• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

For those with 35's on 4.5

x2elite

NAXJA Forum User
I am currently running 33-12.50s on my 4.5 inch lift, and have absolutely zero rubbing issues. I found a good deal on some 35's, and I am thinking about purchasing them. The question is will I be able to run these on my 4.5. I am prepared to trim the fenders (thinking about BW flares anyway), and realize that I will have to do alot of Bumpstopping. With proper bumpstopping do you think that this is doable? How long of front bumpstops do you think I will need, and where is a good place to buy them.

x2elite said:
I am currently running 33-12.50s on my 4.5 inch lift, and have absolutely zero rubbing issues. I found a good deal on some 35's, and I am thinking about purchasing them. The question is will I be able to run these on my 4.5. I am prepared to trim the fenders (thinking about BW flares anyway), and realize that I will have to do alot of Bumpstopping. With proper bumpstopping do you think that this is doable? How long of front bumpstops do you think I will need, and where is a good place to buy them.

If you're prepared to trim a little... heck yeah it's doable. I'm not sure how tall of bumpstops you'll need, but I ran 4.5" w/ 35's a while back.
Billy

Awesome.... then I shall go ahead and buy the 35's today. I just have to find out where to get some good bumpstops, and how much bumpstopping I will need. I wheel my rig pretty hard, but my sheet metal is pretty much straight and I'd like to keep it that way. Call me a p***y if you want, but I want my rig to look just as good as it performs.

What kind of flex do you get? I didn't bump stop mine on 33's and 5" of lift and it was all in the fenders. I guess if you have no up travel then you are fine but that really limits travel. I am curious as to what kind of set up you have at the moment. I got 10" of lift and 38's and mine is still in the fenders.

just set your bumpstops right and you will have no issues, lift height doesnt change where your tires compress, they will always compress to the bumpstops unless you run ungodly stiff springs.

brokeflexndeuce013.jpg

^^^^Great Pic^^^^

family TJ said:
What kind of flex do you get? I didn't bump stop mine on 33's and 5" of lift and it was all in the fenders. I guess if you have no up travel then you are fine but that really limits travel. I am curious as to what kind of set up you have at the moment. I got 10" of lift and 38's and mine is still in the fenders.

I am currently running a RE4.5 and just using bumpstops about an inch or two longer thans stock.

I need to make some bump stops now so that I can try to keep them out of fenders. I never worried about it before an that was my problem. I am curious to see what everyone uses to extend them. I have to figure something out. My rear shocks were limiting the up travel and as you all know they tend to stop working effectively when they get slammed a couple of times. I got them set about right now though.

Aren't you limiting up travel doing 35's on a 4.5" lift?I mean yeah you can bump stop, but thats limiting your travel.

Up travel isnt everything. I flex out great with 33's, 35's arent "that" much bigger.

look at how the buggies with endless budgets are setup, a nice low untippy center of gravity ,barely any compression and loads of droop. and look at how capable they are.

benefits of low cog: less prone to rollover, and better hill climbing abilities due to less weight transfer.

imo those benefits far outweigh having to use your skid plates slightly more often

x2elite said:
Up travel isnt everything. I flex out great with 33's, 35's arent "that" much bigger.

I run 33x12.50 MTR's on a RE 5.5" kit.They were rubbing like crazy.It took adding ACOS up front, a 1.5" block set in the rear, and some JKS bumpstops to clear the fenders without trimming.Now for the trails I do, Calif desert, its perfect.I'm getting 35's soon too, but not till I get my D44 finished, chromoly's and a truss up front, and 4.88's.Hope to see some pics of your rig when you get your new sneakers mounted.

original.jpg

I cut off a 3/8" wood lag bolt down to about 1 1/2" long and welded it to the lower front axel bumpstop. Then I cut down some large Harbor Freight ruber mallet heads down to lenght and screwed them onto the lag bolts. Works great and I never feel it bottoming out. At slow flex it hits the ruber mallet bumpstop and pivots the axel but on hard straight on hits it compresses further up which is ok since the wheels are straight. On the rear I welded an extension of steel onto the spring plates and glued 1 hocky puck on to hit the factory bumpstop. I think 5" would be the best height for 35's but with some beating in of the front inner fenders and trimming the rear as high as you can go you can make it work nice. I still bottom out on the rear bumpstops a little harder than I like at times but never really on the trails. It seems to be a good setup for off camber down hills but I catch my sliders on the rocks more than those with more common height lifts. I'm running stiff springs also which is kinda a must with low lift and a lot of bumpstop IMHO.
I'm real happy with it but may add another leaf to the rear when it settles more.

I would imagine that you could still get some travel even with bigger bumpstops. It would limit up travel but how bad would that affect the down travel on the opposite side?

P.S. if someone would like to message me about my truck that would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to do about the same thing to my truck.

x2elite said:
Do you have any pics of your current setup?
and is your backspacing 4"?

I rub like a mofo on 35"s, but it's my stupid Trail-Ready bumper ends, which I've already trimmed and re-boxed. I'll be welding on some 1" tube to the top of the rear bump stops (built-up on top of the spring plate) and adding another hockey puck to each side and a longer bolt on the fronts.

Back