• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crazy afternoon.........

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
Isn’t it crazy how suddenly things can happen……..

So, I’ve just opened the garage door, dragging out a couple of floor jacks to do a front suspension inspection on the ZJ. I just start to jack up one side of the front axle when I hear some fairly loud banging/crunching noises coming from the neighbor-across-the-street-and-house-to-the-west’s garage. I’d seen her drive her Hyundai SUV into the garage just a minute earlier…..

I poke my head up to look in that direction and I then hear blood curling screams and a bunch of additional crunching/crashing noises.
My neighbor’s husband has a company cargo van he parks in the driveway and the van is blocking my view into the garage…… but a millisecond later I see the Hyundai come cruising down their driveway fairly quickly in reverse……… I then see that the driver’s front door is folded back against the front fender and the Hyundai was backing up without a driver, grinding against the van……. I then see the driver’s mirror of the van go flying off and up into the air as the Hyundai’s door busts it off.

The Hyundai comes out of the driveway at a bit of an angle having rubbed along the van and is now moving quickly across the street and now up onto the lawn between my neighbor’s house and mine…… putting the west corner of my house in it’s path.

I run flat out to the Hyundai and throw myself into the open driver’s doorway across the center console grabbing the gear lever and jamb it into park about 4 feet from it hitting the house………

The neighbor is now running with a notable limp from the driveway to the car. When she sees me come out of it as it stopped, she falls to the lawn in very obvious pain, grasping at both of her legs.

I ask her “Did the car get away from you? It was in reverse when I jumped into it.” She said “Yeah, I don’t know what happened, I pulled into the garage, backed up a bit and got out because one of the trash cans was in the way and it started rolling away…….. I tried to jump in it but got pinned between the van and door…… it ran over my legs and I got wedged in between the door and the van.”

I then ran over to the house to get her husband who apparently didn’t hear a thing. We did the first aid, first responder thing (my training kicking in I suppose) to ensure she was ok to be moved and then took her to the porch bench at her house. They argued about calling an ambulance, and not having a car to take her in as the van was full of stuff, hard to get into, etc….. Since we live less than a mile from a hospital, I told them just to take my ZJ and get her there.

This happened around 3:30pm and they got back home around 9:30pm. She has a broken right ankle, broken right tibia, sprained and bruised left ankle and lots of various bruises and scrapes to her pelvic and torso areas. I couldn’t believe she was moving like she was across the street after it happened……. Amazing what adrenaline can do despite injury…….. She was very thankful I was out there when it happened and was able to keep the car from crashing into the house. Heh heh…. So was I….

I’ve got some tender ribs along my right side from landing on the center console. Crazy.

:yelclap:

Damn. You're a bad ass Troy.

way to go starsky!

Good on ya Troy. I wish I had a neighbor like you. If anything like that happened to Steph while I was not around, she would have to fend for herself. My neighbors are like shut-ins, you never see anyone around except for some kids up the street on weekends.

Quarterly HOA news letter should read "Resident Jeep neighbor (the one who strips XJ's in front of his house off a trailer) saves home and women from Hyundai!!!

Good work Troy!!

I'm with Crunch, I don't think any of my neighbors wouldv'e done much to help in a situation like that.

You got just got efed up by a Hyundai SUV ....:star:

Heh heh, yeah a little bit...... ribs are quite a bit more sore today..... but it's far better than having a hole in the guest bedroom a few days before my folks are to use it over Thanksgiving...... :)

Good on ya Troy. I wish I had a neighbor like you. If anything like that happened to Steph while I was not around, she would have to fend for herself.

No...... you make sure she has our home number and my cell number..... I don't live THAT far away..... :thumbup:

Quarterly HOA news letter should read "Resident Jeep neighbor (the one who strips XJ's in front of his house off a trailer) saves home and women from Hyundai!!!

Heh heh - oddly enough, my "problem" neighbor drove by when the Hyundai was still sitting in the yard with the folded door as the husband and I were helping his wife out...... she came over asking what happened and I gave her the reader's digest version. I could care less if that puts me in anyone's good graces..... I'd have done the same for her...... but I'll take what good publicity I can get...... :laugh:

So when are you gonna finish parting and scrapping the Hyundai?

LOL Yeah I guess technically it had been wrecked and abandoned on my property ...... :D: But I let 'em have it back.

Last edited:
That is some crazy shite! Good work! :thumbup:

...... And I just noticed that my gas line/meter is right there on that corner of my house.....the tire marks in the grass put the car dead center on line to have smashed right into it...... :eek:

You, sir, are an flippin' hero! Glad everyone is ok (more or less). I can honestly say that I have never been thrown into a situation like that before, and hope that it stays that way!

I’ve got some tender ribs along my right side from landing on the center console. Crazy.

You're not as young as you used to be.....you got to quit doing that stuff.:jester:

You're not as young as you used to be.....you got to quit doing that stuff.:jester:
I dont think there is any more or less pain as I age, it just stays longer. :D

Glad you helped your neighbors out and saved the house. Outstanding work, it's too bad there aren't more people like you out there. How close did it come to your Truck?

Back