• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Fluid

dlarrivee

NAXJA Forum User
I realize this topic has been beat to hell already, but I just wanted to point out a little note here...

The Owners Manual and Factory Service Manual do not agree on what I should use...

Owners Manual:
4.0L Engine: Mopar Automatic Transmission Fluid or equivalent labeled DEXRON® II or MERCON®

Factory Service Manual:
Mopar® Dexron III/Mercon is the recommended fluid for AW-4 automatic transmissions.
Dexron II fluid IS NOT recommended. Clutch chatter can result from the use of improper fluid.

And my dealer gave me Mopar ATF+4, and yes I realize the tranny is made by Aisin-Warner and is not a Chrysler tranny.

So, what's the general consensus here, take the Mopar ATF+4 back and get Dexron III?

dlarrivee said:
So, what's the general consensus here, take the Mopar ATF+4 back and get Dexron III?

The simple answer, YES. While you are there, explain to the parts guy that the AW4 does not take ATF, it takes Dexron III.
Its amazing, how many years has the AW4 been in the XJ and the very people who should know better, still dont.

I believe there was a technical service bulletin about this at some point however... I'd like to see that.

Would a Dodge dealer have Dexron III?

dlarrivee said:
I believe there was a technical service bulletin about this at some point however... I'd like to see that.

Would a Dodge dealer have Dexron III?

They should have it because they service vehicles (XJs) that use it, but Im betting they dont have it and thats why you got ATF.

I think the guy just grabbed it without checking the computer or anything, and it was on Christmas eve... Not a big deal to me really, I just want to know what I should be using.

I had dexron in my 01 and after about 8 months started to have a whine from the bellhousing. It sounded like a power steering pump going bad, but it was faint. it varied with RPM as well. Over the next 4 months the noise got worse to the point everyone noticed it. I figured i was losing a pump, but it shifted fine and no leaks. I figured it couldn't hurt to put ATF 4 in it since it was recommended. The noise went away after a week. Now it could have been because it was Valvoline Maxlife Dexron/Mercon3, not sure, but no probelms what so ever now. The Mopar Dexron should be ok. According to Alldata ATF4 is recommended. I used full synthetic. I think if you go with the service manual advice you should be ok.

Last edited:
"just to let everyone know, as of oct 16 2007 atf+4 is now the dealer recommended fluid in the aw4 trans. this is according to chrysler tsb #21-014-07" 90xjwagonneer.
I have put this in my junk since I got it and changed ALL the fluids 1.5 yrs ago w/180,+++ . No problems yet. Its what I was told by the parts store even though to owners manual says diff. But then again that was written in between 1986-89.....?or earlier.

Last edited:
90XJLtd said:
"just to let everyone know, as of oct 16 2007 atf+4 is now the dealer recommended fluid in the aw4 trans. this is according to chrysler tsb #21-014-07" 90xjwagonneer.

Ill still use dex. I dont give a crap what those idiots at chrysler say. Besides my XJ isnt a chrysler. :roll:

!!!1

(i cant think of anything else to say, its the eleventy billionth time this has been discussed)

JNickel101 said:
!!!1

(i cant think of anything else to say, its the eleventy billionth time this has been discussed)

Why post then?

It would be nice if the people who were claiming this or that had actually done some research, and checked Owners Manuals, FSMs, TSBs, etc. etc. instead of just sharing an opinion they heard from someone else.

90XJLtd said:
"just to let everyone know, as of oct 16 2007 atf+4 is now the dealer recommended fluid in the aw4 trans. this is according to chrysler tsb #21-014-07"

I Have been runnin the +4 for a year now and my AW4 loves it!! Chrysler is not going to change something unless there is good reason. Basicly the +4 is better for the Tranny! Take it or leave it, does not matter. I run it and it works great.

Good point.

I love comments like "those idiots at Chrysler", etc. etc.

They wouldn't say to use ATF+4 in all these models of vehicles with different transmissions if the fluid was going to cause problems. We're talking about a company with entire departments to check these things.

That's true, especially if there is risk of warranty problems.

That is why I felt comfortable about using Dexron VI in my AW4. GM requires Dex 6 for warranty service wherever previous versions of Dex were specified, which means they have to pay costs if it doesn't work. Compounded by the fact that they are not renewing OEM licenses for Dex 3 anymore... Think about the legal exposure behind something like that.

Interesting topic, and I have seen all sorts posted here where it can be confusing. Here is a bit more to add......

I called our local Jeep dealer, who has worked on all my Jeeps, going back to 1988. They said for my 1990, use Dexron III/Mercon in both the AW4 and the transfer case. However, my '04 GC uses different fluid even with the 4.0 and auto/select trac.

Since my 90 has over 260,000 miles, they said just change the fluid, and not flush at the dealership since it might over pressure the old parts in the tranny. Basically, if it works, don't mess with it.

I am simply amazed that this Jeep runs as well as it does with so many miles. I just hope the GC does as well.............

XJ's are one heck of a 4x4............:eeks1:

pist5.0 said:
I had dexron in my 01 and after about 8 months started to have a whine from the bellhousing. It sounded like a power steering pump going bad, but it was faint. it varied with RPM as well. Over the next 4 months the noise got worse to the point everyone noticed it. I figured i was losing a pump, but it shifted fine and no leaks. I figured it couldn't hurt to put ATF 4 in it since it was recommended. The noise went away after a week. Now it could have been because it was Valvoline Maxlife Dexron/Mercon3, not sure, but no probelms what so ever now. The Mopar Dexron should be ok. According to Alldata ATF4 is recommended. I used full synthetic. I think if you go with the service manual advice you should be ok.

According to the FSM, GL-5 gear oil is just fine in the AX-series transmissions - but it don't work. Experience has shown that the bronze synchroniser rings in the transmission get attacked by the sulphur added to GL-5 gear oil (not just the AX-series gearboxes, either. I've known some of the old Muncie SM-series and the old Ford Toploaders to have the synchros dissolve as well.) And, GL-5 is recommended by both the FSM and the owner's manual.

They're wrong. GL-3 is preferred, and GL-4 is acceptable - but GL-5 will damage your transmission with significant use. Anyone else that recommends GL-5 for transmissions with bronze internals is also wrong - chemistry has proven that over and over again - as well as reports from the field and personal experience.

As I've been able to determine thus far, the friction modifier package in the ATF +series and the Dexron II/IIE/III fluids are different (I don't know about Dexron VI yet.) That's what causes the chatter and such. Reports from the field are consistently bad on using ATF +3/+4 in the AW4, and there are reports from the field that show that the use of synthetic DII/IIE/III cause similar problems (because the synthetic fluid actually lubricates too well.)

Also, there is a "DII" stamped into the drain plug itself - meaning that the Aisin factory endorses the use of Dexron II fluid. Dexron IIE and III are reverse-compatible with Dexron II (again, I'm not sure about Dexron VI. I can still find DII/IIE/III without too much trouble, so I've not been inclined to investigate.)

"MOPAR Dexron" may be a misnomer - since the MOPAR fluids are all supposed to be ATF +3/+4 now (they haven't used Dexron/Mercon in years, but it's the old GM and MOPAR spec. "Type F" was the old Fords, and most Japanese automakers used Dexron for a number of years. I haven't seen Type F in quantity in a while, but it does make a good hand cleaner in a pinch. Use that stuff in early C3/C4/C6, Ford-O-Matic, FMX, and the like.)

As far as "companies with entire departments to check those things," I don't doubt what you're saying - but also bear in mind the effect that accountancy has on things like that. Granted, processes have improved - but a good example is that the connecting rods in the third-gen HEMI aren't forged. They're made from powdered metal and the bit ends are 'cracked' to separate the cap. Why? Because power metallurgy is cheaper than forging.

As I've said, powder metallurgy processes have improved significantly. However, another example of powder metallurgy is the little knuckle on early XJs (up to 1995 or so, I think) that the bottom stud of the power steering pump rides in, and that rides on the long 5/16" screw to adjust the belt. I've broken four of them so far - they all snapped on the end with the threaded hole. Oops. It was probably a bit cheaper to make that part using powder metallurgy - but I'm willing to bet that the engineer who designed that originally specified wrought stock machined to size. Hell, cast parts would be better there, given the processes available at the time!

So, I could see that the accountants would simplify things down to ATF +3/+4 companywide, and figure that the simplified logistical train would more than offset the "occasional" warranty service from non-Chrysler transmissions. Then they convinced the legal department that it would work out. Meanwhile, the engineering department was probably swearing at accounting and legal the whole time.

"I am the engineer, you are the beancounter. Your job is to keep track of my beans, not tell me what to do with them!" - Mickey Thompson, ca. 1985.

Can we all just agree to disagree? Some people run DexIII religiously and have no problems....others get away with running a +4 or VI or a "multi-vehicle atf" (like me...Amsoil TorqueDrive)

personally, i think as long as you switch out ALL the fluid, doing a complete flush and filter change, and as long as your tranny was in great condition to begin with, you should be fine. the AW4 is a very robust tranny.

EDIT: but hey, what do i know anyway....lol

Exactly! Why do you people think Chrysler would put a fluid into a tranny if it's going to mess it up... I guarantee they'd put ATF+4 into my AW4 if I had them do work on my Jeep. If it did mess it up, they'd be at fault...

I just don't understand this garage mechanic stubbornness, what makes these guys think they know better than Chrysler does?

Quick, someone alert Toyota that they are recommending the wrong fluid for their transmission. Tell them to call Chrysler if they have any questions.

Heres the bulletin that says its ok to use ATF4 in the AW4. Apparently its backward compatible with ATF1-2-3 but says nothing of DMIII
http://www.xkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_xk_2101407.pdf

I will admit my ignorance about the ATF4 but what I do know is that Toyota recommends their Toyota IV ATF or Dexron III and nothing else for their A340 (aka AW4). I believe Toyota, so shoot me.

Back