NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > Modified Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old August 30th, 2004, 16:26
NAXJA Forum User

Tube bending tips/tricks??

I just picked up a new NE5 tubing bender (the upgraded version of the Model 3 bender), and an 1.5", 5.5 CLR die, from MTech supply in Mesa. WooHoo

I plan on building a 6 or 8-point internal cage for my new 88 XJ project. I am confident in my fabrication skills, as I've built my own steering, suspension and pretty much everything else on the 2 XJ's I've owned, as well as all the welding on FlexyJoes rockkrawler coilover kit, and numerous little jobs for friends.

The problem is I've never touched, or even seen a bender in action before.

I'm pretty sure I know what I want the end result to look like (placement of spreaders, etc...), and I'm pretty sure I know what I need to do to build a safe roll cage (lots of trianglation, mounting points, etc...).

What I'm looking for is any tips or tricks anyone might have for me about measuring, bending, cutting or notching, or any other info that might be helpful to me, or others who may be looking to do the same thing. With the cost of steel these days, I'd like to keep waste to a minimum.

Thanks,

Rick
Old August 30th, 2004, 16:30
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Tube bending tips/tricks??

Bendin' Tube 101 from Pirate4x4
I've never bent tube either, but I came across this a long time ago. Hope it helps.
Old August 30th, 2004, 16:32
NAXJA Forum User

JD2's directions are also good!Mines set-up if you just want to play!Measure 20 times,cut once,bend once!!!!!!Also get a piece of "Uni-strut" and tube clamp to set your angle finder on.
BTW,if you bought the manual model your gonna need something real stout to anchor it to!
http://www.jd2.com/Help.htm

Last edited by RCP Phx; August 30th, 2004 at 16:59.
Old August 30th, 2004, 16:38
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj92
Bendin' Tube 101 from Pirate4x4
I've never bent tube either, but I came across this a long time ago. Hope it helps.
I use this method exculsively. Works like a champ!

Dan
Old August 30th, 2004, 16:48
NAXJA Member

Rick,

Best thing for you to do is bring that bender to Texas and let me keep it for you!

hinkley
Old August 30th, 2004, 20:38
NAXJA Forum User

the pirate method is all right at most in my opinion, but a great way to start.

Get a degree ring for the bender...the make shift angle finder they use is just on eye sight, and a degree ring will make it that much easier and accurate.

I did that method for one of my hoops, and just found it to be a pain. I found the whole layout worthless, and stopped going to it.

I just lay it out on paper, and do my calculations there, check my calcs with measurements again and throw it in the bender when everything matches correctly. As long as you measure correctly and know what calculations to make (basic trigonometry most of the times, 3d bends will take a little heavier trig, but still not hard), you will be fine without laying anything out on the ground.

The only thing worthwhile to me is pirate's first step....knowing how much room it takes to complete a bend.

Once you work with it, you will make up your own method quicker than you think.
Old August 30th, 2004, 20:59
NAXJA Forum User

Maybe you could practice on fence railing. It's cheap and expendable.
Old August 30th, 2004, 21:17
NAXJA Forum User

If you ask me....this whole post is just :next:

And None of the welds have broken on my junk either..... I do think that If he were to give the bender to hinkley, he should be able to use all of his tools/ equipment whenever needed......
\

Joe
Old August 31st, 2004, 11:57
NAXJA Member

I used the Bending Tube 101 instructions for all of my cage and bumber. That system worked very well, and a degree wheel is not needed. A couple of adjustable stands are important, and a level, to keep the tubing level to make the second and third bends. The homemade angle finder that the instructions say to use works very well. You have to get used to the tube springing back a small amount, but the adjustable angle tool does the job.

Have fun. You gonna be ready for Nov?
Thanks to , Falken Tires, Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines, Ten Factory Axles, Brown Dog, Hooker Harness, BILSTEIN, Raceline Wheels, WARN, G&G Auto Repair/Off Road, Yukon Gear and Axle, Full Traction, Cal, Russ, James, and many, many others.
Old August 31st, 2004, 12:32
NAXJA Forum User

Hey Rick, what do you think the chances are of me coming over and watching/helping/whatever. I'd like to learn alittle before I get a bender. I'll bring the beer. I'm the guy that rode with Joe on axle alley when you guys had your old rigs.
James
Old August 31st, 2004, 13:18
www.urfracing.com

URF uses the Bending 101 method as well.
I think the most important thing to do is think. Think which way you're bending and when you remove a work piece from the bender remember how it was oriented. That way, when you're ready to do somemore bending on it you reinsert it the right way. I messed up a couple tubes by reinserting the work piece backwards in the bender.
Old August 31st, 2004, 13:26
NAXJA Forum User

As far as the notching goes, Mtech Supply has a notcher that notches from
0-60 degrees for $180.00. Harbor Freight has one that notches from 0-60 degrees for $40.00 and then there is the Tube Coping Calculator (free).
If you use the calculator you enter in the sizes and the degree you want and then print the drawing out and wrap it around the tube.
Tube Coping Calculator
Old August 31st, 2004, 17:48
NAXJA Member

Like Jes said, go slow and think. Be sure to put arrows on the tube you're bending to show the direction of the bend before you start......VERY IMPORTANT! The chalk drawing on the floor and the hand made angle tool is all you need.

If you're going to get a notcher, spend the money for a good one or don't bother. I broke the Harbor Freight one I got, and couldn't replace the part, so I had to buy another one. A big waste of money for two cheap notchers that I ended up not even using. Careful cuts and some grinding will get the notching done.
Thanks to , Falken Tires, Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines, Ten Factory Axles, Brown Dog, Hooker Harness, BILSTEIN, Raceline Wheels, WARN, G&G Auto Repair/Off Road, Yukon Gear and Axle, Full Traction, Cal, Russ, James, and many, many others.
Old August 31st, 2004, 20:28
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hinkley
Rick,

Best thing for you to do is bring that bender to Texas and let me keep it for you!

hinkley
Wouldn't it be better for you to hop in that fancy house on wheels, drive to Phoenix, and give me the privilege of watching the master fabricator in action??? I could probably get Joe to show you around the town in your spare time here......

Thanks for all your tips everybody, I do appreciate it.

I was thinking of getting the harbor freight notcher, but I'm glad I didn't after reading Richard's reply. I guess I'm just gonna do it the old-fashioned way.

If I can get everything together this week, I may get started this weekend. One of my wheelin buddys is an electrician with a ton of conduit bending experience. He's gonna help, along with Joe.....it could be interesting......

I'll definetely be ready for JV in November.

Rick
Old August 31st, 2004, 22:01
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick XTRM XJ
Wouldn't it be better for you to hop in that fancy house on wheels, drive to Phoenix, and give me the privilege of watching the master fabricator in action??? I could probably get Joe to show you around the town in your spare time here......

Thanks for all your tips everybody, I do appreciate it.

I was thinking of getting the harbor freight notcher, but I'm glad I didn't after reading Richard's reply. I guess I'm just gonna do it the old-fashioned way.

If I can get everything together this week, I may get started this weekend. One of my wheelin buddys is an electrician with a ton of conduit bending experience. He's gonna help, along with Joe.....it could be interesting......

I'll definetely be ready for JV in November.

Rick

Rolling house on wheels......nice...funny too....

Joe