• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DAMIT

SharkXJ

NAXJA Member #1177
Well ya'all the Jeeps a goner. I totalled it Saturday evening. Was camping with my brother and my son Jack up at Jackson Meadow Res. We were exploring a fire road, came around a corner, the back spun out, I tried to correct it and when I did it took us up an embankment. The Driver tire hit first then threw us over and ended up on the driver side. The roof came down and hit me in the head pretty hard. I was actually stuck for a minute. My head and back hurt and I ahve a few scrapes. My son and brother are good to go, no scratches, only a couple of small bruises.

My wife and buddy picked us up and brought us home this morning. I ahve to be honest, it really freaked me out. We hit hard and fast, I wasn't going more than 25, it felt like we shot into the embankment. If my son wasn't with me I probably wouldn't be as freaked out. Having your little one in the car with you when you get into a wreck adds another level of stress and anxiety I can't explain. The first thing I told my brother was get Jack out of the car. His seat belt wouldn't release so I forced myself out of the spot I was in (probly why my neck hurts) and got my son out.

The Jeep is at a tow yard in Portola Valley near Sierraville. So now comes the fun part of dealing with the insurance company. No biggy though - not worried about that.

In the over all scheme of things all that matters is my boy isn't hurt.

I guess you could call this Clay Part 2 eh......

Well ya'all the Jeeps a goner. I totalled it Saturday evening. Was camping with my brother and my son Jack up at Jackson Meadow Res. We were exploring a fire road, came around a corner, the back spun out, I tried to correct it and when I did it took us up an embankment. The Driver tire hit first then threw us over and ended up on the driver side. The roof came down and hit me in the head pretty hard. I was actually stuck for a minute. My head and back hurt and I ahve a few scrapes. My son and brother are good to go, no scratches, only a couple of small bruises.

My wife and buddy picked us up and brought us home this morning. I ahve to be honest, it really freaked me out. We hit hard and fast, I wasn't going more than 25, it felt like we shot into the embankment. If my son wasn't with me I probably wouldn't be as freaked out. Having your little one in the car with you when you get into a wreck adds another level of stress and anxiety I can't explain. The first thing I told my brother was get Jack out of the car. His seat belt wouldn't release so I forced myself out of the spot I was in (probly why my neck hurts) and got my son out.

The Jeep is at a tow yard in Portola Valley near Sierraville. So now comes the fun part of dealing with the insurance company. No biggy though - not worried about that.

In the over all scheme of things all that matters is my boy isn't hurt.

I guess you could call this Clay Part 2 eh......

Damn! That sucks Mark. Sorry to hear it! Very glad your family is ok and that you will heal!
Good luck w/ the insurance company,
Billy

How did you loose control at 25? Do you have a Detroit locker in the back of that?

Glad your kid is ok, hate to think of what the wife would do to you if he even had a small bump . . .

That really sucks Mark. Happy you all are ok. Time to start over again.

Mark, that's pretty brutal. Glad things are OK. Let me know what I can do to help...seriously.

It's scary when stuff happens with kids in the car. Last winter we were up in the snow running an "easy" trail that was off camber and my rear axle was slipping downhill due to the Detroit. We slid to the side of the trail and were close enough to tumbling down the hill when we winched out and got back on the trail. If I was by myself it wouldn't have been as stressful. With my wife, 2 year old kid, and sister-in-law in the vehicle it was very stressful. I don't mind hurting myself, but the standard goes up when others are in the car.

At least my wife doesn't want to go wheeling again - that's a positive right?:cheers:

Glad everyone is OK. Tomorrow go get your head, back & neck checked to be sure.

Just got back from teh ER - had an x-ray and a c-san - all is good. Time for a beer and some vicotan.

Dave,
Not sure man, I really didn't check the rig out but I either hit a rut or a beed blew. I know for a fact I wasn't going much faster cause honestly, my XJ couldn't go faster casue we were going up hill. The angle of it threw it over..... It REALLY SUCKS - lemme tell you that.

Wow Mark, that really sucks. It was a really nice xj.

I hope you and everyone else inside recover quickly.

Let us know if we can do anything to help!

Wow Glade you are ok. Hopefully you have full coverage. Its a bad year for Cherokees What the Clunker bill didnt get we are taking care of our selves. That reminds me i should go see about getting full coverage.

Two glasses of wine and Vicotan did me ownders last night :) Didn't have any beer and the power was out so I settled for some 2 buck chuck....

I have full coverage so we will see how it works out. Progressive is going to have it towed to a yard in Rancho Cordova. It will be a couple of days before I hear anything about dollars. The bummer part is the rig isn't completely paid for. I only owe a couple grand but still - it's a couple grand. The GREAT part about all of this is the first thing my wife said (once she calmed down) is I could have her XJ and take the parts off of mine to build hers :) Then I just get her a small commuter car to get around town in.

great to hear you guys are ok!! I've noticed a few xj's getting totaled lately...Clayton, damn you, you started this!!!! ;). what I love is you're like "the jeeps totaled, everybody is ok, does anybody know where I can find another on to build?" it seems like the world is filled with so many victims, its really nice to see people who don't just give up or expect somebody else to take care of them. I have now doubt your new rig will be bad ass like the old one!

Two glasses of wine and Vicotan did me ownders last night :) Didn't have any beer and the power was out so I settled for some 2 buck chuck....

I have full coverage so we will see how it works out. Progressive is going to have it towed to a yard in Rancho Cordova. It will be a couple of days before I hear anything about dollars. The bummer part is the rig isn't completely paid for. I only owe a couple grand but still - it's a couple grand. The GREAT part about all of this is the first thing my wife said (once she calmed down) is I could have her XJ and take the parts off of mine to build hers :) Then I just get her a small commuter car to get around town in.

As long as everyone on your side is fine - you've got the big half done.

You lost power last night as well? Where? My block (Hillsdale on the West side of Jarvis) lost power, and I couldn't go to bed until it was back on (had to stay up to keep the MIL on her oxygen...) Any idea what caused it?

Really sorry to hear about the Jeep, it was a really nice one. But glad you and your's are alright. Hopefully you'll be able to get the wife's XJ built so you can be back on the trails again. Both my daughters still remember "look up!" Mark, and that was, what, 2 years ago now? Hope to see ya out there again soon.

Thanks for the nice replys everyone.....

Rob - that's hillarious - hahaha That was awhile ago eh..

My wheelin trips are done for the year so once I get my rig back here I can take my time gutting it and figuring out my next step. A friend of mine is a fabricator and would help me chop it and throw in a cage. The problem with that is I don't have a tow rig and my wife doesn't want to drive her XJ anymore. I can't afford payments on a tow rig, her XJ and another car so unfortuantely chopping it is not an option.

On a seperate note -

When and If I get the XJ back I will probably be parting out what ever is left of the interior and motor. I will probably keep the T-Case and I will definitely be keeping the suspension, Winch, Axels and possibly the rims and tires. I will keep you guys posted and if there is anything you want lemme know and we can chat (send me a pm - it's easier).

I don't want to spend hours upon hours ripping stuff out for people so I am willing to bring prices way down if you wanted to come by and we rip it out together.

Back