• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric fan conversion install (DAILUP BEWARE!!!)

foxwar71

NAXJA Forum User
Ive never really liked the cooling setup on my 99 XJ and lately have had some issues of running hot. add to that a dead fan clutch and at least 1/3 of the radiator clogged with mad. since this is now a trail rig only now, i knew i needed something better suited towards low speed driving. i was at a local swap meet and found two 10" elec fans rated at 1000-1200 cfm and 5-7 amp draw. i figure these should take care of the job. i plan to run these as my primary fans and use the factory aux fan (99 style so its the better one) with a switch to have it at factory defualt or constant ON. i figured id add may conversion im doing for anybody thats interested and could use it.

started with pulling the radiator out of the front end
35arsl3.jpg

f4kbiq.jpg

i spent last week doing my new switch panel to control the fans and aux override
14jcduu.jpg

i put the top bracketry back on the radiator after i remove it. my plan is to make a shroud that will mount on the top and bottom of the supports so that if needed i can still replace the radiator and make removal possible. this is with the aux fan in stock location
2946hcg.jpg

264nolc.jpg

new fans, 1000 cfm 5-7 amp reversiable, they measure 21.5" when next to each other. total width of the core was 31". the factory aux is around 12-13" with the shroud this meant that the fans would have to overhang at the ends by 1-2". the new fans fit fine over the pass side, but the aux fan shroud would interfer with the filler neck, bottom hose, and tranny input/output (auto tranny).
69mf4l.jpg

veiw of what needed to be trimmed and such
2dw6eft.jpg

here is the lower drivers side of the shroud trimmed to fit
21cvw4x.jpg

i also had to trim a small section of the upper support to clear the top of the aux fan shroud
2cdegdl.jpg

top side of the shroud trimmed, u can see in the center of the pic where i had to trim the upper support
261exci.jpg

planned location of the fans (wood is to space the fans away from the core and for mock up of shroud)
2s984ns.jpg

i plan to build a shroud out of 18 ga sheetmetal. hopefully i will get started on it tomorrow and have more pics as i update this thread.

Last edited:
Hope it works out for you but a total extra 2000 cfm is marginal at best. Really should be aiming for 2500+. At least you have the later model A/C fan which pulls more than the others so might be alright. Some have found that just using 2 of those has worked for them.

I'm gonna attempt using the two ac fans this week or next(as long as the jy has one). I'll use a 2-pole switch for a thermo and "on".

Gojeep said:
Hope it works out for you but a total extra 2000 cfm is marginal at best. Really should be aiming for 2500+. At least you have the later model A/C fan which pulls more than the others so might be alright. Some have found that just using 2 of those has worked for them.

I was aiming more towards 2500 but i knew if i went with 12" fans then i would run into the problem of them beign to wide side-by-side. i figure that pretty much most of the time im out in the jeep, ill have the aux fan override on

got some more progess done today. finished the lower mounts of the aux fan. i reused one of the mounts from the eng fan shroud and welded it in place
2w7o203.jpg

i used some 1" x 1" angle aluminum for the fan mounts on the top and bottom. the bottom uses the old right side aux fan mount and the right side eng fan shroud mount and is bolted on. the top is bolted to the top radiator support
11br9kl.jpg

22cbvl.jpg

i marked out the locations of the mounts for the 2 fans and drilled them out. i used 1/4" x 20 bolts and clip-in style u-nuts to fasten thme down
2i95mix.jpg

with fans mounted up
eu59qg.jpg

i began to layout a cardboard template for the shroud
34yek92.jpg

i plan to leave the areas in the corners, over all its a really good fit all the way around, forcing all the air to be pulled through the radiator.
szwqiv.jpg

most importantly, the two fans are jsut a shade bit lower then the aux fan so it should clear all of the front accessories
ejz909.jpg

Nice!! Keep us posted! This mod is high on my list!!:thumbup:

BIgDaddyChia said:
why 3 fans. Why not just run a set of flex a lite dual fan set up. Thats what I am installing on my 92. 2500 CFM dual 12 inch fans.

because that set up is $300 and i got these fans for $25 each and the 1"x1"x4' was $5. plus i like doin things myself.

foxwar71 said:
because that set up is $300 and i got these fans for $25 each and the 1"x1"x4' was $5. plus i like doin things myself.

thats hard to beat right there - subsribed as well!

got the fan shroud done today so now all i need to do is wait for the snow to stop, re-do my tranny lines and temp sender, and have the radiator boiled clean. on to the pics....

i started with the outside of the shroud and worked it to fit nicely around the fans and also to clear the radiator hose.
2rzcv2r.jpg

i left about a 1/2" over hang at the sides and rigged up a ghetto brake on the side of the work bench. seemed to come out pretty good
10if494.jpg

i purposely left more then enough and filed in some notches and trimmed the ends to get a really good fit
2zzot2w.jpg

next, i layed out the size of the fan blades and cut out the centers
nxvt46.jpg

a little bit of trimming and mounted the fans up!!!!
befrkj.jpg

all in all, the shroud fits great and has almost no gaps around the edges where it meets the radiator. it should be pullin all of the air through the radiator. more to come when i get it installed and running.

Just hope you are going to clean the fines in that radiator too!
Also make sure you have a rubber strip or something to stop the possibility of the shroud edges rubbing through the radiator.

I don't know if this has been asked or not, but...what size belt did you use?

I have a 98 with A/C, what size belt would I use to eliminate my mech. fan>

Later
Cipey

(thats cuz I'm doing a Taurus conversion starting tonight while i wait for my rims and tires)

I scored the Taurus fan at the JY yesterday, so once I get that big@$$ relay, some 10 gauge, and that belt(I too wanna know the part # as I have a 96 w/ ac) I'll do the mod.

Back