• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how much do I need to cut of my fenders for 33's???

BPB

NAXJA Forum User
How much fender trimming will I need to do to fit 33 12.50's on with a 3" lift??? will I have to do welding on my inner fenders? will it look ok?

Actually, I doubt many are running 33's with 3" of lift. And the few who may be doing it maybe don't post here or haven't happened to look here in the last 18 hours.

Patience, my man, this is the weekend, and it's Mothers Day......slow time for web forums.

It would be a good setup. I run 3.5inch lift with 1inch spacer and shackle so 4.5inch. I would like to run 35's with my setup but am wearing down the 33's first. When you take the flares off the front there is a little lip that sticks out, just follow that around and cut it off. On the rear there will also be a lip but there are welds on it that you don't want to cut above. Here are a couple pictures:

dec1.jpg

dec2.jpg

dec3.jpg

Oh hey Kraziexj, how do you like those timberline tires? Bigpimpinben, my friend runs 32's on 15x8's on a 3" lifted '00, he had rub with the stock fenders. So he put bushwackers on.With those and a 3" lift you could use 33's easy. But, now his 32's look tiny, I'd say Just buy the lift and tires, and then just test it out and cut as you need to, but dont do it all at once, and especially not before you have all the stuff put on your jeep, cause obviously you dont want to make your new tires look small already, like my friend. Ha, but good luck with that.

YAY ME ME! I run 33s with a 3" lift rustys kit. I just put sone TJ flares on there and I only get some "custom siping" when I goto full lock at full flex. Also I have wheels that are 15X10s and have like 2.75" of backspacing. I LOVE this setup. Hope this helps. I will answer any questions you hav about it.

I run 33 BFG's with a old sagging 4" lift. How much do you need to trim?? Just till it stops rubbing hard.

I took off about 2 inches front and rear.

Rev

what does the backspacing do??? the wheels that I am picking up on tuesday have 4.5 inch back spacing, does that mean that they will stick out like a beaner-mobile??

NO quite the opposite. Mine stick out like a ricer.. but the fact that you ahve 33s really just makes your Jeep have a more agressove look. I doubt you will be able to run 33s with 4.5" bs on a wheel. YOu really will rub like shi.t

4.5" backspacing is the ideal amount for an XJ. That is enough to clear the larger tire on the inside but not stick out far enough to cause more clearance problems on the inside. In most cases, 4.75" to 4.5" is the best XJ backspacing for larger tires.

slujeeper5 said:
Oh hey Kraziexj, how do you like those timberline tires? Bigpimpinben, my friend runs 32's on 15x8's on a 3" lifted '00, he had rub with the stock fenders. So he put bushwackers on.With those and a 3" lift you could use 33's easy. But, now his 32's look tiny, I'd say Just buy the lift and tires, and then just test it out and cut as you need to, but dont do it all at once, and especially not before you have all the stuff put on your jeep, cause obviously you dont want to make your new tires look small already, like my friend. Ha, but good luck with that.

The timberline mt's have been a great tire for me so far. I have no complaints. I run 3.75 inches of backspacing on a 15x8 wheel with a 33x12.5 tire. I can barely rub the control arms at full lock and the tires still stuff great. If i could do it over again though, i would get some wheels with 3.25inch backspacing to get a little wider and lower the center of gravity a bit more.

Goatman said:
4.5" backspacing is the ideal amount for an XJ. That is enough to clear the larger tire on the inside but not stick out far enough to cause more clearance problems on the inside. In most cases, 4.75" to 4.5" is the best XJ backspacing for larger tires.

That is true.. and you being who you are I hope to say respectfully that I disagree. Since the wheel-well tapers in, the 33s with a 3" lift have less room at full lock. Trust me. I painted my federwells to find my rub patterns and I really believe he cant run a 33 with 4.5" bs wheels. MIne rub and stick out about as far as that guy on this thread with 4.5" abd 33s.

I can't count how many of these threads I've responded to now, but I run 285's (33x11.5) on 16x8 rims with 4.25" bs on a 3.5" lift with no rubbing on the LCA's and minimal to no rubbing on the fenders. I trimmed the backs just like everybody else who hasn't cut the seam and trimmed all the folds off the front.

It really depends on how you use you XJ. I have 4.5-4.75" of lift 33x12.5 Super swampers on AR 767's 3.75 bs and had to trim the front a lot. I will be putting on TJ flares when I upgrade the wife's TJ to BW flares but for now all I have done is draw a line where the flare was on the vehicle and cut it off. For the front wheel well I still have the factory flare attached. I cut it just above the bumper and behind the front tire I cut right where the body flares out. I haven't trimmed the rear flares yet but I will be real soon. However I haven't actually had mine offroad yet(all my buddies are in Iraq) to see where all it will rub. I have some pics(of others not mine) if you want them, email me and I'll send them to you. I don't have the time to set up a sight to host pics. HTH DuG

XJeeper05 said:
That is true.. and you being who you are I hope to say respectfully that I disagree. Since the wheel-well tapers in, the 33s with a 3" lift have less room at full lock. Trust me. I painted my federwells to find my rub patterns and I really believe he cant run a 33 with 4.5" bs wheels. MIne rub and stick out about as far as that guy on this thread with 4.5" abd 33s.

It might make a difference with only 3" of lift, but I don't think so. We've been talking about this for many years......my current XJ was lifted, locked and built 9 years ago.....and 4.5" to 4.75" BS has always been the agreed optimum BS......trust me. ;) :)

I ran 33's with 4.75" BS for many years. A wider stance (less backspacing) is fine, it just means trimming a little more. That BS has been the best balance between clearing on the inside and minimum trimming on the outside. Bottom line......trim enough to get the job done. It is nice that the emphasis has gradually changed from lifting enough to clear bigger tires to trimming enough to clear bigger tires......less lift provides better climbing and stability.

Back