NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old August 28th, 2017, 23:46
NAXJA Forum User

Ball joint?

I have been getting a clunk under the driver side floor board when turning, primarily when turning slow. Axle u joints are new. Tie rod and all pretty new. I assume it's ball the joint.

How likely can I see movement when it's jacked up and I use a pry bar between the knuckle and gusset?
Old August 29th, 2017, 07:13
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Ball joint?

the track bar is connected to the frame rail in the engine bay. and when it goes bad it will clunk when you turn. the rail runs about center down the floor on the drivers side. its pretty easy to check with some help. just have someone slowly turn the wheel and watch the track bar for movement left and right.
Old August 29th, 2017, 07:48
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4JeePmaNthINg View Post
I have been getting a clunk under the driver side floor board when turning, primarily when turning slow. Axle u joints are new. Tie rod and all pretty new. I assume it's ball the joint.

How likely can I see movement when it's jacked up and I use a pry bar between the knuckle and gusset?
Yeah between the knuckle and axle C. The lower is a real ball joint and there shouldn't be any movement there. The upper is spring loaded pin that goes up and down to absorb shocks while driving and slop in the lower. Don't use cheap Auto Zone type parts as they are over sized and will enlarge the bores in the axle C. If you find any slop probably do all 4. I'd go with Spicer kits. They cost about $125 for all 4 and last a long time.
Old August 29th, 2017, 18:14
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90xj06 View Post
the track bar is connected to the frame rail in the engine bay. and when it goes bad it will clunk when you turn. the rail runs about center down the floor on the drivers side. its pretty easy to check with some help. just have someone slowly turn the wheel and watch the track bar for movement left and right.
i have an RE adjustable trac bar re1600 i think, do you think itll still pop? good call on the idea though, i hadnt thought of it as an option.
Old August 29th, 2017, 19:41
NAXJA Member 4950

Quote:
Originally Posted by md21722 View Post
Don't use cheap Auto Zone type parts as they are over sized and will enlarge the bores in the axle C.
Don't know about your Autozone but the ones around me, all their ball joints are re branded Moog.
I think whats causing the enlarged bore in the C's is driving the ball joint sideways because they don't want to use the correct tool adapter.
Old August 29th, 2017, 20:03
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green XJ Jeep View Post
Don't know about your Autozone but the ones around me, all their ball joints are re branded Moog.
I think whats causing the enlarged bore in the C's is driving the ball joint sideways because they don't want to use the correct tool adapter.
When I was dealing with this problem on a Jeep that was dropped off for some work, I got every ball joint NAPA sold and none were as large as the one that came out. Spicers would just spin. And the old ball joint wasn't splined either. I have used MOOG ball joints in the past and replaced them with Spicers and never had a problem.
Old August 30th, 2017, 07:35
NAXJA Member 4950

Moog has a problem solver line of ball joints that have a slightly over size housing.
Sound like the parts monkey sold the wrong part. Should have been noticeable on installation
Old August 30th, 2017, 13:01
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green XJ Jeep View Post
Moog has a problem solver line of ball joints that have a slightly over size housing.
Sound like the parts monkey sold the wrong part. Should have been noticeable on installation
It's cheap parts other have had the same problem.
Old August 31st, 2017, 00:32
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90xj06 View Post
thinking this might be the issue, canyon road down left turn to right it was a consistent clunk. new tb end needed maybe.
Old August 31st, 2017, 13:17
NAXJA Forum User

My moog joints (From AZ) went in just fine. splined and fit perfectly
Old August 31st, 2017, 21:25
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by md21722 View Post
Yeah between the knuckle and axle C. The lower is a real ball joint and there shouldn't be any movement there. The upper is spring loaded pin that goes up and down to absorb shocks while driving and slop in the lower. Don't use cheap Auto Zone type parts as they are over sized and will enlarge the bores in the axle C. If you find any slop probably do all 4. I'd go with Spicer kits. They cost about $125 for all 4 and last a long time.
md21722-Do you have a Part # for that set of all four Spicer balljoints?
Old September 1st, 2017, 07:16
NAXJA Member

Spicer 706944X. One kit per side, so buy 2 to get all 4.
Old September 1st, 2017, 15:43
NAXJA Member #920

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4JeePmaNthINg View Post
i have an RE adjustable trac bar re1600 i think, do you think itll still pop? good call on the idea though, i hadnt thought of it as an option.
Even if the bar itself is good, the hole where it mounts to on the frame bracket can wallow out and allow the bolt to move around in the hole, causing that sort of pop as well - it's happened to me a couple times.