• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High Compression 4.7L Stroker (Pics)

Mesh

NAXJA Forum User
I’ve read every stoker build or forum post I could possibly find but none of them had quite what I wanted. At first it was going to be a basic build cheap easy very little down time. Then I remembered if there’s any possibility for more power I can’t stop myself. With great mods like an HO head, 99 intake, bored throttle body and larger exhaust how could I say no. I needed an engine that could take full advantage of everything.

I wanted to try and get as much performance out of the engine but stay away from some of the higher end engine parts and machine work, fast expensive but not too expensive. All the parts needed to complement each other. I decided on a high compression 4.7 and mixed in all the best mods.

The only work done by a shop was the machine work on the block everything else was done at home, you get little extra something that way.

I couldn’t have built the engine the way I wanted without the help of my brother and because of that I have to leave out some information. He put in a lot of time and research into this build.

Original Vehicle: 1989 4.0 Limited RENIX AW4 automatic

Head & Block: Head 93 HO port polish, Bee hive valve springs*, 89 Block

Machine Shop: balanced rotating assembly, Bore 0.060” over, decked 0.044”,***

CR: 10.6:1

Camshaft: CompCams 68-232-4

Connecting Rods: AMC 4.2

Pistons: KB Silvolite 3242hc Hypereutectic

Crankshaft: 25300 AMC 4.2

Intake & Fuel: 99 intake gasket matched, 63mm throttle body, custom air filter assembly, modified 99 fuel rail, Bosch 30# injectors, adjustable fuel pressure regulator. 93 throttle cable, modified 93 throttle & kickdown bracket.

Exhaust: Custom full 2.5” 304 stainless, modified APN Header, Magnaflow muffler, Wideband O2 for tuning.

Cooling: Radiator CSF HD 3-Row, open system, dual 12” electric fans

Electrical: Adjustable MAP Sensor, custom battery cables, repaired wiring harness, all new sensors. Modified TPS & adapter bracket.

Other: 99 power steering & tensioner bracket. Other major parts rebuilt or replaced: Transmission, transfer case, Truetrac, larger swaybars and many more.

Cost: As long as I’m happy when it’s finished I don’t care. It was expensive and I will never add it up.

What’s Next: Dyno run hopefully within a month or so I will give another update when that happens. Lots of minor changes I was in a rush near the end. Maybe a modified valve body for the transmission. And when I get bored and need another project switch to Mega Squirt. The RENIX system can run the engine but I think it has more to give.

After about 2000mi everything seems to be working fine it’s fast loud and doesn’t feel like a Cherokee anymore.

I started taking pictures after we finished the bottom end. Sorry.

40132916.jpg

02headclean.jpg

03headinstall2.jpg

04headinstall3.jpg

05imgp0142.jpg

06imgp0144.jpg

07imgp0148.jpg

08imgp0257.jpg

09tensioner.jpg

10imgp0377.jpg

11imgp0430.jpg

yeah man, GREAT looking!

Want me to send you the brackets for a 2.5 TBI alternator/compressor? Switch to dual electrics if you already haven't, and the 2.5 bracket will move your alternator up closer to your compressor and eliminate the clutch fan. I need this crap out of my garage anyways...

yeah man, GREAT looking!

Want me to send you the brackets for a 2.5 TBI alternator/compressor? Switch to dual electrics if you already haven't, and the 2.5 bracket will move your alternator up closer to your compressor and eliminate the clutch fan. I need this crap out of my garage anyways...

I was thinking of moving things around since I have 3 unused pulleys at the moment but I'm going to keep it how it is for now.

High enough for a cherokee

Dang dude what did you do store your jeep indoors all the time.. thats some clean undercarriage... Super clean....:party:

Sparkling clean. Virginal, even!
Now get us some dyno numbers...
Tire size? Gears? Locker?
Two big black stripes of rubber visible once the smoke clears, or what?!

haha, so true. You just don't see too many unbesmirched XJs these days.
In comparison my Jeep's a filthy, filthy, filthy whore.

Dang dude what did you do store your jeep indoors all the time.. thats some clean undercarriage... Super clean....:party:
It wasn't always this clean. Here are some pictures of it being pulled Link. I was tired of being covered in oil every time I worked on it. Also I have an interior to match.

It was fun getting a good fishtail going on dry pavment with with my old stock size tires. Now I have 235/75R15's It killed my power a bit but I can still play around. Truetrac in the rear and stock gears.

hehehe I know what you mean... the XJ used to be the fastest car I'd ever owned (sad, right?) until I put 30s on it.. surprising how much of a difference that makes.

I need solid snowfall to pull a drift these days.

Fishtailed it with the truetrac? Niiiiice!

It wasn't always this clean. Here are some pictures of it being pulled Link. I was tired of being covered in oil every time I worked on it. Also I have an interior to match.

It was fun getting a good fishtail going on dry pavment with with my old stock size tires. Now I have 235/75R15's It killed my power a bit but I can still play around. Truetrac in the rear and stock gears.

Ha, those are teenie tires! I'm sure you still have GOBS of power to use!

What type of fuel do you have to use? I imagine with the RENIX control system you can use the lower grades for around town, but at expense of power. When you hit the trail you can put a higher grade and make your skinny pedal happy!

Even with tires that are 2" taller it’s noticeable. I plan on going up to 31s or 32s then I'll regear.

It was built for 92 octane and that's what I run every day.

I love the exhaust, I'm a geek for clean pipe installs like that. You've inspired me to start keepin eyes out for parts to start my own stroker build.

Too bad it's missing something crucial.
x2
Put a cat in it, dude. The ECU was designed with a cat in mind, a decent cat won't be restrictive, it's safer for the rest of us, legal blah blah blah you get it.

The PCM doesn't give a crap that the cat is there or not as long as the after cat O2 sensor is kept happy in some way. But I agree, you should throw a high flow cat on.

I still love that exhaust though.

Back