• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

low and large, what's the record

JJacobs

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm puttering along on my xj buggy and need to figger out what front lift height to run. Last year's ride had 40's on about 7 inches of lift, but it had rear sheetmetal, this one doesn't. Obviously the lower the better. (in my little world :)) I'm either running 37's or 39's. Think 6" will work with major bumpstops? Anyone come up with a good tire slider mod for the front inner fenders?

run wider axles that way the tires are outside the sheetmetal :dunce: :conceited

gawrsh, really? :huh: c'mon Led, you know the deal- sheetmetal contact is still an issue.

you really need to change your sig, the short bus is not r.i.p. yet, in fact I think the front is still going to be the same yellow.

GottabeJeep runs 37's on the re 5.5" lift with 6" of bumpstops in the front, which doesn't leave for too much flexing. I think you could probably pull off bigger tires if you are ballzy/creative enough. You'll just need LOTS of bumpstops in the front, or just no front fenders if that's cool with you. Then you really don't need to worry about rubbing....ever

Start cutting and GIT R' DONE!! Then post pics.---Kyle

I'm rockin about 3" lift w/ 36's and MJ bumpstops (solid rubber and maybe an inch longer than stock)

just hammer the livin fawk outta everything under there.

my driver's side floor is bashed in so far that I had to cut the outside edge off the brake pedal to regain full pedal travel...

DSC01459.JPG

be mindful of where your axle is placed and the change in wheelbase while flexed. you gotta set up the suspension so that the tire is centered in the wheelwell when stuffed.

(and that MJ behind it is stock height on 33s... that's also mine :D )

JJacobs said:
So I'm puttering along on my xj buggy and need to figger out what front lift height to run. Last year's ride had 40's on about 7 inches of lift, but it had rear sheetmetal, this one doesn't. Obviously the lower the better. (in my little world :)) I'm either running 37's or 39's. Think 6" will work with major bumpstops? Anyone come up with a good tire slider mod for the front inner fenders?

I think 6" will work with major bumpstops......with 37's. As you know, the tire will hit the inside wheel well, not the fender. In front it will hit the corner that's below the battery on one side and the air box on the other, but you can make three cuts in that corner, along the bends, then fold it over and weld it back together to gain quite a bit of room. It will also hit the fender bracing, but that can be removed. In the back it will hit the (already folded over) pinch seam. Not much way to get around that other than to beat it back with a hammer, like someone above posted. I haven't done that, so don't know what it would do, but I don't like modifying the foot box much. Trim a bunch in front, and move the axle forward some to give more room in the rear. Seems hitting the pinch seam in the rear is the limiting factor.

Bumpstops, bumpstops, bumpstops.........unless you like up travel. Sometimes I wonder about the best compromise between uptravel and a low center of gravity/low lift height........both add to stability. For fast runs to and from the trail, though, up travel is your friend.

When you coming out to the SW desert? :)

CheapXJ said:
I'm rockin about 3" lift w/ 36's and MJ bumpstops (solid rubber and maybe an inch longer than stock)

just hammer the livin fawk outta everything under there.

my driver's side floor is bashed in so far that I had to cut the outside edge off the brake pedal to regain full pedal travel...

DSC01459.JPG

be mindful of where your axle is placed and the change in wheelbase while flexed. you gotta set up the suspension so that the tire is centered in the wheelwell when stuffed.

(and that MJ behind it is stock height on 33s... that's also mine :D )

im drunk and those are some bigass leaves on that tree overhead

Moving the axle forward helps a bit. I'm at 7" with 38" with room to spare. Since the old short bus is really short now, I bet you can squeeze in the 39's at 6" with bumpstops. Just don't try to keep up with the California boys and their high speed antics. The ride may be rough with that little up travel.

JonK

While you're at it Jon, try and talk that BOR rig down an inch.....or 4.
As others have stated, 6" and trimming for the big rubber makes a good balance on the XJ platform for the wheeling we do out here.

XJEEPER said:
While you're at it Jon, try and talk that BOR rig down an inch.....or 4.
As others have stated, 6" and trimming for the big rubber makes a good balance on the XJ platform for the wheeling we do out here.

I asked JohnJohn about it before he left.... Moab has a beautiful way of showing people the light. :)

-Jon

So when are you going to get a few beers into you and cut off the top :anon:

I got a can of black spray paint for the spots.

who gave me the negative points? :rolleyes:

small pederson said:
who gave me the negative points? :rolleyes:
there you go, just for fun...

Nov 2003, Mine was on 37s and was very low, like 4.5-5in lift range.. My rear was just a 2in block, and a sagged AAL, but the larger axle tube and spring perch provided some added lift..

download.php

It sucked once I got in the rocks. All the other guys setup to do 4.5+ trails they would breeze through a rock field, I would be SO LOUD hitting, and banging my skids on every rock, and getting hung up on my belly and sliders.

My rule of thum used to be keep it as low as you can, but that is not always the case.

This year I built it to have an adjustable ride height, 0-16in. stable, wont get stuck cuase its too low, and loads of fun.
download.php

download.php

XJ_ranger said:
there you go, just for fun...

thanks ranger, im just here to have fun party1:

Back