• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LT1 Swap into my '88 XJ

"beej"

NAXJA Forum User
Noob to this forum, so flame if you must.

Just thought I would start a thread about swapping an LT1 into my '88 XJ

From hours upon hours of research I was unable to find anyone that had done this exact swap, so I figured I would share my info, plans and parts list, in case anyone else was considering a swap of this nature.

Start off with what I have and how I got it

LT1 from a '94 Buick Roadmaster, with the vented Opti-spark, also included harness and computer
( Got the running car for free, was paid $200 by the customer to remove parts that would work on his "new" roadmaster after "totaling" the old one. scraped the car, cat converter and aluminum wheels for $350", also sold the transmission for an additional $50)

700r4 and 231C HD (traded a rifle, that i paid $200, to a guy on craigslist for a 4.3/700r4/t-case. sold the 4.3 $100 and kept all the accessories for possible install on the LT1)

Free corvette servo for the tranny

homemade egr block off plates

modified water pump

Airfoil for t-body

3 pack of 11" electric fans

Things I'm planning on getting/using

Novak motor mounts (they seem to be much nicer than the AA ones, and offer adjustability)

ecm reflashed by lt1 swap.com (very reasonably priced, has good reviews on some of the f-body car sites, can remove VATS and all emissions, a/c and electronic trans controls)

exhaust: will be attempting to use the stock manifolds and then fabbing the rest up from scratch

will be attempting to use the stock fuel pump and fuel lines

Progress so far

Old engine removed

Harness stripped down in cherokee to remove all the old renix and trans controls

harness from lt1 stripped down and sorted out

basically just waiting for a few more dollars to purchase the motor mounts, motor is cleaned up and ready to go in.

Why am I doing this?

Old motor was very very tired

Tranny was no longer shifting properly

Because I basically got a running v8 for free??

looks like i will be gaining about 110hp, and maybe more considering how worn out the old 4.0 was

Yes I know that there are issues with the opti spark, but if you use common sense I really don't think it is as big a problem as people make it out to be. The opti has a new cap and rotor and has been silicone sealed it is also the vented kind which does alleviate a lot of the issues with moisture, how ever i will be taking other precautions to prevent water intrusion. Also after i get it up and running I'm going to work on a custom fabbed intake and distributor to rid the motor of the optispark, but still retain the current electronics and ecm

Current Specs

88 XJ

Mileage=an assload

front suspension= 7 inch custom front springs with rusty's high clearance long arm kit

rear= custom springs with a little block and a shackle

steering= homebuilt junk

cage= dirty home fabbed, but trail/rollever tested

I will add some pics later.............

couple older pics
l_005de72a9d18c4a03876252056d71f37.jpg

l_186c658df1e604528c0735427892f00a.jpg

Yes I know it's a p.o.s. and there are a lot of things on it that look horrible.................

Last edited:
Add a custom radiator to that list along with electric fans and shroud, probably custom power steering hoses, chevy throttle cable, tranny linkage, drivelines, small power steering pulley and shorter belt.

Add a custom radiator to that list along with electric fans and shroud, probably custom power steering hoses, chevy throttle cable, tranny linkage, drivelines, small power steering pulley and shorter belt.

yes, just hadn't gotten that far in editing my og post, but thanks;);)

and as for the radiator, i have a heavy duty brass 4 core radiator, from a '95 rh drive XJ(postal jeep)(dont quote me on the specs, cause i cant remember exactly from when i got it) that i'm gonna try to re-use. if i stick with the stock lt1 accessories, the power steering pump and lines will be re-used, and I'm also considering using the steering box that came from the donor car. will need a gm throttle cable and shift cable. may modify the existing shifter or use one from a trans am/camaro or an early 90's blazer. drivelines will be the usual homebuilt junk to start with...........

Yes, radiator. I did the 5.3L but, I used the BeCool XJ/Chevy radiator. Got it from Jegs shipped with a gallon of BeCool antifreeze for 503 bucks. I screwed around a long time before deciding to spend the money, wish I had done it right away. I use a stock XJ electric fan and a 12" flexlite with a shroud I built, it stays nice and cool on the hottest days. Don't know about the LT1's, but the 5.3L power steering hose threaded right into the Jeep steering gearbox. You should be able to adapt the XJ throttle cable to work easily enough, not sure about the trans tho. I have the drive-by-wire, but I have seen the XJ throttle cable used on older LS motors. Why the smaller power steering pulley?

Good luck on the idea of the stock exhaust manifolds, probably too big. There are alternatives to the zillion dollar Novak ones. I used Hooker LS1 block huggers. See what Jegs and Summit offers for the LT1.

Branden at www.LT1Swap.com is awesome. You won't be disappointed using him. I did my own harness and computer programming, but he was still willing to help me a couple times for free when I got stumped. People I know that have paid him for work were happy with the service.

Yes, radiator. I did the 5.3L but, I used the BeCool XJ/Chevy radiator. Got it from Jegs shipped with a gallon of BeCool antifreeze for 503 bucks. I screwed around a long time before deciding to spend the money, wish I had done it right away. I use a stock XJ electric fan and a 12" flexlite with a shroud I built, it stays nice and cool on the hottest days. Don't know about the LT1's, but the 5.3L power steering hose threaded right into the Jeep steering gearbox. You should be able to adapt the XJ throttle cable to work easily enough, not sure about the trans tho. I have the drive-by-wire, but I have seen the XJ throttle cable used on older LS motors. Why the smaller power steering pulley?

Good luck on the idea of the stock exhaust manifolds, probably too big. There are alternatives to the zillion dollar Novak ones. I used Hooker LS1 block huggers. See what Jegs and Summit offers for the LT1.

Branden at www.LT1Swap.com is awesome. You won't be disappointed using him. I did my own harness and computer programming, but he was still willing to help me a couple times for free when I got stumped. People I know that have paid him for work were happy with the service.
this is good to hear

The throttle cable is to short to reach, but i can get one that will work for about$ from work

This LT1 is the iron head version so i'm not terribly worried about cooling issues, but if it comes down to it i will buck up and spend the $$ on the big boy radiator.

The stock exhaust manifolds are sort of like older ram horn manifolds, that kind of hug the block where the dump out in the rear. we will see when i get that far.

my quick and dirty solution to prevent weep hole from draining onto the opti-spark. will have a small hose attached that will be routed down the front of the engine to allow leakage to drain away from opti in case water pump seals fail.
SDC13561.jpg

throttle body all degunked and reinstalled with airfoil
SDC13562.jpg

Just an FYI, what you have there is a "Baby LT1", it's a 265CI not a true 350. Don't be surprised if you don't see the power you'd like out of it. I'd stick with the 4.0 before I put a baby lt1 in mine.

just an fyi,no it's a 350, it just has ironheads. verified with the casting numbers off the block............the 4.3 v8 came in the caprices mostly.........

SDC13564.jpg

Last edited:
"350 - There are two blocks, one with two-bolt mains and one with four-bolt mains. They both have the same 10125327 casting number, so there’s no sure way to know which one you have until you get the pan off.

265 - There was only one block used for the 265 cid version of the LT1. It’s a 10168588 casting that had the numbers "4.3" cast on the side, too. It’s real easy to spot if the heads are off because of the small 3.74" bore."

SDC13565.jpg

For sure yank out that POS brake booster and master cylinder.

Why the smaller power steering pulley?

The power steering pump and accessory mounts on the 4.3 he is proposing to use puts the power steering pulley very low. On my 4.3 it misses the sector shaft u joint by 1/4". It moved forward on a V8 it will be in the steering box.

The power steering pump and accessory mounts on the 4.3 he is proposing to use puts the power steering pulley very low. On my 4.3 it misses the sector shaft u joint by 1/4". It moved forward on a V8 it will be in the steering box.

I may go with the stock lt1 one stuff, or possibly a bastardized combo of both............only time will tell.........;);)

For sure yank out that POS brake booster and master cylinder.
what should i put in it's place?
At the very least, a late model dual-diaphragm booster and m/s is a good upgrade. Also search around here for info on a Grand Cherokee front caliper swap.(although, if your other thread is any indication, you are probably going to end up with 1/2- or 3/4-ton brakes)

while you have everything out do what stockli said and pull that booster and master cylinder out.. go to a junk yard and get a MC and booster from a 1999-2004 Grand cherokee WJ..the yards around my town wanted alot for them so i just ordered new ones from partsgeek.com around the same price as what the yards around here wanted. but ive heard of people on here getting them for around $60-$100 at their local yards. I did it on my 89. the biggest difference you could imagine. My brakes were horrible epecially when i changed to 33s. now i can lock up 33s easily. and the swap was ridiculously easy. and you will def want it now that you will have a v8. here is a link to the best write up on this swap. do exactly what he did and it will work perfect.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=924285&highlight=brake+booster+master+cylinder+swap

good luck!

while you have everything out do what stockli said and pull that booster and master cylinder out.. go to a junk yard and get a MC and booster from a 1999-2004 Grand cherokee WJ..the yards around my town wanted alot for them so i just ordered new ones from partsgeek.com around the same price as what the yards around here wanted. but ive heard of people on here getting them for around $60-$100 at their local yards. I did it on my 89. the biggest difference you could imagine. My brakes were horrible epecially when i changed to 33s. now i can lock up 33s easily. and the swap was ridiculously easy. and you will def want it now that you will have a v8. here is a link to the best write up on this swap. do exactly what he did and it will work perfect.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=924285&highlight=brake+booster+master+cylinder+swap

good luck!
thanks for the link, I'll defiantely do this...........

Back