• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NEW TO LIFT GAME..

98REDXJ2

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I'm buying a 98 red Cherokee tomorrow. it will be my second Cherokee.

right now it has about a 2inch lift. i haven't looked to see exactly how it was lifted, spacer, add a leaf, shackle etc. ill find out tomorrow.

in a few months i want to go to a maximum of about 4.5-5in lift.

I'm looking to get this lift, the 4.5in Rubicon express super ride
153nst4.jpg

other than the parts in the pic, what else should i be installing when going 4.5in?

FYI. I'm pretty well mechanically inclined. I've always done my own work on my trucks and jeeps.

If you're shooting for a true 4.5" over stock, add these

http://www.hdoffroadengineering.com/products/xj-shackle-relocation-kit

and these

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Jeep/XJ/Product.aspx?folder=XJCA&part=RE9900
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Jeep/XJ/Product.aspx?folder=XJCA&part=RE9905

or

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_control_arm_drop.html

to the list. Your spine, and your passengers will thank you. I'd also look into some front brake lines at that height too. Stock may work, but mine were completely stretched at full lock/stuffed. Adjustable control arms aren't needed, but they do make alignments a lot easier and allow you to fine tune your pinion angle/caster. Just another thing to consider.

i would definantly add:
front brake lines
adjustable track bar
transfer case drop

i would also consider:
adjustable uppers (stock will work fine, but as danman said, its nice to help dial in castor)
SYE/degree shims
shackle relocation brackets
control arm drop brackets

i have the RE 4.5" super flex kit. since buying it, i have added:
SYE
double sheer track bar bracket

its nice, but id also like to add the shackle relocation brackets, and control arm drop brackets.

^x2 on what they both said. also depending on what size tires your going with, 31's are usually ok with stock gearing and axles, but if your thinking about going bigger such as 33
's you want to look into regearing and or lockers. And with bigger tires, most people recommend alittle beefier steering as well. mostly depends on what everyones budget is too.

Thanks guys. well i plan to get the lift with the control arm drop brackets on first. then add the other necessary parts one at a time depending on what my extra cash will allow me.

ill definitely be referring back to this info. thanks a lot.

New bushings for the stuff that's not getting replaced..

Falls under the "While I'm here" category..

You will need to get longer shocks. Would greatly recommend going with longer front brake hoses and adjustable track bar at the SAME time as the lift. Should look into adjustable UCA's or drop brackets. Also, as stated already if you plan to go with anything larger than a 31 then I would look into gears as well, would recommend gears for 31's too but stock will suffice for the time being.

Thanks guys. well i plan to get the lift with the control arm drop brackets on first. then add the other necessary parts one at a time depending on what my extra cash will allow me.

ill definitely be referring back to this info. thanks a lot.
id recomend the adjustable track bar before the drop brackets.
also doesn't a transfer-case drop change the angle the engine sits? thats just what id assume. that doesn't affect anything?
it does... which is why a lot of people who do Tcase drops find themselves replacing engine mounts shortly down the road.

You will need to get longer shocks. Would greatly recommend going with longer front brake hoses and adjustable track bar at the SAME time as the lift. Should look into adjustable UCA's or drop brackets. Also, as stated already if you plan to go with anything larger than a 31 then I would look into gears as well, would recommend gears for 31's too but stock will suffice for the time being.
cant believe i forgot shocks. :doh:

If you really research most of the less expensive kits are not as complete as others. Brakelines adjustable trac bar,upper and lower arms, etc. When it comes to lifts you get what you pay for. I have a RC 4.5 lift. It worked for the budget at the time. But I will upgrade it as the wallet allows me. The way I see it I kinda wasted 500 bucks.

Oh man I totally overlooked the trackbar. Honestly, I'd buy that before anything else. You can run a beefy trackbar at 2", but going the other way, a stock trackbar at 4.5" is pretty hokey.

FWIW I will never again buy a "kit" lift. Theyre never totally complete, you don't get what you want, and you always end up replacing certain components.

bleh... =/ i need to figure out what would be best for me to start out with? like a 3.5 or 4.5 kit thats not over like 700... but includes a decent amount of parts i should have

dont factor out used parts. people are upgrading all the time.

check your local chapter.

THIS!! I scored my original lift parts from a local wrecked jeep. Included: IRO trackbar and bracket, RE 3.5" super ride lower CA's and coils, OME rear leafs, shims, and an extended rear brake line. Snagged it all for $200.

From what I've seen NAC and SoCal seem to have the most classifieds activity, and a lot of guys are willing to ship on your dime.

At 3.5" there's no need to run drop brackets, and you really shouldn't. The arms won't be at the right angles. I'm at 5" exactly in the front, and my upper control arms are totally flat, if not inverted just a tiny bit.

THIS!! I scored my original lift parts from a local wrecked jeep. Included: IRO trackbar and bracket, RE 3.5" super ride lower CA's and coils, OME rear leafs, shims, and an extended rear brake line. Snagged it all for $200.

From what I've seen NAC and SoCal seem to have the most classifieds activity, and a lot of guys are willing to ship on your dime.

At 3.5" there's no need to run drop brackets, and you really shouldn't. The arms won't be at the right angles. I'm at 5" exactly in the front, and my upper control arms are totally flat, if not inverted just a tiny bit.

ok thanks thats like 200$ less for me to spend lol to use for something else haha. there was an old xj in a yard near me a year or so ago but im sure its been scrapped by now =/ im going to go check this weekend to find out i suppose! :D

also i found how what the current 2in lift was done up. spacers up front and shackles in back. REALLY not digging the spring curvature... either i need to put an aal soon or a small lift spring like a 2inch, anyone know of a good ride 2inch lift spring to purchase?

Back