• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'Nother dumb computer question

Eagle

Lifetime NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Older Toshiba Satellite Pro, has a single PS/2 port on the back. If I want to connect it to an external monitor and use it as a temporary desktop, can I use a 'Y' connector and have it recognize both an external keyboard AND an external mouse? Or am I stuck with one or t'other?

If I remember correctly the ps on the back will take either or but not both. Does it have the docking connector, should be a long thin one with a cover over it. Used the old motorized dock with a monitor stand.
Can't believe you still have that thing around.... you starting up an old laptop preservation society too :D :D :D
The docking stands those things used had a nic, ps2 kybd, mouse, scsi, parallel, two serials, video....and two blank slots for a floppy and a cd on the side.

most mice of now-a-days use a USB conection

plug the keyboard into the PS2 and the mouse in through one of the USB's...

and if you dont have a USB mouse - they are like 20.00...

i wish my toshiba had even 1 Ps2 port...
i got 3 usb's, 1 LPT, 1 S-Video, 1 VGA, 1 PCMA II, modem, 10/100, headphones, microphone...

nothing for keyboard... which sux when i want to plug into the KVM so i dont have to deal with moving from my server rack to the couch... :D

XJ_ranger said:

i got 3 usb's, 1 LPT, 1 S-Video, 1 VGA, 1 PCMA II, modem, 10/100, headphones, microphone...

nothing for keyboard... which sux when i want to plug into the KVM so i dont have to deal with moving from my server rack to the couch... :D
Yeah, I have a USB port ... so I guess I have to spring for a USB mouse. Don't they make USB keyboards? I think that's your answer, too.

XJ_ranger said:

That laptop that eagle has requires that it be crank started....he's at heart a masochist and that laptop has been interesting, watching his trials and tribulations. Not to mention the cost evertime it dies... I've been keeping my eye out for one for him that does not require being turned upside down and shook to erease the display :laugh3:

Eagle said:
Yeah, I have a USB port ... so I guess I have to spring for a USB mouse. Don't they make USB keyboards? I think that's your answer, too.

Just got an idea, may work, may not, there is a device out there that has a USB connector on one end and two ps2 kyb and mouse plugs on the other. Mine was about $14 or so, needed it to work on one of those cheap gateways with all USB
The model number is UPS2C made by Kingwin. Most computer shops should have them, I am assuming they will work on usb1.0 but I'm not sure.

I will check it out. Thank you.

BTW -- you gave away my secret. I need the external monitor because the sand in my built-in Etch-A-Sketch display doesn't stick to the glass like it used to and it's hard to read the letters.

Eagle said:
I will check it out. Thank you.

BTW -- you gave away my secret. I need the external monitor because the sand in my built-in Etch-A-Sketch display doesn't stick to the glass like it used to and it's hard to read the letters.

do you need a laptop?

cuse i got like 10 desktops with p3 450's in them and 16mb graphics cards here... and could ship one to you... they are worthless for gaming, but great for webwheeling and working as a backup RAID server...

let me know

Back