjs in the starbucks parking lot we almost jumped in and followed you guys cause there was nobody there when we first got there

anyway i started out leading our group made it up the first obstacle parked to help get some of the other rigs up

my brother started up the first obstacle and managed to bend his tierod pretty good so we had to get him out of the way and spend the next 2 hours swapping in a spare and by that time we kind of just wanted to go home so he tried the first obstacle one more time and went right up it like a pro and we headed home

makes me feel better to know the rock garden was still snowed in so we didnt miss a whole lot still a bummer though good to hear you guys made it through with no problems

Things I learned on this trip:

1) A low CG is highly over rated
2) Coil spring retainers are stupid
3) It takes 14 inches of lift to fit 37s
4) Locker are not needed as long as you lift it

My Jeep worked great, and only most of the bolts came loose in the front end. When I got home I looked over the Jeep and found my drag link loose, bump stop untreaded, and pretty much every other bolt loose. I will post my pictures later.

Caged, are you serious? I found out very much I want a lower center of gravity but my lift does fit the 36's just fine. I agree on the spring retainers, I wound up making some 3" extended lower bumpstops to keep my spring on the lower perch.

Looks like you guys had a decent time, wish I could've gone and not been in NE ruining my truck's engine and fuel pump with E10.

There was one XJ with 11.5" of lift no lockers and on that was all linked out with a D60 rear on at least 14" of lift with only a rear locker. He kept loosing coils in the rear like crazy. They were the stupidist rig I have seen.

sounds like my little brother travis talked to you yesterday morning before you guys headed up we had the two black xjs in the starbucks parking lot we almost jumped in and followed you guys cause there was nobody there when we first got there

anyway i started out leading our group made it up the first obstacle parked to help get some of the other rigs up

my brother started up the first obstacle and managed to bend his tierod pretty good so we had to get him out of the way and spend the next 2 hours swapping in a spare and by that time we kind of just wanted to go home so he tried the first obstacle one more time and went right up it like a pro and we headed home

makes me feel better to know the rock garden was still snowed in so we didnt miss a whole lot still a bummer though good to hear you guys made it through with no problems
I did a pretty good bit of damage to my exhaust. I have to replace the pipe all the way from the manifold back. I took a bit of body damage to both my passenger doors, too. Will have to replace those (Maybe I should just keep this white theme going and get all white doors and a liftgate...).:rattle:

There was one XJ with 11.5" of lift no lockers and on that was all linked out with a D60 rear on at least 14" of lift with only a rear locker. He kept loosing coils in the rear like crazy. They were the stupidist rig I have seen.
I'll post pics of them as soon as I get them. They weren't very smart and they tore up this one fairly difficult climb pretty well. It started off being a couple little patches of mud and some big rocks and finished being a bunch of mud pits and super wet rocks. Took them half an hour to get their "super XJ's" up the hill...

My fav was the Yellow XJ that was skyjacked and all super pretty with matching yellow bling bling everywhere and obviously tons of money into it yet they were open/open drive train. He took like 20 minutes to get up the 3rd obstacle. Then the massive black one with the super scary 14+ lift popping out the coils in the rear coil conversion taking up 30 minutes of our life. The scariest part of his setup was not just the massive lift but the track bar was super scary.

Instead of a custom trackbar he had a JKS trackbar and not even a custom drop trackbar bracket to compensate for the massive lift he had, NO! he used a longer bolt and a spacer of like 4" to drop the trackbar down. Now that was SCARY! :shocked:

The last guy in that group was the only sensible one to me, with the black YJ locked front and rear as he walked right up the obstacle, he made his buddies look really bad.

Last edited:
Thanks to Skully for helping me cook lunch. It was a good time.

Thanks to Skully for helping me cook lunch. It was a good time.

....NO thanks to you and those delicious burritos, I tortured my co-pilot all the way home end of the day! :D

................He deserved it though, he usually tortures me and my wife, we make him go outside the house all the time................so it was a great day!

So uh? Where is all your pics there dude? :speepin:

Skully;244404528 So uh? Where is all your pics there dude? :speepin:[/quote said:
I am lazy that is why they are not up... What about the video?

i will say this...pad that cage....it HURTS when you hit that unexpected rock and POW right to the dome...

otherwise looks fun sucks the snow is still killin a lot of trails

Skully, love your rig/tires.

My friend asked the guy in the yellow rig about his setup. The guy says he put $2200 into it. I could have put half that into it and made it up those obstacles like I was driving on a paved road.

It pains me every time I see people tunnel visioned on lift, lift, lift... My 2" BB and a front locker took me places guys on lots of lift and 33s couldn't go. Oh well, I guess lockers, skids and the like don't look as cool 10"+ of lift and big tires.

It pains me every time I see people tunnel visioned on lift, lift, lift... My 2" BB and a front locker took me places guys on lots of lift and 33s couldn't go. Oh well, I guess lockers, skids and the like don't look as cool 10"+ of lift and big tires.
X2, my 2" lift and 30's with armor and lockers really can rock the s**t out of that trail. I made it up the first obstacle easily and made it all the way up to the rock garden without any trouble. Shame those guys with money to dump into their rigs didn't know what the hell they were doing, you can do some really amazing stuff to an XJ for $2200, lockers in front and back, 4" longarm lift, full skids...

yea right he probably had 2200$ just in the tnt y-link the bling Mt wheels and those Irocks

i was talking to the guy with the black 2 door he was a really nice guy he said not too long ago he was running the same setup but with the stock gear ratio and a dana 35 rear :doh:

Skully, love your rig/tires.

You sure you are not talking about CAGED94XJ's "White XJ"? Not that I do not take compliments but between my red/black combo and CAGED94XJ's rig I figure he would get all the compliments!? :jester:

If it was me, THANKS:exclamati

yea right he probably had 2200$ just in the tnt y-link the bling Mt wheels and those Irocks

i was talking to the guy with the black 2 door he was a really nice guy he said not too long ago he was running the same setup but with the stock gear ratio and a dana 35 rear :doh:

That wasn't a TNT long arm, it was a RUSTY's Offroad setup. I am sorry he had more than $2200 in it. The Fake locks (they did not look like real beadlocks) and IROCs like you mentioned, are more than $1500 new and then the Long arm is $800 new, not including the other lift components and the gigantor roof rack and lights. Even if he bought that stuff used, he still had a lot in it for only $2200

BTW CAGED videos are uploading now, they are okay, my apprentice moved too much and concentrated on the wheels.

Last edited:
I think the camera guy has a tire fetish and A.D.D. LOL.

Thanks for posting those. I didn't have my camera so I don't have any pics of the other NAXJA group.

Back