• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dual battery set up in a cherokee?

chrisquested

NAXJA Forum User
So with running my winch, off road lights, upgraded head lights, sub, amp, cb radio,ect....I am thinking of doing a dual battery set up.

This is the thing i will be using to relocate the air filter.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/17006_7101_07.htm

Then if it is possible using these on in stock battery location and one where the air box use to be.

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...x-_p_1673.html

Then as far as conecting the two battery not sure on if i just run a positive and negitive from 1 to other or if i need a special set up to do this any detailed info would be great.

What are your thoughts?

You can't do it. The XJ wasn't intended to support that much weight on both sides of the radiator like that. The front crossmember will start to collapse in on itself, eventually crushing the cooling system and causing bad things to happen.

Better if you mount both batteries in back. 00 gauge welding cable back to front, and some terminals up front to connect them to your system and make for easy jump starting of the vehicle.

I tried this exact thing. My problem was when I hit the dirt, the bouncing around really made the sheet metal come apart throughout the engine bay. Luckily I caught it before too much damage was done, only needed new frame stiffeners up front and built a stronger bumper to act as a cross member.

Interesting... I had no clue it would start to fold the from end up. Good to know especially because I plan on doing some go fast stuff.

Wouldn't it be easier to just strengthen the sheet metal? Part of it is cuz I don't want to run wire to the back.1 for charging and 1 back to the front for the fuse block.

Thoughts?

You don't run all the way back to the back for charging. You install remote battery terminals under the hood - charging, fuses, winch, ecm etc hooks to those - and then plug them into the battery.

764-40106.jpg

Any idea of what guage wire is recommended to run from the terminals to the batteries?

And do you think it would fit along the doors in the trim?

To answer your question:

IMG_02551.jpg

Those are group size 31's. I ended up mounting them 90 degrees from the way they're oriented in the pic though. Here's where you need to trim:

IMG_02561.jpg

And:

IMG_02571.jpg

Of course if you just want to put one back there or use smaller batteries, the amount of trimming needed will be different. And I forgot what gauge I used, but I believe it was 1/0. I've been meaning to do a full write up but there are some odds and ends I need to finish including reinforcing the fender and coming up with a hold down. Long term, I want to include an entire electrical panel with charge indicators as well as a low voltage isolator and charge controller for solar panels and on board charger/maintainer.

how often are you running your winch, every light, blasting ur subs, and talking on the cb at the same time? I'd say just get a high output alternator and some thick gauge battery cables and call it a day...

If your using your winch I'd say you the most you should have running is your lights, theres other things you should be paying attention to while winching other then listening to music and chatting on the cb

how often are you running your winch, every light, blasting ur subs, and talking on the cb at the same time? I'd say just get a high output alternator and some thick gauge battery cables and call it a day...

If your using your winch I'd say you the most you should have running is your lights, theres other things you should be paying attention to while winching other then listening to music and chatting on the cb

This was allways my thinking. Tho I do like what you have done milford.

So just by having the factory alt, and a good size battery everything should be good?:doh:

So just by having the factory alt, and a good size battery everything should be good?:doh:

Did you not read what he said? He said a high output alternator not a factory alternator. The factory ones are usually 90/117 amps which leads to the problem we all have. You can swap in a 136A alt from a grand cherokee or the growing popularity of the 160A alternator from a 03+ durango. Just make sure that you upgrade your wiring and fuses to match the new system as the factory stuff isn't able to handle it at that point. Then you need to have a good deep cycle battery like optima's yellow tops or comparable models. There's numerous threads on here about upgrading the alternators, relocating them to a/c if it's unused, upgrading the battery wiring and stuff. The man to talk to for that which almost all on here would recommend would be 5-90 he can make cables and fuses for whatever you need for a good price.

I seem to recall the XJ's that came with the diesel back in the early model years had the battery on the left side where the airbox would be. You might have luck finding the tray for a mount and not have to custom fab anything.

also if you are worried about the cables, yank one out of any 3 series BMW in the junkyard from 1984-1999 (e30's and e36's) they will even have a fancy brass end factory attached

I have been using the factory alternator for years?

I've got a Sears Diehard Platinum battery, Warn XD9000 winch, two 600 watt amps I am pushing all the time, HID headlights and a pair of offroad lights.

Stock alternator has worked great for me.

flexy.jpg

Also using a stock alternator in our KOH race car.

4643.jpg

The alternator on that did fail on us racing last week. We swapped another stock one out of a friends XJ into it to race, and it will have a cheap Autozone stock replacement installed before our next race.

I don't see any need for a higher output alternator.

The reason for me going with the dual 31's is: camping. Obviously though, there are several other good reasons for it. It puts less strain on a single battery and the alternator when under high load (winching, transmitting, stereo, inverters, lights, etc.). But I like it for being able to run a fridge, listen to music, use lights, etc. without having to worry whether or not my battery will still be there when the time comes to pack up and leave.

They make electronic disconnects for dual battery use in boats. All the accessories are on one battery during discharge (saving the other for starting), but when the motor is running, both batteries get charged from the alternator. You probably could rig it with only the accessory battery in the back connected through the disconnect and some 0/0 cables for a quick change option without touching the factory battery mount location.

You can't do it. The XJ wasn't intended to support that much weight on both sides of the radiator like that. The front crossmember will start to collapse in on itself, eventually crushing the cooling system and causing bad things to happen.

Better if you mount both batteries in back. 00 gauge welding cable back to front, and some terminals up front to connect them to your system and make for easy jump starting of the vehicle.
Can you please explain this a little better? I'm not seeing how having two batteries up front would have any effect on the the front cross member.

Can you please explain this a little better? I'm not seeing how having two batteries up front would have any effect on the the front cross member.

I do agree with Scoobyxj. I have an Optima 34/78 on either side of the radiator ( one in the original battery location and the other where the air cleaner used to be) since 2006 and I have yet to see sign of bending or cracking. Then again, I have not been wheeling it very hard but I have driven several times on trips of over 1,200 miles one way or 1,000+ miles per week for months on end for work.

Please enlighten me as to what and where to look for failure/s.

I do agree with Scoobyxj. I have an Optima 34/78 on either side of the radiator ( one in the original battery location and the other where the air cleaner used to be) since 2006 and I have yet to see sign of bending or cracking. Then again, I have not been wheeling it very hard but I have driven several times on trips of over 1,200 miles one way or 1,000+ miles per week for months on end for work.

Please enlighten me as to what and where to look for failure/s.

I'm not seeing this either. I cant believe that our XJ's cant support two batteries in the front!

Maybe the JS guys would have issue due to the jumping they do but my heep never sees air under it

Back