• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Advice of snow tires...

MJ3000

NAXJA Forum User
First a little bit of info on my 01 XJ. I put on the RE 3.5" superride about 3 months ago with Treadwright MTR look a likes on Rubicon moab wheels. The tires have about 3000 miles on them now and show little signs of wear.

For some reason or another my dad insists that I need new winter tires. Now I know all terrains do better in a few inches of snow and mt's do better in the deep stuff. My dad however thinks these tires are terrible in the rain and snow without ever driving on them. I think they do quite well in slick conditions. I don't see a problem with the MTR's? I'd rather have my parents spend money on lockers or a winch that a new set of tires and wheels that I really don't need.

Thoughts?

A wide mud tire, with big lugs will perform less favorably in snow, deep or not than a slightly thinner tire with more defined lugs. In some situations floating on top of the snow is OK, but for true traction and handling ability you want to cut through the snow to get to the hard road beneath.

BFG A/T's (or a lookalike) are really the best way to go, expensive yes. Look for the little snow capped mountain on the side wall of the tire for the best rated snow tires, studded even better.

ROAD.jpg

I had "real" Mt/Rs on my MJ. With a detroit and it worked just fine in the snow. I wouldnt bother with snow tires with MT/Rs

I wouldn't have any reason to stop someone from buying me any tires.
If you're
a) living under their roof
b) under 18yrs of age
c) on their insurance
d) willing to buy "el cheapo" rims for the tires

let them buy the tires and use them through the winter-- it'll give them peace of mind and save your treadwrights for spring time.

IMO, BFG A/Ts are not that great and over priced.
If you do not get actual "snow tires" I recommend Bridgestone Dueler A/Ts or Dayton Timberline AT's, siping will definitely help as well. When I was living in WA state I just ran my Timberline ATs on my Dakota and had no problems. My old black Jeep had some low priced GY Wrangler SR-As that did great too even on ice.

Yes, they said they are buying. :woohoo: I still have my original Ecco wheels that came from the factory with my XJ. I am actually starting to like this idea mainly cause its free.

Any other suggestions for tires? I'm thinking maybe getting the Treadwright BFG lookalikes since I'm in love with their MTR's.

Im still sorta confused on why AT's are better in snow too...I just think that something with more aggresive tread like the mtr will dig really well in snow where AT's can't. Can anyone give me a better understanding of this?

Your parents don't care which is better in deep snow, they just don't want you sliding off the road when it's icy. So let them buy you a good set of studded snow tires. With your lift, try to find a set of 33x9.5's or 33x10.5's.

As far as deep snow traction goes, I don't think tread pattern really matters. I have wheeled deep Sierra snow in many different treads from bfg at's, mt's, swampers radial and bias from 31's to 44's. A flexible carcass is key, and the tread pattern is far less important. The ability to hold a bead at 0-2 psi is most important. Hint... Beadlocks.

I have a terrible snow addiction and I spend a lot of time in the mountains during the winter. It's all about the ice. If you’re traveling at highway or freeway speeds with freezing conditions you need a real snow tire studded or studless preferably a quality brand. Bridgestone Blizzak’s are my favorite they work well on ice even better than studded tires I’ve used in the past.

A compromise that may make you and your parents happy are Green Diamond Tires or TreadWright with Kedge Grip. I'm not a big fan of these type of tires but I would choose them any day over a tire not rated for ice and snow.

I just noticed on TreadWrights website it looks like for a nominal fee they will imbed broken beer bottles for you.

Yes, they said they are buying. :woohoo: I still have my original Ecco wheels that came from the factory with my XJ. I am actually starting to like this idea mainly cause its free.

Any other suggestions for tires? I'm thinking maybe getting the Treadwright BFG lookalikes since I'm in love with their MTR's.

Im still sorta confused on why AT's are better in snow too...I just think that something with more aggresive tread like the mtr will dig really well in snow where AT's can't. Can anyone give me a better understanding of this?
Well, the Goodyear MT/r (and the treadwright knockoff) are a Maximum Traction tire, not Mud Terrain. If you look at the reviews, the MT/r's do really good in snow/on ice. But a really good AT tires will do good or better. Depending on the tire they are siped from the factory.
Honestly, if you know how to drive then you are a step ahead already. I understand how parents are. I am glad that I did not grow up in a place that had snow/ice because of how my mom is. LOL.

Maybe have your current tires siped?

I have been running Goodyear MTRs on my Jeeps (2 XJs and a Grand Waggy) and the Wife's Full Size Bronco. Once we put the MTRs on the Bronco, she found that she did not need the 4WD as much as she did before. Draw your own conclusions about the traction...

I run Firestone Winterforce snow tires from Dec. thru March and they work great in the snow, slush, and especially ice conditions. When driving on well traveled streets with packed down snow, nothing will give you the traction of a dedicated snow tire. A mud terrain type tire works well in deep, untravelled snow. Without all the siping and extra soft compund that a snow tire has, they just can't grip as well. The Firestones were only $75 each in a 245/75R16 size from the Tirerack. And since they only get used for 3-4 months out of the year, they will last for 5-6 years.

Last edited:
Another vote for Blizzaks, I had a set on a 2wd Ranger and it would push snow as long as it was weighted down in the rear. They wear a good long time as well.

OP you mentioned rain was a concern, I vote a solid no on BFG A/t's for rainy conditions.
my treadwright A/T knockoffs do like to hydroplane, is that why you're saying this or is there another reason I haven't found yet? :scared: when they aren't hydroplaning they do pretty OK.

I'll have to agree with the Firestone Winterforce. After just moving to NC from Upstate New York and running these in the winter up there they performed GREAT in all aspects. I delivered pizza as a second job too, so I was always out when the roads were covered. Everyone likes the Blizzaks up there as well, never ran them myself but they are about twice the price. And the Winterforce tires ARE studdable.

when they aren't hydroplaning they do pretty OK.

I bet they are I just haven't found a time when they don't hydroplane :D.

I ran 33" BFG a/t's on my 96 xj they slipped constantly lightrain/heavyrain/snow and don't even think about the mud. (new on it when I bought it)

I have BFG A/t knock offs on my f250 my tires break loose when second gear hits(automatic) on dry ground. Also slide alot when slightly wet. (brand new tires, on it when I bought it.)
Keep in mind the tire compound can contribute to this and being a knockoff who knows how close it is.

I got some cheapo Pirelli scorpian atr's and they stick like glue to the pavement no matter how wet. (unknown offroad)

Last edited:
I run a set of Hankook I-Pike W409's in the winter. Much cheaper than the Blizzaks or the Nokian Hakkapeliittas. They're studable and don't look too bad. I'm a big fan of snow tires, very good winter performance with the softer rubber and increased siping. What size are you looking for?

Back