• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-60 Socket

Boatwrench

NAXJA Forum User
A T-60 torx socket is needed to remove the oil filter base/adapter to replace the three troublesome O-rings. Due to the close proximity to the front uniframe generally the torx bit is driven out of the socket and then used with a wrench to loosen and then tighten the torx head bolt. So I was in the shop yesterday at the press (a BFH and Punch wasn't cuttin it) and of course this always attracts the attention of the mechanics. I explained the situation and one offered to let me borrow two of his T-60 sockets that were much shorter than my $37 Snap-On socket. As you can see in the photo below the socket on the far left is much shorter than the Snap-On socket. The middle socket is a tamper proof T-60. I took the sockets home last night, the shorter socket used with a breaker bar & cheater pipe did the trick. Once the torx head bolt was loose a stubby ratchet was used until the bolt could be removed with finger grip.

T-60.jpg

He did not recall where he picked up the shorter torx sockets. The markings on the shortest are:
CR-V T60
Made in Taiwan, but it worked.

I had to cut up a socket and used the bit in a ratcheting wrench with a pipe on it to get my filter adapter off. I kept the bit so I'll have it in the future but those sockets do look nice to have around for sure.

Looks like the ones I picked up from NAPA when I worked there years ago. Got a set of 8 torx sockets in a blow-molded case, all were marked Taiwan, but did not have NAPA stamped on them.

I had the same one Mike, finally snapped the tip off the T60 the other day. As far as I can tell we don't have the solid piece bits anymore, they're all the damned pressed in bits now

Looking through a tool flyer I had sitting here it looks like Lisle tools is still making the one piece torx bits.

I bought the set from Harbor Freight, pressed out the bit from the 1/2" surround, and then used a super long handle wrench on it with a pipe. Cheap, and was available in a bind.

Looking through a tool flyer I had sitting here it looks like Lisle tools is still making the one piece torx bits.

The Lisle is one piece, but I could only find it in 1/2" drive. It was just too tall once you factored in a 1/2" breaker bar or even one of those little adapters that let you use your sockets with an open end wrench. If it was available in 3/8", that might work.

The Lisle is one piece, but I could only find it in 1/2" drive. It was just too tall once you factored in a 1/2" breaker bar or even one of those little adapters that let you use your sockets with an open end wrench. If it was available in 3/8", that might work.

All three sockets in the photo are 3/8" drive.

All three sockets in the photo are 3/8" drive.

If only we could figure out which brand. That shorter one looks like the cheapy I picked up at Autozone. I think it was "Great Neck" or something?

I bought the Lisle bit. Ground two sides flat and used a wrench to turn it. Worked great.

Not a bad idea. Bet that would have worked well for me, not that mine was on there all that tight. I accidentally took mine off with a 3ft cheater bar, a 3/8" breaker bar, and a 3/8" Lisle T-55 bit... :shhh:

I'm making a trip to AutoZone tonight and will check with them, also Kragen-O'Rielly's is next door so I'll check there also.

don't bother with the Autozone bit, it's the Great Neck stuff which is about as strong as aluminum

I needed an odd ball socket recently and autozone was the only place open early in the morning so I grabbed the Great Neck brand. It actually seems like a solid socket to me and I tend to never use parts store tools or harbor freight junk.

It's not like the oil filter housing is on there that tight either so if you break any socket you may have bigger problems I think.

It's not like the oil filter housing is on there that tight either so if you break any socket you may have bigger problems I think.

every one I've taken off has been a real pain in the everything. it's not uncommon to have to use a 3 foot breaker bar to get the damn things off, you must be lucky.

I found a set at Pep Boys a while back that looked like this:

3416163401p

Came in a pack of roughly 6 or 8 (all the usual sizes plus the T60). The T60 was a lot longer than the picture above, so I cut it down to fit between the unibody and the bolt and threw a gearwrench with a floor jack handle around it. After turning the gearwrench into a funny Z-shaped gearwrench (and this wasn't the first time i've had my housing off for these stupid o-rings either), I got it off with a reagular wrench and the jack handle.

Back