• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheeling/Exploring Centralia PA.

you won't think that if your first one in the line lol. I'm up for an interesting trip but gotta take some precautions ya know :p

Anyone that does go to check the place out, just keep in mind that it is still a real town, and there are people that still live there. The population is pretty small at this point...

As of the 2000 census,GR2 there were twenty-one people, ten households, and seven families residing in the borough. As of late March, 2004, there were eighteen people residing in nine dwellings. The population density was 87.5 people per square mile (33.8/km²). There were sixteen housing units at an average density of 66.7 people per square mile (25.7/km²). The racial makeup of the borough was 100% White.

There were ten households out of which one (10%) had children under the age of 18 living with them, five (50%) were married couples living together, one had a single female householder, and three (30%) were non-families. Three of the households were made up of individuals and one had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.10, and the average family size was 2.57.

In the borough the population was spread out with one (5%) resident under the age of 18, one from 18 to 24, four (19%) from 25 to 44, seven (33%) from 45 to 64, and eight (38%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 62 years. There were ten females and eleven males with one male under the age of 18.

so just be respectful and don't just go driving all over everything.

it's really not a tourist attraction guys... just save the money for a trip to Moab :)

whatevah said:
it's really not a tourist attraction guys... just save the money for a trip to Moab :)

I guess to the guys who live out west it's cool, but i certainly wouldnt drop $1000+ to see a smoldering hole in the ground. (Yellowstone being an exception)

For that kind of money one could book a flight to Alaska and rent a Jeep for a long weekend. Hmmmm...

:)

IntrepidXJ said:
I only stopped by as I was nearby at Paragon.......definately would not have planned a trip just to go there

I caught that part... if your already out this way then by all means check it out. But to make a trip just to see it...i dunno.

John B said:
I caught that part... if your already out this way then by all means check it out. But to make a trip just to see it...i dunno.
If I don't have anything bigger planned this fall then I wanna see this place, things like this town intrigue me very much. I dont mind droppin the paper to see something like this. Its this or yellowstone, so maybe ill do yellowstone this year and centralia next. I dunno, we will see how the cards unfold.

texinteg said:
You could could fly in to my place and we could take one of my Jeeps and some of my buddies and drive up there. Its only an hour from my house. Hopefully by that time I will have both Cherokees back on the road but if not I have one good one and my buddies have other jeeps.

That would be sweet thanks for the offer

jesusjeep19 said:
Man thats like $660 one way for gas! I think it would be alot cheaper to fly in to texinteg's place and go from there. Thanks texinteg for offering a meet place. Im gonna see if I can figure out how much a trip would be. Im thinking sometime later this summer I could probly do a trip.

Maybe we have a large group meet there

yeah i wouldnt spend too much money on a trip to see this place eaither but since its only an hour from my place I am gonna go check it out. I will look to see if there is anything else to do around there. I know if you guys came out you could always hit up Hershey park. That might help make it worth the trip.

texinteg said:
yeah i wouldnt spend too much money on a trip to see this place eaither but since its only an hour from my place I am gonna go check it out. I will look to see if there is anything else to do around there. I know if you guys came out you could always hit up Hershey park. That might help make it worth the trip.

So far what I have figured is it would cost 600 at the least to fly over and have spending money(Round trip ticket is 450). But Im thinking about waiting till next year when my xj is set up with what I want cause then I could hit up a few roading spots over there and on the way too(Like paragon, moab, rubi) Jus tan idea but might make the trip more worth it. And what's hershey park?

it's a pretty good-sized amusement park. "the sweetest place on earth". not very well known (thankfully) compared to Six Flags which makes it less crowded and better clientele. You have to walk through metal detectors at Six Flags.

texinteg said:
its an amusement park about 30min from my place. They make the Hershey Chocolate there. google it.
It's better than Disneyland by far, it combines two of my favorite things thrill rides and chocolate. I would like to go back the last time I was there I didn't get to eat at any food from the restaurants there.

there are better restaurants outside the park. there is a place by my house that has 35 cent wings. I have no clue how they get wings as big as they serve but they are damn good. One of the local jeep clubs I am a member of meets there once a month.

WaXJ_Skier said:
It's better than Disneyland by far, it combines two of my favorite things thrill rides and chocolate. I would like to go back the last time I was there I didn't get to eat at any food from the restaurants there.

Knobles is right down the street from centralia too, its a free park to get into closer than hershey

Don't forget about Rausch Creek ORP, if you drive all that way to drive through the burning ghost town you might as well spend a day or so wheeling at RC.

jesusjeep19 said:
So far what I have figured is it would cost 600 at the least to fly over and have spending money(Round trip ticket is 450). But Im thinking about waiting till next year when my xj is set up with what I want cause then I could hit up a few roading spots over there and on the way too(Like paragon, moab, rubi) Jus tan idea but might make the trip more worth it. And what's hershey park?

You may want to wait to see about paragon, as it is currently closed and in a court case over their land rights and such.

Back