• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rewiring passenger 12V socket to ignition

DonQuiXJote

NAXJA Forum User
Hi there, I recently got gifted one of those replacement sockets to convert the cigarette lighter into a double USB port. I'm fairly sure it's this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076D8CQYV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Stupidly easy install on the driver's side, but that would leave me with 2-USB socket wired to the ignition (driver), and a 12V socket (passenger) which is constantly on. The only reason this is a problem is because my FM transmitter (and seemingly every FM transmitter ever produced) plugs into a regular socket and not a USB. I don't want to have to yank my FM transmitter out every time I turn the car off, and I don't want to have the transmitter or the new USB socket on always on, draining the battery or burning the car to the ground while I'm asleep.

I'm fairly inexperienced w/r/t electrical work, but it seems like it should only be a matter of swapping the source for the passenger socket from the battery to the ignition like the driver's side, so I could install the USB socket on the passenger side and have it turn off with the ignition as well. Trouble is I've got no idea how to go about achieving that, and I can't find anyone who's done the swap online. Any help or advice is much appreciated!

Back