• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans coolers

As far as the synthetic motor oil I think you had problems before. I started using amsoil at 100k or so and had no issues and it doesn't burn a drop.

I tried the synthetic at 230,000 miles, I had no problems till I switched, I have used dyn oil ever since with no issues. Still have the same head gasket with no leaks since I went back to dyn oil. I have 291,000 miles on the beast now. I mention this because switching to synthetics, which some here have done, can make every seal in the rig leak like crazy. Starting out with synthetic in a new engine or transmission may be fine but adding or switching to synthetic can clean up and dislodge waxes and varnish that plug up ports and cause serious damage.....and make non leaking seals leak. Not sure about IV, synthetic?, but I think DEX VI is the new one, it is synthetic, for >2007 year rigs? I do not know anyone that is using Dex IV.

Did some Googling, this was an eye opener.
http://www.pqiamerica.com/
Old debate on the same topic, there are many more.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-974480.html

I think all DEx VI is at least semi synthetic, a synthetic blend, from the BITOG web site

"caravanmike
offline.gif

Loc: ohio Originally Posted By: Quadrasteer
Originally Posted By: Quadrasteer
The MAG 1 say full synthetic on their site but why not on the bottle, maybe it's on the back?? The other products say it on the front, just wondering...

He said that the Super Tech is the same exact product, don't know why they wouldn't put it on both of the bottles. Whatever.....

well according to molakule "For DexVI, the base oil must be at least a GroupIII to meet the oxidation spec."
with this being assumed true they don't need to put it on the bottle because all dex VI is synthetic (if you consider group III synthetic). so if you frequent the atf forum at bitog you know more about dex VI and don't need to read the marketing hype on the bottle!

so does that mean their is no such thing as a semi-synthetic dex VI?"

Last edited:
That is not an oil cooler, it is a towing package Transmission fluid cooler. The fluid is routed first to the Radiator to heat in the winter, then through the front of what you called an oil cooler, to cool overheating Transmission fluid when towing up hill climbs in the summer, then it returns to the transmission. Check the routing, you will see the line from the radiator connector to the cooler.
Thanks, as I said, I'd only assumed it was an oilcooler, from its appearance, & never investigated how/where it was plumbed in. It never occurred to me that the trans would be hooked up to the rad AND the cooler burt, then, before I got my 1st XJ, trans coolers were only something I'd read about.
For all that, a little surprised they have towing packages because, although they all have tow bars, they seem to be dealer installed.

The factory towing packages were for the higher end vehicles. Many Jeep folks are outdoor sorts with boats and trailers.... etc so the trailer packages must have been popular, as I see more of them with the trailer hitches than not.

Thanks, as I said, I'd only assumed it was an oilcooler, from its appearance, & never investigated how/where it was plumbed in. It never occurred to me that the trans would be hooked up to the rad AND the cooler burt, then, before I got my 1st XJ, trans coolers were only something I'd read about.
For all that, a little surprised they have towing packages because, although they all have tow bars, they seem to be dealer installed.

Back