• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case drop....

Well...I don't know what year you have but on my 96 it was a matter of removing the 2 rear most bolts and then the forward most studs. The studs are a little stubborn and I had to use 2 nuts (4 if you include mine :) ) to lock down on each other and unscrew the stud. Even then, mine were really difficult to get out. I used a torch to persuade them. It took a while of backing them in and out until I was able to get them removed.
One problem I ran into was my crossmember would not line up with the holes in the body after it was lowered an inch. I could get one side bolted up very loosely and then try and muscle the other one. The lift company said it was a 10 minute install but thts was not the case at all. That's it really.

if you don't have torches, or a friend who does, save yourself a lot stress/anger/cursing/grief/time, and just take it to Midas. Kill 2 birds with one stone and get an alignment while you're there too(if you haven't yet).

wow i got lucky.m not kidding when i say this, i got it done in linke 5mins. Studs came right out and i put spacers in and my vibes are gone.... No torch, no stud puller, just a wrench.lol

You, sir, are a dirty bastad. Glad to hear it went smoothly.

The 1st time I pulled my cross member to work on it, things went just as smooth. When I dropped what remained of it to install a Rusty's dropped cross member, one of the little SOGs broke.

im having trouble getting my studs out. why the eff are there one bolt (easy and makes sense) then a stud? why not both bolts. very frustrated.

can i drive with only one bolt on each side (one front and one back so they kinda hold it in the right position)??

i dont haven a shim on my back axle and notice the angle on the driveshaft to the axle is greatther than the driveshaft out of the transfer case. its a 4.5 rubicon superflex lift. does anyone have any pointers for me. did anyone elses jeep (mines a 96) have vibes after the t case drop and no shims installed?

thanks, nick

I used a vise grip to remove mine. YES it tears the crap out of the studs but they are coming out anyways. I installed my TC lowering kit then I couldn't shift into 2nd, 4th or Reverse. So I removed it and have 2* shims on my rear axle. No vibes at all w/ a 4.5" lift.

Use a stud remover, two nuts backed up to eachother, pipe wrench, vice grips or anything else you can come up with. PB Blaster or the like will help as well.

I just finished my drop and used a pair of vise grips after using PB Blaster. I used the hole just forward of the stud get some up above the stud in the frame rail. I just squirted at an angle so it would hit above the stud and drip down. I let it sit 10 minutes and locked on the vise grips. It still didn't want to go so i just started applying back and forth pressure and after a minute or so it gave a little. Kept up with the tight/loosen pressure and within a few minutes had the stud out. This worked on both studs.

I know this is an older thread but I hope this info helps someone down the road.

Im about to install mine to get rid of the vib's, does the lowering kit have any adverse effects? Im new to this but doesnt it just pivot the whole engine and transmission at an angle rather than actually lower it?

Thanks

You are correct! You will lose an inch of clearance at the cross member but unless you're crawling over really tall things and tend to high-center yourself you'll be fine.

Between the drop, adjustable trackbar, alignment and tire balance I've eliminated ALL wobble at ALL speeds. YEA! I love my Cherokee again!

Ok, one more question: I have what looks like a factory skid plate for the transfer case, it is place diagonal from the crossmember to the frame rail with 2 bolts on the crossmember and 1 on the frame rail.

The instructions dont say anything about the skid plate and dont inclued a spacer block for the skid plate. Im thinking about just getting some square tubing thats the same size as the spacers they gave me so I can keep the skid plate.

Anyone else done this?

I used the skyjacker tcase lowering kit so I wouldn't have to fool around with removing the studs. It's just a piece of square tubing instead of a solid piece of metal. You put it over the stud, put a nut on the stud, then a nut and bolt through the other side of the tube below the stud. Back side gets a longer bolt. Very easy to do.

Cool, thats the kit I got. Was it a pain to tighten up the nut onto the stud since its inside the tubing? I was thinking of trying to use one of those wrenches that ratchets.

What thickness was your kit? Mine is 1 1/2".

Thanks

jekyllrider said:
Im about to install mine to get rid of the vib's, does the lowering kit have any adverse effects? Im new to this but doesnt it just pivot the whole engine and transmission at an angle rather than actually lower it?

Thanks
Lowers your ground clearance under the tcase by 1''.

The angle is low enough that it wont effect anything else enough to worry about. Tons of people do it all the time, and never have any problems.

edit: woah, edited your post while I was replying. Disregard then.

Back