• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weird steering wheel angles after wheeling...

53guy

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so its kinda strange, but I was wondering if anyone else had similar issues. I had my Jeep aligned a few weeks ago and everything was good and straight and after I got off the trail and back on the road again, my steering wheel was about 90* to the left, but the Jeep drove fine. I'm thought that it might have been my tie rod ends shifting, but I'm not positive. Anyone else have this problem or have a solution? I hit a rut that was about a foot deep going about 10mph, the Jeep went through it fine, but my steering wheel is all turned. Nothing appears to have shifted and none of the threads on the drag link or tie rod look like that were forced at all. Any ideas?

You likely bent your draglink where it bends out to clear your pass side sway bar link.

Draglink.jpg

I did this three times before upgrading to the 1 ton steering I have now.

Good luck,
CW

That is weird. I was thinking the same about the threads but if they look cool than im not too sure. What year is it again?
When u go over bumps, does your steering wheelbounce up and down? Not left to right but up and down. My 92 doesnt move at all. But my 97 does. I wonder if this is normal for all the 97 and newer steering colomns. And yes my steering wheel does move like yours after a trail trip. No messed up threads either. I just have too move the colar till i get it back to normal. And it doesnt go out of alighnment. Drives fine.
Weird huh??

JEEPTUBE said:
That is weird. I was thinking the same about the threads but if they look cool than im not too sure. What year is it again?
When u go over bumps, does your steering wheelbounce up and down? Not left to right but up and down. My 92 doesnt move at all. But my 97 does. I wonder if this is normal for all the 97 and newer steering colomns. And yes my steering wheel does move like yours after a trail trip. No messed up threads either. I just have too move the colar till i get it back to normal. And it doesnt go out of alighnment. Drives fine.
Weird huh??

Exactally, the alignment is still good, but the drag link somehow get's shorter without messing up the threads. I thought I might have bent the drag link, but it sure doesn't look like it...no cracked paint, no crazy huge bend other than normal.....and no, my steering wheel doesn't jump up and down when I go over a bump, but I do have a touch of bump steer. Its a 1999 btw.

cwlongshot said:
You likely bent your draglink where it bends out to clear your pass side sway bar link.

Draglink.jpg

I did this three times before upgrading to the 1 ton steering I have now.

Good luck,
CW

I'm gonna go look again....

I wonder what is causeing my steering wheel to bounce up and down. I checked the brace for the streeing colomn and everything is tight. Maybe a drop pitman arm would help?

Ok, went out and took some pictures, let me know if anything seems off...

standard

standard

standard

standard

standard

standard

standard

standard

This is the rut by the way....came back around and took a picture after I had dropped into it..

standard

standard

No, I'm sitting perpendicular to the way I came at it. The left side went in just before the right tire did, so I almost went at it right on.

Check your Trackbar also. 90 degrees is pretty far for the wheel to get turned. Either your draglink got longer or your trackbar got shorter.....or your knuckle.....frame....steering box...blah blah..

edit. just read how you hit it. how are your la's?

passxj said:
Check your Trackbar also. 90 degrees is pretty far for the wheel to get turned. Either your draglink got longer or your trackbar got shorter.....or your knuckle.....frame....steering box...blah blah..

edit. just read how you hit it. how are your la's?

Long arms are just fine. Frame mounts are just fine as well. The long arms are like huge assed skids...I've drug them across many things. I took a look at the heims to see if they'd been messed up at all....all is good there too. I haven't had a chance to fully inspect the track bar, but the track bar mount is my next concern, although that is a solid peice too.

Have you tried working it out while watching it? Get a friend in the Jeep. Start it. Hold the brakes hard or put it against a curb. Have them steer it back and forth and see what you can see moving. It's always worked for me.

no, haven't had a chance yet....what would holding the brakes do for you?

More than likely youve had a change in ride height.At that lift with stock steering/trackbar mounting,the steering wheel centerline will move around alot.I have to re-adjust my draglink every few months,usually after a "good" outing.Youll also want to check your toe as it changes as well.

RCP Phx said:
More than likely youve had a change in ride height.At that lift with stock steering/trackbar mounting,the steering wheel centerline will move around alot.I have to re-adjust my draglink every few months,usually after a "good" outing.Youll also want to check your toe as it changes as well.

But 90* in one outing? I think I may have noticed a change in ride height that dramatic. I'll take a look at that too though.

53guy said:
But 90* in one outing? I think I may have noticed a change in ride height that dramatic. I'll take a look at that too though.
Yep,in one outing Ive seen it happen and not just on my rigs.Because of the radical angles it doesnt take much to move the axle thru an arc.

JEEPTUBE said:
how does it move if everyting is tight? Skipping threads?

that's what I thought too, but look at the pictures, no threads are messed up. I'm leaning towards either the track bar/mount or the TRE's not all the way seated and shifting a bit, but I don't know. I'll have to look at it tomorrow with someone turning the wheel for me.

Back