• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

revolver shackles

I have had them on my Jeep for about two years now. I have not had any ill effects with my rig. If I could do it over again I would definetly get them again. Like they said you need to set up your suspension to work with them. I personally need longer shocks for mine to open up all the way but have not done it becuse with the shorter shocks I have a built in limiting strap.

So if you are thinnking about it I say go for it. Just remeber that you need to set up your rig to handle them.

Ray

T&A-XJ said:
Long arms unload, Revolvers unload, set up your suspension correctly and neither will. A center limiting strap will do wonders;)

here here

Since there are a few people here with real world experience...Would anyone know why mine dont open all the way? I mean they barely open at all. And Ive tried with the rear shocks removed. And I have an 8" Skyjacker if that helps.

mmarriottxj said:
Since there are a few people here with real world experience...Would anyone know why mine dont open all the way? I mean they barely open at all. And Ive tried with the rear shocks removed. And I have an 8" Skyjacker if that helps.

to get mine to open up all the way I had to remove the ebrake cables and replace them with MUCH longer ones, had em custom made.....

mmarriottxj said:
Ok, I was told that my drive shaft was too long....

well I dont think that would have anythign to do with the droop but you can always test it by taking out the DS and checking the flex...If you still have the stock ebrake cables in it at 8" and revlovers.........the cables re maxxed out before the revolvers try to open

Actually you can use the passanger side 8.25 as well. But it only works if you have one of the newer XJs. I have 2 passanger sides on mine and no problem. Just something else to consider.

As to why the Revolvers do not open up all the way w/ 8" lift could be the spring pack. If the pack is too stiff it will not want to flex as much. I mean as you go up in lift heighth the arch of your springs is greater and there fore there is less flx in them. You may find that a 6" lift will flex out better than a 8" lift just because of the spring arch. So you may need to get a softer spring pack in order to get them to open up more.
Another thing to check is the leaf spring retaining clip bolt. That can hit on the exhuast and not allow as much movement. When mine flexes I can hear it pop as it drops below it and it will pop as it goes back into place. Just a few suggestions for you.

Ray

mmarriottxj said:

I also doubt that your DS is too long but its 'possible' more like the yokes binding.... If your ebrake cables ect. aren't limiting travel, bump stops might(will) help. Bump stops give a leverage point to help push the other side down.

I have no experience with Skyjacker leafs but if they are designed overly stiff to prevent axle wrap that could also be the problem. Axle wrap is needed to droop one side and compress the other on a leaf sprung suspension, especially with Revolvers.

mmarriottxj said:
Ok, I was told that my drive shaft was too long....
Here I go digging up an older thread....

It's a fact that the driveshaft being too long or not having enough travel will and can be one of the factors that limit droop with Revolvers. With the Revolvers, when the axle drops it also moves forward, it can only move forward as much as the available travel in the DS will allow. My DS was bottoming out before the Revolver was opening.

I've had revolvers on my XJ for 6 years, this is personal experience. I didn't hear it from my cousin's friend's drunk neighbor whose brother heard about them...

Back