• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

revolver shackles

TRON

NAXJA Forum User
Thinking of throwing some of these (teraflex revolver shackles) in the rear and just wanted to find out if they will add any lift and how reliable they are?

I've heard too much negative feed back on these...try searching, I'm sure you'll get lots of information.

Matt

I thought about trying some out awhile back, but after some research on here and other sites I got talked out off them.

they do not offer any noticable lift, I read somewhere it is like a 1/8 to 1/4". But they do offer lots of droop and flex. I have never heard any reliablity complaints, just watch drive line angles and brake line lengh, revolvers love to droop.

I've read of them causing problems on hill climbs or something like that where they can aid in causing a rollover. No first or even second hand experience on my part though.

thanks for the feedback, I just assumed they would be the way to go with saving some of the stress applied on the leafs. Ill search some past post tho thanks.

I talked to M.O.R.E. and they recommend aginst them (and they invented them) and said buggy spring are a better way to go.

Wrong.... MORE did not invent them. They were originally made by Metal Made Right in Montana or Wyoming.. I have a set of first generation in my XJ from MMR... Before Tera purchased the manf rights... I have them in my rig for the last 7 years and no roll overs... The big thing people miss inform about them is that they are not set up right... The bump stop is ultra-improtant to the proper set up of revolvers, and yes they are supposed to add NO lift... They work great for allowing extra droop, the highway manners are good as long as you don't drive like a fool. Just my .02 worth... Try some before you knock them next time...

My XJ is only sitting on 32's with about 4.5" of lift, I want to say the Tera version gave my about .75" of lift. I have had my Tera set for about 3-4 years and haven't experienced any negative side effects at least that I am aware of! ;)

Never heard of an issue with these going uphill... Going downhill is one area that could potentially cause the rear axle to unload from the rest of the body. But with limiting straps or short shock absorbers this side effect can be negated.

On an off camber situation I have heard that the rear axle unload could occur. I have been off camber and although I hate it, I haven't experienced it myself, but I do have bump stops that actually function.

The last complaint has to do with slamming on the brakes on the road or swerving to avoid an accident. Once again I haven't had an issue in either regards, but I don't drive around like I own a Porsche.

So I am not saying that these complaints aren't real, I am just saying that they aren't as bad as you might be lead to believe. This isn't anymore different than getting an 8" lift and having the higher COG increasing your chances that you might roll your XJ.

MGrobe said:
My XJ is only sitting on 32's with about 4.5" of lift, I want to say the Tera version gave my about .75" of lift. I have had my Tera set for about 3-4 years and haven't experienced any negative side effects at least that I am aware of! ;)

Never heard of an issue with these going uphill... Going downhill is one area that could potentially cause the rear axle to unload from the rest of the body. But with limiting straps or short shock absorbers this side effect can be negated.

On an off camber situation I have heard that the rear axle unload could occur. I have been off camber and although I hate it, I haven't experienced it myself, but I do have bump stops that actually function.

The last complaint has to do with slamming on the brakes on the road or swerving to avoid an accident. Once again I haven't had an issue in either regards, but I don't drive around like I own a Porsche.

So I am not saying that these complaints aren't real, I am just saying that they aren't as bad as you might be lead to believe. This isn't anymore different than getting an 8" lift and having the higher COG increasing your chances that you might roll your XJ.

It still amazes me on all the I heard or abuddy of a buddy of my crandmothers second cousin......................I too used to run the MMR units....and no MORE never had anything to do with them.........The terraflex units come in several different designs one that gives no lift and one that gives a 1.5" lift.

I was able years abo to do some testing on a closed course at speed both before and after install, there was no difference in time or feel. I did panic stops with no ill effects even fast lane changes with no problems....

I ran the units for 3 years and they do provide better droop (not as much as advertised) and less stress on the springs. Never had any ill handling effects.

The only time that I ever had any hint of a problem was in this lil video. and that might have been because I did not have on my rear locker during the attempt. It appeared to me that during the attempt the rear wheels dropped into an undercut and the revolvers appeared to push into the frame and attempt to open up.

Would I use em again? YES

The only thing that I would do is place a limiting strap in the middle of the axle to control both shackles from openning up at a time.

http://f1.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/xjnation/lst?.dir=/vids&.view=l

its the brian on smasher canyon video

MORE is not MMR.

Nor vice-versa.

CRASH

Another much cheaper option,scissor shackles made from stockers,costs me about $50 and worked great.
s1.jpg

s2.jpg

I had some on a Toyota a while back--I heard all the same complaints from people who didn't use them. I liked them a lot, especially with IFS. It was good to have that extra droop in the back before the truck tipped. I've never met anyone with them on their vehicle that had much to complain about. I think the greatest value is the pivot which saves your springs.

thigh19 said:
I talked to M.O.R.E. and they recommend aginst them (and they invented them) and said buggy spring are a better way to go.

DOOD for the last and final time.....Metal Made Rite made the original revolvers and sold the rights to terraflex..............M.O.R.E has never had anything to do with them if someone told you they did they are on crack :lecture:

xjnation said:
DOOD for the last and final time.....Metal Made Rite made the original revolvers and sold the rights to terraflex..............M.O.R.E has never had anything to do with them if someone told you they did they are on crack :lecture:
X2!!! I remember talking to those guys in Vernal at an A.R.C.A event right before they sold them to Tera. It was Metal Made Rite. NOT Mountain Off Road Enterprizes.

MORE is totaly different cat.

Back