• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 Steering - Tech Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kittrell

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Alright, there are alot of different options as far as steering goes for our Dana 30 Front Axles. There is a ton of info spread across NAXJA in alot of threads. So I am going to try to bring it all together, as the question concerning steering comes up often. There are basically three categories concerning Complete Bolt on Steering Systems for Cherokees: Crossover using TRE's, Crossover using Heims, and Stock HD Replacement. I will list the options I have found in this order. Each kit is linked with pics, they are not directly linked to the page to save load time.

Crossover With TRE's

-----Arguably the Best Option for a Daily Driver that is wheeled regularily

Toys By Troy - True Crossover Steering

Uses a High Steer knuckle, combined with his Alumi-Flex Tie Rod and Drag Link. This Kit retails for $950, $750 after a Core Return of your stock knuckles.

On Rig

Offroad Only - U-Turn

Uses a set of brackets that bolt to the backside of your stock knuckles. Matching Tie Rod and Drag Links are constructed from 4130 Chromoly, finished in Hammerite paint. This Kit retails for $649.

Layout

On Rig

Tera Flex - Tera High Steer

Utilizes a High Steer Knuckle, combined with a Chromoly HD Tie Rod and Drag Link. This Kit retails for $485.

Layout

Crossover With Heims

-----More Offroad Oriented

Phat Jeeps - Canyon Climber

Has the same basic mounting sytem as the Offroad Only set up with brackets that bolt to the backside of your stock knuckles. The main difference is the use of Heims in place of TRE's. In addition this mounting system seems to be stronger, and better designed. This Kit retails for $565.

Layout

On Rig

Rusty's Offroad - Rusty's Over the Knuckle Steering Conversion

Uses a bolt that mounts through the knuckle to hold the Tie Rod and the Drag Link over the top. The steering aspect is bolt on, but the kit also includes pieces to correct the trac bar angle. This section of the kit includes weld on components. All pieces are constructed from 1.5" DOM. This Kit retails for $490

Layout

On Rig

Bullet Proof - Bullet Proof Steering

Uses a bolt that mounts through the knuckle to hold the Tie Rod on the bottom and the Drag Link over the top. Kit also has many upgrade options, such as Over the Knuckle, "Race Proof," and "Rock Proof Tubing." Basic Kit retails for $329.

Stock H.D. Replacement

-----Ideal for the Daily Driver with tired steering that sees the occasional weekend wheeling trip

Currie Enterprises - Currie H.D. Steering

Stock Type H.D. replacement constructed from 1.25" Diamater Chromoly Tube. This Kit retails for $399.

Layout

On Rig

Rock Krawler - XJ Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade

Stock Type H.D. replacement. Comes with New 1.5" H.D. Tie Rod and 1.25" H.D. Drag Link. This Kit retails for $299

On Rig

Posion Spider Customs - PSC H.D. Steering CLOSED

Stock Type H.D. replacement. Comes with New H.D. Tie Rod constructed from 1.5" DOM Tube. Uses Stock Drag link with a H.D. Sleeve and weld on gusset. This Kit retails for $259.

Layout

On Rig

Rusty's Offroad - Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion

Stock Type H.D. replacement constructed from Zinc Plated 1" DOM Tube. This Kit retails for $240

Layout

On Rig

These are all of the options for a Complete Bolt On Steering Kit for the XJ Dana 30. Some of these kits require modification to the Trac Bar and/or Sway Bar Axle Brackets. All of the kits in themselves are essentially bolt on, but keep in mind, that with everything, some modification might be required.

Other Options worth mentioning that do not fit the above criteria are as follows:

WJ Conversion - Uses a WJ Pasenger side knuckle which is similar to a Tera High Steer Knuckle. The conversion requires the use of some WJ braking components such as rotors and calipers. No complete kit is currently available for this conversion. Although most "fab" parts can be had from JKS Manufacturing. Check this page out for more info

JKS Manufacturing

JCR Offroad has a Inverted-T 1 Ton Steering setup. Take a look at their site for more info on this kit

JCR Offroad

M.O.R.E. or Mountain Off-Road Enterprises has a kit in the works. They might actually release it someday. Check out their web site for more information Seems this project was abandoned, only available for the YJ

Mountain Off-Road

If you see anything that needs to be corrected or know of a system that I have forgotten, please pm me. Also if you have a good picture for a kit that I have listed but do not both types of pictures for (Layout and On-Rig), I would appreciate the addition. Thanks

DJ K.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back