• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Real Silent Hill (Centralia, PA) - Underground Mine Fire Burning for 40 Years

GhostDakota

NAXJA Forum User
So this has was my third trip to the town of Centralia, PA. For those who don't know, the town has a mine fire that's been burning for more than 40 years. The town is located in the heart of the Pennsylvania Anthracite Coal Region. This coal is the longest burning, most sought after coal in the world. The fire was said to have begun when a fire in the town dump jumped to an exposed coal vein. The rest is all history. More info here & here.

My friend Sharon rode along with me. My buddy/co-worker Tim and his g/f took his Jeep. You'll prob. recognize his Jeep a little bit as it's from the Fall '08 Quadratec Cherokee catalog. He's removed some of the parts, though.

The weather as 62* with heavy rain, thunder, lightning, and wind gusts in excess of 30 MPH. It made for some hard shots. I did have plastic rain protection for the camera, so that was a plus. I did take a few HDR's, without a tripod, as well as "normal" photos. No PP aside from Photomatix on the HDR's.

Nikon D70s, kit 18-70:

402526767_YmKeZ-XL.jpg

402528089_fkYGe-XL.jpg

402529029_fUdmG-XL.jpg

402531571_Nn6QJ-XL.jpg

402532488_ksLNk-XL.jpg

402533349_mMosf-XL.jpg

402534975_qaqzD-XL.jpg

402526618_v2Xj8-XL.jpg

402526483_ijWfh-XL.jpg

HDR's:
402525315_MNjrw-XL.jpg

402538053_CbX63-XL.jpg

402538731_jxfxD-XL.jpg

402538401_eX8Ai-XL.jpg

402525044_EBztD-XL.jpg

I'll be investigating another area of Centralia in December. I can't wait!

Do you have any of the last shots in high res? Very nice.

maybe ill have 4wd for this next trip lol, it woulda been nice last time

Thanks guys :)

Crab: I am a photographer so I do have them available but I sell them. If you want to talk price, let me know.

Jon: Well it'll be NICE to have 4WD then as I am sure it'll be snowing like piss again in late December when we go back. I can't even believe we DROVE in that blizzard thing last time, man. It was fun and all but kinda scary with 1000 foot drops right off the snow covered, windy highway!

The scary part is that looks shockingly similar to the video game bearing the same name (I assume that's why you titled the thread that)...watch out for zombies next time you're there. Great pictures though.

Yep. The town in the video game/movie is based off of the town of Centralia, PA. And I wasn't aware of the similarity between the churches, but now that that's been said, I see it!

Thats cool stuff man, I showed my wife the pic of the church and she put it together right away without even hearing the story. I love poking around in old creepy places like that.
-Ryan

"Writer Roger Avary had said that as a boy, his father, who was a mining engineer, used to tell him stories about the town of Centralia, Pennsylvania, United States where coal deposits from the local mine caught fire and released toxic gases into the town, as well as creating sinkholes when the abandoned mineshafts and coal seams began to collapse. This forced the majority of inhabitants to evacuate forever. Avary was fascinated since childhood by the idea that fires underneath the town would be burning for such a long time and the story of Centralia was used as the basis for the township of Silent Hill.[4] When the script was finished, a studio memo was sent to Gans and Avary that voiced concerns about the lack of a male presence in the film, since the original story contained a nearly all female cast. Gans and Avary added Christopher's character (named after Gans) and subplot and the script was approved."

&
"The 'real' Silent Hill
Main article: Centralia, Pennsylvania

Writer Roger Avary states about Silent Hill that "the base idea was that this is not a haunted house, it's a haunted town, y'know, separate from our reality, but it also exists within our reality. So you effectively become a ghost during your time there. And it's a very terrifying emotion, that you are a ghost of yourself. Frankly I think it's a theme that's followed me."'

In researching the different elements of Silent Hill, screen writer Roger Avary was inspired when he heard of Centralia, Pennsylvania, and decided to base the film on it. The population of the town has dwindled from over 1,000 residents in 1981 to 12 in 2005[25] and 9 in 2007,[26] as a result of a 46-year-old mine fire burning beneath the borough.

In 1962, an exposed vein of coal ignited, due to the standard policy of burning the garbage on a weekly basis in the borough landfill. Attempts to extinguish the fire were unsuccessful, and it continued to burn throughout the 1960s and 1970s. Adverse health effects were reported by several people due to the carbon monoxide produced.

In 1984, Congress allocated more than $42 million for relocation efforts. Most of the residents accepted buyout offers and moved. Today a handful of occupied homes remain in Centralia. Most of the buildings have been razed, and at casual glance the area now appears to be a meadow with several paved streets through it, and some areas are being filled with new-growth forest."

From what is known about Anthracite Coal and the estimated amount of deposits left below the surface, the fire could burn for another 150-500+ years. They really don't know for sure. It's crazy.

oh man i forgot about the blizzard where i almost spun out while angie and ashlee were sleeping.

I'll be going back on December 14th. MARK your calendars. It's a Sunday. I'm also going back in late December/Early Jan when Jon (redneckboarder) is back in town from NH.

Oh.. BTW.. my gas masks showed up! :)

Main one (Israeli):
408673506_ze222-L.jpg

Backup / for any female friend of mine (Finnish):
408673022_s49iy-L.jpg

Schweet.

You worried about noxious gasses?

I doubt it but if his he convinces his girlfriend it's a danger and they wear them he can pass gas in the jeep without her knowing.:passgas:

i wore one for giggles last time we were there and it didnt stink...i took it off and there was a noticeable difference in smell, plus it looked badass haha

Back